[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

1 hour ago, Puggonaut said:

Yes I've read it thanks , tried to get my head around it and failed badly .

If I remember, I'll take a look at the precise steps you'd need to follow and list them. It should be straightforward to give you a step-by-step for keeping the stock model & effects.

Could you let me know which of the following options you'd prefer?

1. Stock Vector model & effects. ReStock version unavailable;
  2. Stock Vector model & effects. ReStock version available under a slightly different name;
  3. ReStock Vector model, stock plume; (Not sure how it would look, but from the pictures above I think it'd look ok)
  4. [Some different idea]

Quoting this or @mentioning me should be enough to get me to remember. ;)

Restock 1.0.1

• Fixed lack of bundled ModuleManager
  • Updated Simplified Chinese localization (Duck1998)
  • Fixed an issue with the localization of the radial reaction wheel assembly (#742)
  • Fixed compatibility with FAR in a case where RealChute is NOT installed (#751)
  • Fixed compatibility with RealChute and NO FAR (#756)
  • Fixed Skippper orange boattail texture assignments (#754)
  • Fixed large truss piece collider scaling (#753)
  • Un-blacklisted legacy Squad spark model (we don't have an appropriate replacement anymore)

Restock+ 1.0.1

•  Fixed lack of bundled ModuleManager
  •  Updated Simplified Chinese localization (Duck1998)
  •  Fixed Cherenkov shroud texture assignments (#754)
  •  Fixed x-large truss piece collider scaling (#753)

Can anyone tell me - I'm a little gun shy to muck up my current save - does adding the Making Less History mod have bad effect when combined with ReStock+?  Specifically I'm thinking that it may double up a lot of parts because many RS+ parts are disabled and just have replacement art when Making History is installed.  Not sure how the loading would change and if the RS+ parts would be loaded alongside the MH parts.  I want to be sure I've still only got a single instance of parts.  I always want RS+ to "win" and be loaded.

Related, I've assumed but never fully verified that the RS+ parts that only replace art for Making History parts are exactly the same besides the way they look?  For example, the Kodiak and the Ursa are statistically identical, but they look different; that's my assumption.  So, my current understanding is, because I have Making History, I see the Kodiak in my parts list, but I expect that it has the look and stats of the Ursa from RS+.  Can anyone verify whether or not that's true?

Edited by Idleness

On 11/18/2019 at 12:37 PM, Jognt said:

If I remember, I'll take a look at the precise steps you'd need to follow and list them. It should be straightforward to give you a step-by-step for keeping the stock model & effects.

Could you let me know which of the following options you'd prefer?

1. Stock Vector model & effects. ReStock version unavailable;
  2. Stock Vector model & effects. ReStock version available under a slightly different name;
  3. ReStock Vector model, stock plume; (Not sure how it would look, but from the pictures above I think it'd look ok)
  4. [Some different idea]

Quoting this or @mentioning me should be enough to get me to remember. ;)

Thanks , I've managed to work it out now , just wanted to keep the stock Vector only , so after some trail and error , its done &)

1 hour ago, Idleness said:

Related, I've assumed but never fully verified that the RS+ parts that only replace art for Making History parts are exactly the same besides the way they look?  For example, the Kodiak and the Ursa are statistically identical, but they look different; that's my assumption.  So, my current understanding is, because I have Making History, I see the Kodiak in my parts list, but I expect that it has the look and stats of the Ursa from RS+.  Can anyone verify whether or not that's true?

What happens with the MH parts is that the RS+ parts get disabled if MH is present and the models get reused for the corresponding MH parts. If MH is installed, no stats for the MH engines are changed but if MH is not installed then all of the stats have to be made for the engine just as though it's a brand new engine. In this case, some of the engine stats are slightly different from the corresponding MH engine stats as some of the balancing feedback that has been given for the MH engines has been amalgamated into the RS+ engines.

I hope that makes sense.

TL;DR: If MH is installed, no stats changed. If no MH is installed, engines in RS+ that are similar to MH engines have slightly different stats. 

39 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

What happens with the MH parts is that the RS+ parts get disabled if MH is present and the models get reused for the corresponding MH parts. If MH is installed, no stats for the MH engines are changed but if MH is not installed then all of the stats have to be made for the engine just as though it's a brand new engine. In this case, some of the engine stats are slightly different from the corresponding MH engine stats as some of the balancing feedback that has been given for the MH engines has been amalgamated into the RS+ engines.

I hope that makes sense.

TL;DR: If MH is installed, no stats changed. If no MH is installed, engines in RS+ that are similar to MH engines have slightly different stats. 

It does make sense, thank you.  So, if I have MH and I want to use the RS+ stats and parts... there probably isn't a quick road to that?  If there was a switch I could flip in the RS+ config that did the reverse - disable the MH parts and use RS+ parts instead - I would do that in a heartbeat.

4 minutes ago, Idleness said:

It does make sense, thank you.  So, if I have MH and I want to use the RS+ stats and parts... there probably isn't a quick road to that?  If there was a switch I could flip in the RS+ config that did the reverse - disable the MH parts and use RS+ parts instead - I would do that in a heartbeat.

