[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

2 hours ago, panzer1b said:

(namely RCS as i like the revamped stock ones better with actual glow anims

I've been meaning to investigate whether it's worth doing that at some point. I'm still not certain it is, but it's fair game for the next update. Glad you're enjoying the mod though.

2 hours ago, panzer1b said:

I havent actually modded KSP in a while (too busy irl), but do you know how to make the textures more reflective like your metal texture on things like the structural panels, short adaptors, 2.5m metal tanks, ect?  I want to make a texture for the wing parts thats like bare metal style, but i want it to be shinier then the base texture (ive tried a light grey color, cant get it to shine like 2.5m tanks do).  Is this a 3d model thing id have to edit, or is it purely something i need to mess with texture or its normal maps to accomplish?

If I understand you right you probably have to modify the specular exponent, a material property. You can actually do this with restock's plugin with the ModuleRestockModifyMaterials module. Elsewise you need to do it on export from the model. 

13 hours ago, KSPrynk said:

Follow up to above: I've been picking through the ReStock .cfg file for the parachutes.  At first glance, I don't see a way to separately re-scale the drogue canopies, to correspond to their effective areas as they do in Stock, without re-scaling the size of the container model.  Tweaking this shouldn't be a craft-breaking edit, as I believe the canopies themselves don't interact with anything, other than what their specified drag-cubes state.

I mean, for the drogue vs standard distinction, i'd say it's a different type of parachute rather than the same but with different area, but eh. If you tell me exactly what you think needs to be done (particular scaling factors for each canopy) I can look into doing it. It's not very high priority though and I would prefer to stay away from those horrid things if I can :P.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:51 PM, KSPrynk said:

Is it the standard vs drogue parachutes?  I've noticed the ReStock radial standard chute (Mk2-R) and the radial drogue chute (Mk12-R) are visually the same size when deployed, even though the effective area of the drogues are lower, and the drogue container is smaller than the standard.  The Mk16-XL and Mk25 drogue make a little more sense, because they're multiple parachutes, though you're getting two chutes in the Mk25 from a container that spits out three chutes of the same size on the Mk16-XL.  The chute area vs deployed visual size vs container size seems counter-intuitive.

Oh dont worry about it I fixed it. And also anyone else with this problem if you have realchute installed the two conflict and will not work so you might have to remove one.

Running into weird issues with Restock.  It is causing attachment offest problems (T400 has  quarter tank of empty space between the attachment point and other objects) and breaking parts to the point that they can't be used (for example, RM 64 can't be attached, it only has one attach point).

Not sure if it is due to a conflict with some other mod I have installed.  I have not really started investigating.

8 hours ago, Geowil said:

Running into weird issues with Restock.  It is causing attachment offest problems (T400 has  quarter tank of empty space between the attachment point and other objects) and breaking parts to the point that they can't be used (for example, RM 64 can't be attached, it only has one attach point).

Not sure if it is due to a conflict with some other mod I have installed.  I have not really started investigating.

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/issues/581 is a good start for the first issue.

If RM64 = Rockomax 64, we have not tracked any issues with this part, you'll need to provide more information (log, mod list, screenshot of the issue,etc). A good place to start is the New Issue button on github, it will give you a template of useful information. 

On 1/25/2020 at 11:04 PM, Nertea said:

I've been meaning to investigate whether it's worth doing that at some point. I'm still not certain it is, but it's fair game for the next update. Glad you're enjoying the mod though.

If I understand you right you probably have to modify the specular exponent, a material property. You can actually do this with restock's plugin with the ModuleRestockModifyMaterials module. Elsewise you need to do it on export from the model. 

I mean, for the drogue vs standard distinction, i'd say it's a different type of parachute rather than the same but with different area, but eh. If you tell me exactly what you think needs to be done (particular scaling factors for each canopy) I can look into doing it. It's not very high priority though and I would prefer to stay away from those horrid things if I can :P.

