One handed gaming

Tyrion Spacedwarf

One thing I wonder about is combining the mouse with spoken commands (assuming speech hasn't been effected ).  This guy wrote a whole game using voice only input: the use case here should be much simpler.  Speed might be an issue though not so critical in KSP. 

On 3/6/2019 at 2:53 PM, Tyrion Spacedwarf said:

I had a stroke last Father’s Day and I still haven’t regained movement in my right arm or hand. How hard would it be to play?

Wow... how did I miss this? I was involved in a collision in early March and had surgery on my right wrist. I'm in a similar pickle.

I'm not sure how, but I'm managing. In just stock KSP I can do missions to the Mun, Minmus and Duna. I can take a trainer space plane to orbit and back, though landings are tougher. I've had to fly a lot more with the nav ball and SAS; Jebediah and Valentina are saviors in this respect, but I can also manage a basic probe core and CH6 hub / nose cone. It must be that I use my left hand for WASD and most controls already.

As for daily work I've had to rely on Windows 10 dictation, and a lot of hand-correcting the output.

I've only recently regained limited right hand use, mostly for shift/ctrl/alt clicks. Now I should go shopping for that one handed keyboard/mouse combo I saw here!

On 3/6/2019 at 12:53 PM, Tyrion Spacedwarf said:

I asked this on reddit and had some good feedback but I have one more day so I wanted to get any additional info.

its been a year since I played at a buddies, my computer was a brick. My wife blessed me with a new computer I get tomorrow and I will be downloading ksp. 

The thing is I had a stroke last Father’s Day and I still haven’t regained movement in my right arm or hand. How hard would it be to play? Any suggestions? I’m getting a mouse with 6 buttons and I can use in my left hand. Any thoughts would be appreciated, thank you. 

As long as you rely on action groups and staging I don't see having to switch between mouse and keyboard being a terribly big problem. Mouse control is not critical for any aspect of flying your craft. It mainly controls the camera and lets you mess with parts and sliders. The fast twitch reactions needed are all keyboard side, and most of those are a result of poor/risky craft design.

As goes the editor, yeah, you're gonna be slow. But is still not impossible and nothing in the editor is time critical.

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.