You could delete MakingHistoryPartHiding.cfg in the RestockPlus/Patches/ folder - this will stop the RS+ parts from being hidden. However there is no facility for doing the reverse quickly. Easiest way would be to go into the various files in Restock/PatchesMH/ and add these lines to each patch:

@TechHidden = True
  @category = none
  @subcategory = 0

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

You could delete MakingHistoryPartHiding.cfg in the RestockPlus/Patches/ folder - this will stop the RS+ parts from being hidden. However there is no facility for doing the reverse quickly. Easiest way would be to go into the various files in Restock/PatchesMH/ and add these lines to each patch:

@TechHidden = True
  @category = none
  @subcategory = 0

Clarity since I'm only just getting started with modding KSP - I need to put that somewhere in each of the files only - or within the {@PART[... } of each part described in the file?

3 hours ago, Idleness said:

Clarity since I'm only just getting started with modding KSP - I need to put that somewhere in each of the files only - or within the {@PART[... } of each part described in the file?

The latter.

I love this mod. I keep using it even though I get really weird aerodynamic fx.  The engine bodies seem to spray reentry particles all over the place.

Here are some screenshots.  It's a Kerbal X stock vessel.  The Poodle and Mainsail are the culprits in these images.  But every Restock engine I've flown does the same, in every variant(compact, boattail, etc).  I took the screenshots on a new save and fresh install of 1.8.1 with both DLC.  Restock and RestockPlus are the only two mods I ever put in that particular gamedata folder.

https://imgur.com/a/yHK98xT

Here's a link to my logs via OneDrive.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqn4i4RI2FnzgQzA0YnIE0DMM1cK?e=B8qyUO

Searching for relevant information has been a pain.  I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or if it's just me?

Edited by rUUk
changed link from ksp.log to a link for ksp.log AND player.log

You can already create a capless fairing.  In the VAB, through a pod and a tank and engine together.  Build a faring from the bottom and bring it up to the bottom of the capsule as normal.  If you close in on the capsule the close fairing dialogue should appear (in blue?).  Done.

On 11/19/2019 at 8:42 AM, Nertea said:

Restock 1.0.1

• Fixed lack of bundled ModuleManager
  • Updated Simplified Chinese localization (Duck1998)
  • Fixed an issue with the localization of the radial reaction wheel assembly (#742)
  • Fixed compatibility with FAR in a case where RealChute is NOT installed (#751)
  • Fixed compatibility with RealChute and NO FAR (#756)
  • Fixed Skippper orange boattail texture assignments (#754)
  • Fixed large truss piece collider scaling (#753)
  • Un-blacklisted legacy Squad spark model (we don't have an appropriate replacement anymore)

Restock+ 1.0.1

•  Fixed lack of bundled ModuleManager
  •  Updated Simplified Chinese localization (Duck1998)
  •  Fixed Cherenkov shroud texture assignments (#754)
  •  Fixed x-large truss piece collider scaling (#753)

Great! Works fine! Thanks alot.

On 11/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, TomVorat said:

Is there any way I can use ReStock v1.0.1 in KSP v1.7 without it breaking? I love all the new parts but most of my mods don't work in v1.8.

Sorry, nope.  For two reasons: (1) Plugins compiled for KSP 1.8 will not work on 1.7 (this is not always the case but some of the underlying libraries in KSP underwent a very major upgrade in this release which renders the compiled plugins incompatible, at least in that direction and (2) 1.8-era part changes have made their way into ReStock (e.g. the new solid boosters)

I am currently digging into Restockplus in order to develop a config file for Tweakscale. While reviewing the cfg files something showed up about the way the config files and the parts are named.

Basically all files respect a naming like restock-fueltank-adapter-1875-0625-1 where several information can be found.

1/ All the files starts by restock. This is indeed a good idea ;)

2/ the last digit is for a variant or version number. Many parts ends with 1 as there is only one iteration.

3/ Optionally a set of digits indicates the size of the part

4/ Optionally a second set of digits indicates the second size of the part when it is actually an adapater.

5/ What is left in the middle is basically an item type. Some keywords are very useful to find out which scaling method should be used such as "radial", "adapter". Very smart move ;) 

I must say I love the strong governance you put in place regarding your developments.

Still, there are a few parts out of the ~90 which do not comply to this naming policy. Not sure they are all listed.

restock-engine-torch        -> no variant/version
restock-engine-125-pug      -> size is misplaced, no variant
restock-engine-125-valiant  -> size is misplaced, no variant
restock-engine-boar         -> no size, no variant
restock-engine-cherenkov    -> no size, no variant
restock-engine-375-corgi    -> size is misplaced, no variant

It is something which may evolve to get an enhanced consistency in the naming policy? That would help a lot to automatically generate a config file for Tweakscale by parsing the cfg files :p

(I want something to be clear. This is not a hidden requirement, this is a simple question. I have not written the program to generate such a config file yet, beyond parsing all parts and trying to find a method to find out which Scaling method should be used given the information provided in the cfg files. I don't even know whether players are interested in such a feature. In my case I would love to be able to resize structural adapters and some tanks. If a program had just to be rerun to take into account new Restock+ parts, that would be great and effortless.)

Yours sincerlery, DarkNounours.