[1.12.3] Restock - Revamping KSP's art (Feb 25)

Nertea

22 hours ago, Covert said:

I tried adding Restock last night via CKAN and starting a new save.

The aero drag on the newbie rockets was wildly off. (20m/s top speed vs 286m/s top speed for the same rocket in configuration without Restock).

(Mark I capsule, parachute, decoupler,  a few tanks and swivel)

I have not had time to do any debugging so at this point I am just reporting what I see, not making a support
request.  Hopefully I have some play time this weekend and I can do enough debugging to actually report something
with some actual investigation.  (I want to check the computed drag boxes in different mod configs...) Has anyone else seen this issue?

I have dozens of other mods so I have no idea what the interaction is at this point.

Notes after further research:  After comparing the before and after PartDatabase.cfg files  before/after applying Restock the
only thing that jumps out is that the deployed parachute volumes are included in the PartDatabase.cfg for restock.
So I am guessing that some combination of (Real Chute / SafeChute / something else??) is causing Restock to use the deployed drag cubes
for the parachutes on my rockets...  I don't know this for sure, but those are the only parts I see which have big enough drag cubes
to explain the massive drag I am seeing.

I Confirm having the same problem when Restock and Realchutes are installed together via CKAN. Removing one or the other fixes the problem for me. Running those two and some visual mods only.

Edited by Dante80

I Confirm having the same problem when Restock and Realchutes are installed together via CKAN. Removing one or the other fixes the problem.

@Dante80 - thanks for the additional debugging.  Someone with code level access will have to peal another layer, but I suspect the parachute plugins are fighting
over which drag cube to activate...

Update: Added item to the issue list.  Tested locally and conditioning removing the DRAG_CUBE elements in ReStock\Patches\Utility\restock-parachutes.cfg
resolves the problem.  Removing the drag cube by some other approach would work also.

Update: The latest version of Restock/Compatibility/RealChute.cfg from the repository fixes this problem.
So fix will likely be in the next release.  Thanks to Nerta for the quick turnaround.

Edited by Covert
Ending the story...

21 hours ago, Kerbart said:

The Poodle seems to have no sound. Other engines do, so it’s not “you can’t hear sounds in vacuum.”

Is it a known issue, or is it me? Or both, and interference with another mod? How can I find out?

My ReStock poodle has sound.

Mind you, all the vacuum engines are extremely quiet. The Terrier too, for example. Sounds like it's running at 5% when I crank it up to full. That might be intentional, or it might not be; I wouldn't know.

If you see a bug, or if you suspect a bug, go to GitHub and look at the issues there. If it's there, add any new information you have gleaned to it. If it is not there, create a new one.

Include logs and a mod list. 

If these steps are not followed your report will be ignored.

The RE-I2 is overpowered. It is 5 seconds ASL from having the exact same efficiency as the aerospike (it has the same vacuum efficiency as it), which is impossible for a bell shaped engine like it, and at roughly half of the price. It has 78.4% of the Skipper's vacuum thrust and 75.1% of its ASL thrust, while being far more efficient at all altitudes. I wouldn't mind more sizes or types (linear) of the aerospike engine, but this clearly isn't supposed to be an aerospike, and it has way too much thrust and ASL efficiency to be an upper stage engine with that much vacuum efficiency. Its appearance is closer to a combustion cycle lifting engine anyway and you already made the Schnauzer which has plausible stats.

When you say "Disabled if Making History is installed" for some of the Restock+ parts, does that mean they should not be in the game at all? I ask because although those parts do not appear on the default part view (filter by function), if I use some other filter to browse they are still there, along with the Making History originals.

Also, I noticed the " Stratus-V Miniature Monopropellant Tank" appears twice in the research tree, first in the "Stability" node and then later in "Propulsion Systems". It only shows when filtering by function once you unlock it in the latter, which seems odd to me, though no more than those other duplicates I guess. Edit: Never mind, this is caused by a patch config file included with the mod "MandatoryRCS".

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying playing the game again with this revamp, you've done an amazing job. Thank you!

Edited by woodbyte

5 hours ago, woodbyte said:

When you say "Disabled if Making History is installed" for some of the Restock+ parts, does that mean they should not be in the game at all? I ask because although those parts do not appear on the default part view (filter by function), if I use some other filter to browse they are still there, along with the Making History originals.

Also, I noticed the " Stratus-V Miniature Monopropellant Tank" appears twice in the research tree, first in the "Stability" node and then later in "Propulsion Systems". It only shows when filtering by function once you unlock it in the latter, which seems odd to me, though no more than those other duplicates I guess. Edit: Never mind, this is caused by a patch config file included with the mod "MandatoryRCS".

Otherwise, I'm really enjoying playing the game again with this revamp, you've done an amazing job. Thank you!

