[KSP 1.9.0] [x] Science! Continued - KSP Science report and checklist (V5.23)

Flupster

I am new to [x] Science, because I'm new to Career mode. (Always played sandbox)

While in LKO with a goo, experiment storage, and a scientist kerbal (for EVA-restoring), I see that [x] Science's "Here and now" shows that I can observe goo over different biomes of Kerbin as if they are worth science to do for every overflight of each biome.  But the experiment storage refuses to collect such results implying that they are duplicates and are not worth anything further.

In other words,  if I have observed goo in space while over DESERT,  is it worth anything to observe goo in space while over GRASSLAND?

45 minutes ago, MilkSage said:

I am new to [x] Science, because I'm new to Career mode. (Always played sandbox)

While in LKO with a goo, experiment storage, and a scientist kerbal (for EVA-restoring), I see that [x] Science's "Here and now" shows that I can observe goo over different biomes of Kerbin as if they are worth science to do for every overflight of each biome.  But the experiment storage refuses to collect such results implying that they are duplicates and are not worth anything further.

In other words,  if I have observed goo in space while over DESERT,  is it worth anything to observe goo in space while over GRASSLAND?

The Goo experiment is not biome-specific for flying and in-space situations. The experiment storage is correct in the sense that your second sample is a duplicate of the first. The reason why [X] Science is offering you to take another sample is because you actually need to return multiple samples to get the full available science value for the Goo experiment. This means you need to either bring multiple science containers or just run multiple missions.

Edited by siimav

Alternatively, with no scientist, and no experiment storage,  I could have 3 goo containment units and observe while in LKO over 3 different biomes, and when all 3 are recovered, they will all contribute science? 

1 hour ago, MilkSage said:

Alternatively, with no scientist, and no experiment storage,  I could have 3 goo containment units and observe while in LKO over 3 different biomes, and when all 3 are recovered, they will all contribute science? 

As I said previously, it doesn't matter whether you observe the Goos over different biomes or over the same one. Although you do get diminishing returns with each subsequent result until you reach the science cap. I can't remember how many experiment results it takes to hit it it though.

---------------------------

On a different note - @Flupster, do you take pull requests on your fork? On my own fork, I have mostly solved the performance issues that this mod has. Previously when using it on a RSS/RO/RP-1 install, there was a second long freeze each time the experiment results were refreshed. These made using this mod pretty much unusable. My changes have made the freezes unnoticeable and can now only happen when opening up [x] Science for the first time. Among other thing, I have also fixed the integration with DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric.

10 hours ago, MilkSage said:

Might be worth giving this a read.

23 hours ago, siimav said:

As I said previously, it doesn't matter whether you observe the Goos over different biomes or over the same one. Although you do get diminishing returns with each subsequent result until you reach the science cap. I can't remember how many experiment results it takes to hit it it though.

---------------------------

On a different note - @Flupster, do you take pull requests on your fork? On my own fork, I have mostly solved the performance issues that this mod has. Previously when using it on a RSS/RO/RP-1 install, there was a second long freeze each time the experiment results were refreshed. These made using this mod pretty much unusable. My changes have made the freezes unnoticeable and can now only happen when opening up [x] Science for the first time. Among other thing, I have also fixed the integration with DMModuleScienceAnimateGeneric.

Yeah do a pr and I'll check it out and merge if it looks good bud

On 5/10/2019 at 7:59 PM, Flupster said:

Yeah do a pr and I'll check it out and merge if it looks good bud

The pull request is now up on your fork.

But please also consider making the releases compatible with KSP versions starting from 1.5 up to 1.7. This would be especially important for RP-1 because it will be updated for KSP 1.6.1 soon and my fixes are absolutely mandatory for [x] science to be usable.

Hi @Flupster great to see that you've picked up this mod. It's one of my favorite and I'm so glad that someone is giving it some love.

I wanted to call your attention to a discussion in the Universal Storage thread regarding how [X] Science is conflicting with running an experiment:

I've done some extensive testing and posted screenshots and logs in that thread. It seems that [X] Science when running the automated experiments is causing the Advanced Materials Bay wedge part to not function properly. After running, you can't collect or transfer the data and you can't restore it with a scientist, rendering it useless.

If you would be able to look at this issue, that would be super-helpful. @DMagic is obviously your go-to person when it comes to all things science like that, which you probably already know. I'm including them on this thread so hopefully we can resolve this.

Thanks for all your work!

On 5/11/2019 at 7:45 PM, siimav said:

The pull request is now up on your fork.

But please also consider making the releases compatible with KSP versions starting from 1.5 up to 1.7. This would be especially important for RP-1 because it will be updated for KSP 1.6.1 soon and my fixes are absolutely mandatory for [x] science to be usable.

Done and done with v5.22

21 hours ago, Flupster said:

Done and done with v5.22

Awesome, thanks for the update @Flupster.

Any chance you've had a moment to look at the issue(s) we're seeing with Universal Storage II and the DMagic Advanced Material science unit?

(No pressure, just wondering if you might have time to look at that)

Edited by scottadges

Hi Flupster, please check link to 5.22 (page 1, Downloads section, Lastest version) because the current link points to... v5.21 binaries instead! ;)

Also, the "View older version" link doesn't work for me, it returns "unknow domain"...