@Nertea, yeah, I'm guessing cut-out rings/holes and intended operating speed dictate the design-to drag goals which KSP has to approximate an effective drag and area value to.  So, after attempting to infer the mathematical reasons for the Stock chute scaling, I gave up and resorted to visual measurements, i.e., taking some screenshots and doing scaling measurements in Powerpoint.  This may have no bearing on real parachute physics, but at least it's somewhat more intuitive, and approximately scaled for whatever Stock was going for.  Assuming the Mk16 inline chute canopy is the baseline model (8-10 meter deployed visual diameter?), my suggested scaling values are:

Mk12-R Radial Drogue --> 40% of Mk16 canopy

Mk16 Inline Chute --> No change

Mk2-R Radial Chute --> 80% of Mk16 canopy

Mk25 Inline Drogue --> 25% of Mk16 canopy (assumes ReStock 2-chute cluster)

Mk16XL Inline Chute --> No change (assumes ReStock 3-chute cluster)

I don't know if the semi-deployed canopy scaling will automatically scale proportionally if the fully deployed value is changed.  If other forum members can point me to a way to re-scale the canopies in certain .cfg files, I'd double check this myself to see if this passes a sanity check.

Edited by KSPrynk

On 1/30/2020 at 1:37 AM, wlafrance said:

By any chance, has anybody encountered this bug before? The launch clamp girders are invisible.

I'm still in the early stages of troubleshooting, but I thought I'd ask here just in case.

I saw something like that using Restock/+ 1.0.3 in KSP 1.7.3, and the clamps didn't decouple when I launched the rocket- they stayed stuck to the boosters and went flying with the rest of it. I haven't used them since then.

Are you using KSP 1.7.3 or 1.8(.1)?

Is there any plan to include on Restock patches for compatibility with major mods? Like the entire constelation of mods from Rover Dude (Mks, FTT, etc). I saw how to whitelist  some parts, but the amount of parts that don't compile is huge. It's a terrible manual work to include one by one. 

43 minutes ago, Danilo Coelho said:

Is there any plan to include on Restock patches for compatibility with major mods? Like the entire constelation of mods from Rover Dude (Mks, FTT, etc). I saw how to whitelist  some parts, but the amount of parts that don't compile is huge. It's a terrible manual work to include one by one. 

I submitted Pull Requests to add whitelists to RoverDude's USI mods a while back but as if this time he has not accepted them into the mods. 

You can go grab them from the open Pull Requests, I think, off the top of my head, they were for MKS, FTT and Karbonite.

EDIT: RoverDude has just been made aware of this and I expect will accept the PRs in due course. :D

Edited by Poodmund

@Danilo Coelho these are the parts that I whitelisted when using MKS, FTT and Karbonite:

• Squad/Parts/Resources/RadialDrill/ 
  • Squad/Parts/Command/advancedSasModuleLarge/
  • Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortSr/ 

These were the only stock parts that were referenced in RoverDude's mods as far as I am aware. Please let me know if you are aware of any more parts not working correctly.

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

@Danilo Coelho these are the parts that I whitelisted when using MKS, FTT and Karbonite:

• Squad/Parts/Resources/RadialDrill/ 
  • Squad/Parts/Command/advancedSasModuleLarge/
  • Squad/Parts/Utility/dockingPortSr/ 

These were the only stock parts that were referenced in RoverDude's mods as far as I am aware. Please let me know if you are aware of any more parts not working correctly.

Thanks man!

@Nertea and restock+ team? Just a heads up, regarding the part:

FL-S1200 Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 1.875m soyuz-style LFO tank (White, Black and White, Dark Grey/Orange variants). Disabled if Making History is installed.

This part does show up in the R+D building, and can be paid for in a career, even if you have the making history dlc. I just spent 20 minutes digging through part folders in my install trying to find it and figure out where it was coming from, and why I could see it in the R+D but it wasn't showing up in the VAB/SPH. It's no big deal, no that i know it's supposed to be disabled since i have the DLC, just wish i'd have realized that before I sank funds into it in the R+D menu. Thought I'd mention it here, and if there's something that can be done to stop it from being visible in R+D, maybe I'll save the next person the frustration of not understanding why the part that was just paid for isn't showing up anywhere. ;):D

I currently have the Making History DLC installed and as a result I do not have access to the RE-I2 'Caravel' Liquid Fuel Engine, among other parts. I was wondering if there is a way to load both the Caravel engine and the Skiff engine that comes with the Making history DLC. They have different stats and are located in different locations locations in my tech tree, so in my mind it would be great to have both. The black/whitelist guide on the Wiki seems to be geared toward mod creators and has left me confused. Thank you, and what a wonderful mod restock and restock+ are.

