[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

41 minutes ago, Gapone said:

What does the "Restock.dll" do? Can I remove it?

Among other functions, it facilitates the use of *.restockwhitelist & *.restockblacklist files.

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/blob/master/Source/Restock/ResourceBlacklist.cs

It also contains custom modules used by certain parts (non-exhaustive).

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/search?q=ModuleRestockModifyMaterials&unscoped_q=ModuleRestockModifyMaterials

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/search?q=ModuleRestockModifyFairingMaterials&unscoped_q=ModuleRestockModifyFairingMaterials

If you delete the DLL, you'll get all of the unused models and textures loaded into RAM. You'll also need to delete the configs that use the modules above.

Edited by Eridan

1 hour ago, Gapone said:

What does the "Restock.dll" do? Can I remove it?

If you want to see how many things break when you do that, go ahead.

E: I'll save you the trouble:

• Blacklist won't work, but per above you're ok with the extra loading time and ram usage, to each their own I guess
  • Fairings will look ugly
  • The solar panels will look ugly E2: apparently this is no longer the case
  • The few Mk2 parts I got around to adding normal maps for will no longer have them
Edited by blowfish

15 hours ago, marcb said:

Whenever I have the ReStock unziped in my GameData along with other mods, all space part disapear and I'm left with the plane ones. If I try to load a savegame, I have a warning because a very long list of spacecrafts (all?) are missing parts.

FYI, installing using CKAN yields the same problem. Has anyone used the mod on linux ? I'm trying to understand why I seem to be the only one having this problem

On 3/6/2019 at 12:20 AM, Nertea said:

There is an easy way around this as we provide a method to whitelist files. Check the entry on the Restock Wiki for more information about this. 

Apologies if I missed a discussion about this elsewhere, but all I see in the wiki are lists of parts. Is there documentation forthcoming on how to whitelist files?

(I wish I remembered that I had installed MissingHistory before I installed this mod. But that's on me.)

Edit, 3/11/19: @blowfish posted the link later in-thread. Thanks, blowfish!

Edited by LitaAlto

5 hours ago, marcb said:

FYI, installing using CKAN yields the same problem. Has anyone used the mod on linux ? I'm trying to understand why I seem to be the only one having this problem

That sounds exactly like someone else's problem one or two pages back, where they installed under GameData/GameData/Restock instead of just GameData/ReStock like it should be.

If CKAN does the same, then the install definition for it may need to be adjusted.

4 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

That sounds exactly like someone else's problem one or two pages back, where they installed under GameData/GameData/Restock instead of just GameData/ReStock like it should be.

If CKAN does the same, then the install definition for it may need to be adjusted.

I installed via CKAN and had no issues. I don't know if CKAN can be installed incorrectly such that installs mods in the wrong path. I have my ckan.exe installed in the main KSP directory and not in KSP/GameData

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

not my case... triple-check already ! and the mod is loaded as the blacklist seems applied.

1 hour ago, Tonka Crash said:

I installed via CKAN and had no issues. I don't know if CKAN can be installed incorrectly such that installs mods in the wrong path. I have my ckan.exe installed in the main KSP directory and not in KSP/GameData

ckan does install other mods correctly... that was mainly to rule out an install error on my side.

On 3/7/2019 at 9:43 AM, DMagic said:

Something similar came up during testing a few times. The culprit always seemed to be something wrong with the stock fuel tank configs.

Does this happen all of the time, or only when loading an existing vessel, or reverting to the VAB from flight?

I think the problem was related to upgrading KSP from 1.5 to 1.6 without doing a clean installation. Some of the old 1.25m fuel tank configs were doing something weird and caused problems like this. Deleting and re-downloading the Squad folder always fixed the problem.

I encountered the same issue, and indeed, removing the Squad folder and replacing it with a refresh from Steam did the trick.

I assume a lot of people update their KSP by letting Steam take care of it automatically (I do) -- even when it's copied over to a local folder afterwards. This might be worth listing in the documentation(?) as a known issue, together with the fix.

Amazing work, by the way. Absolutely breath-taking.

28 minutes ago, Kerbart said:

I assume a lot of people update their KSP by letting Steam take care of it automatically (I do) -- even when it's copied over to a local folder afterwards. This might be worth listing in the documentation(?) as a known issue, together with the fix.

Fun fact: not performing a fresh install for a major update has always been a source of potential faults with KSP, even during alpha. Way back then I adopted the habit of downloading KSP via Steam, copying it away to another folder, and then uninstalling the Steam copy. Just so I would never have a situation where Steam would try to install on top of an existing instance.