Yes this is a limitation of the way we have hidden parts, they're just like the 'old' Squad parts that they left in the game - hidden from default filters and tech trees. Unfortunately there's no way to hide them more without doing some additional plugin work.

@Dante80 @Covert @infinite_monkey the recent commit 'https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/commit/63fb192045892cc64d42d629e5fef1fd61c31cf0' should contain the bug fixes when using FAR and RealChute. If you would kindly download the latest build of ReStock and test it with FAR and RealChute to confirm that this resolves your issues it would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Poodmund said:

@Dante80 @Covert @infinite_monkey the recent commit 'https://github.com/PorktoberRevolution/ReStocked/commit/63fb192045892cc64d42d629e5fef1fd61c31cf0' should contain the bug fixes when using FAR and RealChute. If you would kindly download the latest build of ReStock and test it with FAR and RealChute to confirm that this resolves your issues it would be greatly appreciated.

New RealChute.cfg +FAR.cfg is go from me.

4 hours ago, Poodmund said:

Clean install 1.8.1+DLCs, Restock, Restock+ and RealChute. Works fine.

Edited by Dante80

Hi everyone,

KSP Version 1.8.0 - everything worked fine. Now i updated Restock and Restock+.

In the savegame i get an error message from three specific vessels because of "liquidEngineMini" - in the KSC screen I get the message that these vessels cannot be loaded because of that failure :blink:

Does anybody know what to do? On Github I couldn´t find a solution...

Should I update to 1.8.1?

Edit: Ok, i found out it is the Spark Engine. I reverted to Restock Version before and everything works fine now. So waht is the problem? Did the partfile got a new name?

Edited by Sprintlooser

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

Yes this is a limitation of the way we have hidden parts, they're just like the 'old' Squad parts that they left in the game - hidden from default filters and tech trees. Unfortunately there's no way to hide them more without doing some additional plugin work.

That puts my mind at ease. I suppose it's also a useful feature for those that play with Restock+ for a time and then purchase Making History later on their career save. Their crafts won't break this way, which is nice and considerate of you. Cheers!

6 hours ago, Sprintlooser said:

Hi everyone,

KSP Version 1.8.0 - everything worked fine. Now i updated Restock and Restock+.

In the savegame i get an error message from three specific vessels because of "liquidEngineMini" - in the KSC screen I get the message that these vessels cannot be loaded because of that failure :blink:

Does anybody know what to do? On Github I couldn´t find a solution...

Should I update to 1.8.1?

Edit: Ok, i found out it is the Spark Engine. I reverted to Restock Version before and everything works fine now. So waht is the problem? Did the partfile got a new name?

Should be fixed next version, forgot we don't have a replacement for the legacy Spark anymore so assets can't be blacklisted

3 hours ago, Crimor said:

Seems like there's a problem with the animations of antennae when combined with remotetech, causing them to always be deployed:

https://github.com/RemoteTechnologiesGroup/RemoteTech/issues/798

Fix will be shipped with restock next version or you can try the test patch linked there.

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

Should be fixed next version, forgot we don't have a replacement for the legacy Spark anymore so assets can't be blacklisted

Fix will be shipped with restock next version or you can try the test patch linked there.

Awesome, thanks. By the way, is the realchute commit also making it into the next version?

1 hour ago, Puggonaut said:

Can someone please ( using small words , coz i'm fick lol ) explain how I can restore the stock Vector engine with it's effects . I've read the instructions as too how to do it , but erm I seem to doing it wrong and it's doing my head in .

Thanks 

Have you checked the wiki?

I actually think the default Restock RS25 plume is probably the most life-like option out there at the moment. The Stock plume is way to bright, large and opaque and the RealPlume one at sea-level is almost too faint and uniform... but I think the packaged Restock one has a nice translucency too it and is 'wispy' enough to simulate the real thing... here's a comparison so ya'll can make your own mind up:

DP7fu5K.jpg

Click to zoom in (warning, its a very large image)

Edited by Poodmund

2 hours ago, Poodmund said:

RealPlume one at sea-level is almost too faint and uniform...

Nice comparison! Hmm, I might tweak the SSME realplume for the next update. The SSME RealPlume is built from the ReStock particle model but I think I made it fainter so it clusters better. But the behaviour can be tweaked at sea level a bit i think. And also perhaps add a separate much smaller and much fainter shock cone further down from the main big shock cone (similar to the top right image of the IRL images)

Edited by Zorg

5 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I actually think the default Restock RS25 plume is probably the most life-like option out there at the moment. The Stock plume is way to bright, large and opaque and the RealPlume one at sea-level is almost too faint and uniform... but I think the packaged Restock one has a nice translucency too it and is 'wispy' enough to simulate the real thing... here's a comparison so ya'll can make your own mind up:

DP7fu5K.jpg

Click to zoom in (warning, its a very large image)

I guess this is where “Ohhh pretty!” and “Ohh! Realistic!” clash. Thanks for the comparison.