There might be a slight issue with Restock Terrier and Spark engines, they keep their shroud on whatever you do so I can't see the new appearance of the engine other than in VAB part list.

I also have Missing History mod, does it conflict since it has basically the same parts, I might have to take it off. (So I have two Pug engines in my list, one with variants, the other one without)

FYI, I'm on 1.8.1 with both MH and BG DLCs and using the last to date Restock and Restock+ versions in the latest JNSQ and Kopernicus.

Has anyone else encountered multiple ReStock & ReStock+ engines not having smoke trails?   Originally I figured it was a conflict with some other mod, but after recently playing an alternate version with mostly different mods, I encountered the same issue.  At that point, I installed ReStock & MM (only) in my Test install and deleted all other mods as well as the partsdatabase.cfg.  And I'm still seeing the same issue:

Twin Boar:

zRMK6Lf.png?1

MH Kodiak with 4 Cubs:

k75SAbJ.png?1

I haven't checked every engine in this save, and I remember the Restock+ Boar had the same problem in my main install, but I never made a complete list.

Thanks for any help

I tried Restock with a stock game and MM. Terrier appears normal, so I guess one of my mods appeals to the deprecated LV909 texture without Restock knowing it and thus duplicating the thing.

But I'm not able to determine which mod does.

I tried to ditch the older ones but none of them seems to be the origin of the problem.

Trying to add a blacklist line ti the Restock blacklist with old LV909 seems to work. But it is hazardeous since I don't know the source.

Edit, after some investigation, it appears that a certain KSC Legacy variants was the culprit since it appeals for the old engine variants textures and made them overlap the Restock ones.

After further verification, the reason I took this mod was even flawed since it didn't even contain the part I was looking for (the Mk1-3 command pod for design compatibility with ModPods from Tiktaalik Dreaming that I frequently use)

So it is no use to me.

4 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

There might be a slight issue with Restock Terrier and Spark engines, they keep their shroud on whatever you do so I can't see the new appearance of the engine other than in VAB part list.

I also have Missing History mod, does it conflict since it has basically the same parts, I might have to take it off. (So I have two Pug engines in my list, one with variants, the other one without)

FYI, I'm on 1.8.1 with both MH and BG DLCs and using the last to date Restock and Restock+ versions in the latest JNSQ and Kopernicus.

@Nertea I noticed something similar about the Terrier. Upper stages with Terriers that already dropped their lower stages during a 1.7.3 save without Restock but a lot of other mods, are showing shrouds again after migrating that save to a 1.8.1 copy where I added Restock and even more mods. I use JNSQ like the quoted post, but I do not have MH or BG.

Changing versions and mods in the middle of a large saved game makes me an outlier that might not be worth diagnosing. The Terrier works as far as I can tell, it just looks funny. Zipped logfile provided if it helps you and others.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Gv7E9EGcbXPOAa-4A8CH1e4M49bJ2Ct/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

I tried Restock with a stock game and MM. Terrier appears normal, so I guess one of my mods appeals to the deprecated LV909 texture without Restock knowing it and thus duplicating the thing.

But I'm not able to determine which mod does.

I tried to ditch the older ones but none of them seems to be the origin of the problem.

Trying to add a blacklist line ti the Restock blacklist with old LV909 seems to work. But it is hazardeous since I don't know the source.

Edit, after some investigation, it appears that a certain KSC Legacy variants was the culprit since it appeals for the old engine variants textures and made them overlap the Restock ones.

After further verification, the reason I took this mod was even flawed since it didn't even contain the part I was looking for (the Mk1-3 command pod for design compatibility with ModPods from Tiktaalik Dreaming that I frequently use)

So it is no use to me.

Cool beans. 