Edited by DomiKamu

On 5/16/2019 at 1:10 PM, DomiKamu said:

Hi Flupster, please check link to 5.22 (page 1, Downloads section, Lastest version) because the current link points to... v5.21 binaries instead! ;)

Also, the "View older version" link doesn't work for me, it returns "unknow domain"...

Hey buddy

Seems I've been sloppy, I've fixed up all the loose ends you mentioned if you notice anymore please let me know also apologies for missing that!

8 hours ago, Flupster said:

Hey buddy

Seems I've been sloppy, I've fixed up all the loose ends you mentioned if you notice anymore please let me know also apologies for missing that!

Don't worry mon Ami (my Friend in French), it was just for help. Thanks to continue (for now) this mod development!

On 4/15/2019 at 2:16 AM, GraczNet said:

Can I install it into an existing save? Will it work?

On 4/15/2019 at 11:52 AM, Friznit said:

Yes

I just tried installing the mod (seems like a very helpful one) through CKAN, and the experiment list window seems to open up fine. However, it seemed to me that it probably didn't pick up the experiments I had already done in my career game. Is it supposed to pick those up, or is there a way of getting the mod to do become aware of them?

I've already done quite a lot of the grinding of basic experiments in different situations so I'm not going to be systematically doing those experiments again.

I didn't find anything about this with a quick googling.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Ayumi said:

Hey is there any chance that this mod gets update to version 1.7.1? 

This mod is working (near) perfectly for me.

The only issue i have is with some UNIVERSAL STORAGE II experiments.

2 hours ago, LTQ90 said:

This mod is working (near) perfectly for me.

The only issue i have is with some UNIVERSAL STORAGE II experiments.

then i do something wrong i guess when the game start its ask to serch for update but i dont see it active ingame :s 

I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one having trouble with US2 wedge experiments, for a while I figured I'd screwed something up!

Problem: Clicking the experiment for US2 (and some DMagic) experiments will cause the US2 experiments to 'lock up' where you can no longer reset/review/conduct the experiment. For some DMagic experiments (Magnetometer Boom for example) clicking the experiment in X Science simply does nothing.

14 minutes ago, Jognt said:

I'm kinda glad I'm not the only one having trouble with US2 wedge experiments, for a while I figured I'd screwed something up!

Problem: Clicking the experiment for US2 (and some DMagic) experiments will cause the US2 experiments to 'lock up' where you can no longer reset/review/conduct the experiment. For some DMagic experiments (Magnetometer Boom for example) clicking the experiment in X Science simply does nothing.

Sorry for off topic. For the trouble with US2 i simply right click on each experiment with prob  ; material bay, mystery goo for me.

13 hours ago, LTQ90 said:

Sorry for off topic. For the trouble with US2 i simply right click on each experiment with prob  ; material bay, mystery goo for me.

Yes, me too. Then again, if everyone does that and nobody mentions the problem, you can’t blame the mod maintainer for not fixing that which he does not know is a problem. 

@Flupster is the issue such that a log would still help you in fixing it? If so, any specific steps you’d like me to follow to maximize the useful information in the log?

Edited by Jognt

9 hours ago, Jognt said:

Yes, me too. Then again, if everyone does that and nobody mentions the problem, you can’t blame the mod maintainer for not fixing that which he does not know is a problem. 

@Flupster is the issue such that a log would still help you in fixing it? If so, any specific steps you’d like me to follow to maximize the useful information in the log?

Not blaming at all. This mod is great. The issue has been talked on the right tread, but no more information for the moment. It seems if i remember right that may be dependent of other(s) mod(s) but don t know which ones.?

7 minutes ago, LTQ90 said:

Not blaming at all. This mod is great. The issue has been talked on the right tread, but no more information for the moment. It seems if i remember right that may be dependent of other(s) mod(s) but don t know which ones.?

Ahh fair enough. If it's already been talked about then c'est la vie. My apologies.

When I am trying to install this via CKAN I am getting the error listed below.  I currently do not have [x]science installed.  Any ideas how to fix?  Thanks.

About to install...

* [x] Science! Continued 5.22 (cached)

The following inconsistencies were found:
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/[x] Science!.dll, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/[x] Science!.version, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/bubbles.wav, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/CHANGES.md, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/LICENSE.txt, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/MiniAVC.dll, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/PluginData/[x] Science!/settings.cfg, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/README.md, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/science.cfg, but this file is registered to xScience
Error during installation!
An unknown error occurred, please try again!

2 hours ago, Armor9 said:

When I am trying to install this via CKAN I am getting the error listed below.  I currently do not have [x]science installed.  Any ideas how to fix?  Thanks.

About to install...

* [x] Science! Continued 5.22 (cached)

The following inconsistencies were found:
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/[x] Science!.dll, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/[x] Science!.version, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/bubbles.wav, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/CHANGES.md, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/LICENSE.txt, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/MiniAVC.dll, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/PluginData/[x] Science!/settings.cfg, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/README.md, but this file is registered to xScience
* xScienceContinued wishes to install GameData/[x] Science!/science.cfg, but this file is registered to xScience
Error during installation!
An unknown error occurred, please try again!

Do you have the old [x] Science! installed perhaps? If so, uninstall it, remove its folder from GameData, and then try to install [x] Science! Continued.

Edit: You mentioned not having x science installed. <_< Are you sure there's not a folder with that name remaining though?

Edited by Jognt

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.