Looks like even many years later, that is still a prudent habit to keep :P

18 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

[cut by me] I adopted the habit of downloading KSP via Steam, copying it away to another folder, and then uninstalling the Steam copy. Just so I would never have a situation where Steam would try to install on top of an existing instance. [cut again by me]

Nowadays, they have the Betas - Squad uses it to allow users to easily "stick" to a specific KSP Version. Open the Properties for the game, look for the Beta tab.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:56 AM, deflatedfruit said:

I've found a bug where the Rhino engine's exhaust comes out the behind of the engine when pointing retrograde. See the screenshot. I have used TweakScale to scale the engine down to 2.5m, so I don't know if that is the cause of the issue. I can't test anything right now as I'm on the Mun, but has anyone else seen this? Many thanks for an incredible mod as well!

I think this is on TweakScale shoulder. Check this bugtrack, I included your issue there to check as time allows.

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/TweakScale/issues/27

18 minutes ago, blowfish said:

I added a wiki page on the blacklist/whitelist.  Feel free to give feedback about it if it's confusing

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Asset-Blacklist-and-Whitelist

So if you want a particular stock part to load, you copy that part path from the .restockblacklist file, and add it to your own .restockwhitelist file?

So say I wanted the 909 to be the stock version (the truss mount, etc) vs restock, I simply add Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-909_v2/ to a whitelist?

I don't see an example (or I'm too dim) for how to make a mod use the restock version if it is available (say the NTR in SSTU).

An explicit .restockwhitelist and .restockblacklist might be useful in the wiki.

Thanks!

1 minute ago, tater said:

So if you want a particular stock part to load, you copy that part path from the .restockblacklist file, and add it to your own .restockwhitelist file?

So say I wanted the 909 to be the stock version (the truss mount, etc) vs restock, I simply add Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineLV-909_v2/ to a whitelist?

I don't see an example (or I'm too dim) for how to make a mod use the restock version if it is available (say the NTR in SSTU).

An explicit .restockwhitelist and .restockblacklist might be useful in the wiki.

Thanks!

I'll incorporate that feedback, but also address it here:

• You can copy the path from the blacklist in some cases, but it may not always be appropriate.  For instance, if ReStock blacklists an entire directory and you want to only whitelist one or two files from it, you should do that instead.
  • Also note that this won't revert the part itself, which is changed with a ModuleManager patch, it simply allows KSP to load the models/textures again.
  • A mod would use the restock version by modifying the config, same as anything else.  Nothing to do with the blacklist/whitelist.  For instance:
MODEL
{
    model:NEEDS[!ReStock] = Squad/Parts/...
    model:NEEDS[ReStock] = ReStock/Assets/...
}

28 minutes ago, blowfish said:

I added a wiki page on the blacklist/whitelist.  Feel free to give feedback about it if it's confusing

https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/wiki/Asset-Blacklist-and-Whitelist

It would be helpful to have an example of what a log entry looks like that would indicate a missing model or texture. Having an example of the actual syntax would make a cut-and-paste find operation trivial. 

And let me add my voice to the chorus--you've all done a fantastic job! Thank you!

On 3/7/2019 at 6:21 AM, blowfish said:

For anyone using mods that are broken by the blacklisting of Squad models and textures, feel free to put me in contact with the mod authors/maintainers.  There's a simple file that can be added to those mods to prevent things from breaking.  On the other hand, they might consider adding patches to use the (better looking) ReStock assets if available.  I'm working on a wiki page so that this can be self-service in the future, but in the mean time I'm happy to work through it with anyone.

You might want to have a word with @Shadowmage. Restock seems to be messing up parts of SSTUlabs' , so far I've seen problems with the LVN cluster-able variants.

57 minutes ago, tater said:

Not specifically related to the Squad parts, but using Ven's Stock Revamp, is the whitelisting process another way to have preference for certain Ven parts instead of ReStock/Stock?

For example, I prefer the structural trusses from Ven's to what I've seen from ReStock (or maybe it's just the Stock ones?), so if I want Ven's to be used instead I should create a whitelist file for those parts from Ven's?

Sorry, I'm not super-clear on how it all works (but I'll try and look at the wiki page, too). Appreciate any help ya'll can provide!

1 hour ago, Sudragon said:

. Restock seems to be messing up parts of SSTUlabs' , so far I've seen problems with the LVN cluster-able variants. 

A few of the parts right now in SSTU merely reuse stock parts, so when they change, the mod isn't pointing at them any more.