23 hours ago, vardicd said:

@Nertea and restock+ team? Just a heads up, regarding the part:

FL-S1200 Liquid Fuel Tank (Nertea): 1.875m soyuz-style LFO tank (White, Black and White, Dark Grey/Orange variants). Disabled if Making History is installed.

This part does show up in the R+D building, and can be paid for in a career, even if you have the making history dlc. I just spent 20 minutes digging through part folders in my install trying to find it and figure out where it was coming from, and why I could see it in the R+D but it wasn't showing up in the VAB/SPH. It's no big deal, no that i know it's supposed to be disabled since i have the DLC, just wish i'd have realized that before I sank funds into it in the R+D menu. Thought I'd mention it here, and if there's something that can be done to stop it from being visible in R+D, maybe I'll save the next person the frustration of not understanding why the part that was just paid for isn't showing up anywhere. ;):D

I think there might be a syntax issue in the MH disabling patch, I looked at it and there's an @ instead of a %. That would result in the object showing up in the tech tree. 

We'll have this fixed for the next version. 

6 hours ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

I can't reproduce this, I assume you are seeing some kind of conflict with a mod. 

25 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

@Nertea I noticed something similar about the Terrier. Upper stages with Terriers that already dropped their lower stages during a 1.7.3 save without Restock but a lot of other mods, are showing shrouds again after migrating that save to a 1.8.1 copy where I added Restock and even more mods. I use JNSQ like the quoted post, but I do not have MH or BG.

Changing versions and mods in the middle of a large saved game makes me an outlier that might not be worth diagnosing. The Terrier works as far as I can tell, it just looks funny. Zipped logfile provided if it helps you and others.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_Gv7E9EGcbXPOAa-4A8CH1e4M49bJ2Ct/view?usp=sharing

The Jettison module is a real mess. If you have something that has jettisoned its shroud it is tracked by specific object name, so if we replace something we have to make sure it has the identical name. We had some initial issues with this way back in 0.1.0/0.1.1 but there shouldn't be any issues now - and haven't been seen in a while. 

If you can confirm anything specific please let us know. 

3 hours ago, Cavscout74 said:

Has anyone else encountered multiple ReStock & ReStock+ engines not having smoke trails?   Originally I figured it was a conflict with some other mod, but after recently playing an alternate version with mostly different mods, I encountered the same issue.  At that point, I installed ReStock & MM (only) in my Test install and deleted all other mods as well as the partsdatabase.cfg.  And I'm still seeing the same issue:

I hate the stock smoke and probably forgot to add it back. 

Woe is me...

Sorry for the double post to which you reacted to, the second one you quoted was my first before I investigated further.

To add to my post, the mod conflict I had also had the effect ot creating an infinite spam of duplicates into the Tech Tree screen, each time I loaded it, there were more and more duplicates. Removing the problematic mod cured it for new saves done after the removal but not for the older ones since I would have had to delete MM config cache (which I didn't, so I deleted my save altogether, I wasn't really advnced on it, only 17 days in, so it was no big deal)

31 minutes ago, Quoniam Kerman said:

To add to my post, the mod conflict I had also had the effect ot creating an infinite spam of duplicates into the Tech Tree screen...

Could you please elaborate as to what mod this was so that it can be looked into please?

I think that due to copyright, it has been  taken down by Squad.  It was called Legacy Variants or something like that, and I've been unable to find it back into the related forum section.  It was supposed to inclde old parts as variants of new parts.

Although it worked as intended in stock game (checked it myself yesterday), it seemed to interfere with Restock because it reincluded the old parts so it created a double into the part database and thus an infinite spam in the tech tree screen (as JadeofMaar seemed to think when I told him, that's what helped be diagnose the problem. By taken the mod off, I solved both the Terrier/Spark/Poodle textures problem and the spam.

The mpd existed before but used to be a config to reinstate deprecated parts that were still in the game database which is no longer the case, if memory serves. The concernd parts were Mk1 command pod, Spark, Terrier and Poodle Engines, and I must(ve read it bad because I wanted the Mk1-3 original command pod so it was effectively no use to me.

I don't remember who posted that mod on the other hand.