Time limit??

MassoudGL

In career mode. I know Kerbals are immortal(ish) and the game has no set time limit. But do y'all ever feel like you don't want to let too much time pass? I have this sense of dread that won't go away that like if I get to 100 years or something, everything will somehow break and I will game over.

20 minutes ago, MassoudGL said:

In career mode. I know Kerbals are immortal(ish) and the game has no set time limit. But do y'all ever feel like you don't want to let too much time pass? I have this sense of dread that won't go away that like if I get to 100 years or something, everything will somehow break and I will game over.

Yeah, unless you're running a life-support mod or something, the game doesn't care how much time passes, so it's up to the individual player's preferences.

Myself?  I find that I can't help identifying with the little green dudes, and end up involuntarily RPing so that I get impatient with the idea of missions taking too long.  I mean, sure, I can timewarp across a whole year of kerbal time in just a minute or two of my time... except that I'm identifying with the kerbals and it bugs me that "I" have to wait for a whole year.

So I find that I end up optimizing all my KSP careers to try to accomplish my goals in as short an amount of KSP calendar time as possible-- I mean, I don't go nuts about it, but if a Hohmann transfer to an outer planet is going to take many years, I almost always find myself packing on extra dV to make the transit in shorter time.

So.  The game's perfectly fine, but I have a (self-imposed) psychological pressure to conserve the calendar.  I begrudge every Kerbal day that passes.

2 hours ago, Snark said:

Yeah, unless you're running a life-support mod or something, the game doesn't care how much time passes, so it's up to the individual player's preferences.

Myself?  I find that I can't help identifying with the little green dudes, and end up involuntarily RPing so that I get impatient with the idea of missions taking too long.  I mean, sure, I can timewarp across a whole year of kerbal time in just a minute or two of my time... except that I'm identifying with the kerbals and it bugs me that "I" have to wait for a whole year.

So I find that I end up optimizing all my KSP careers to try to accomplish my goals in as short an amount of KSP calendar time as possible-- I mean, I don't go nuts about it, but if a Hohmann transfer to an outer planet is going to take many years, I almost always find myself packing on extra dV to make the transit in shorter time.

So.  The game's perfectly fine, but I have a (self-imposed) psychological pressure to conserve the calendar.  I begrudge every Kerbal day that passes.

Yeah this is how I feel I guess. I just downloaded Kerbalism because I had played all the way to endgame on another file but I imagined and RP'd all the limits. And sometimes I would cheat if I messed something up. So I figured I'd give myself some hard limits. And I must say that I love it so far. I feel like a burden has been lifted. No longer must I pretend that they're exercising or have enough to eat.

Along a similar vein, I don't like sending my Kerbals out on missions and just sticking with that mission (i.e. time warping through the whole transfer).  It feels really unrealistic to stop all space launches for 2 years just to follow a craft all the way to Duna.  Instead, I launch it and set a Kerbal Alarm Clock alarm for a day before I enter the SOI (or a course correction) before going back to doing more launches and missions.  I feel like I'm not alone in trying to simulate a busy space program rather than doing one mission at a time, but it can also give me a sense of impatience when I really want to fly one mission but have to wait until I get to the new place "naturally."  Does anyone else feel this way?

2 minutes ago, MassoudGL said:

Yeah this is how I feel I guess. I just downloaded Kerbalism because I had played all the way to endgame on another file but I imagined and RP'd all the limits. And sometimes I would cheat if I messed something up. So I figured I'd give myself some hard limits. And I must say that I love it so far. I feel like a burden has been lifted. No longer must I pretend that they're exercising or have enough to eat.

I just added Kerbalism to my most recent install (upgrading from TAC-LS) and I love the added challenge of building ships to have living space for Kerbals rather than having them cramped in a tiny capsule for 4 years.

4 hours ago, The Aziz said:

My game once somehow reached negative time (not sure if it was mission time or game time). I should have screenshots somewhere but not can't find them now

Ah... Negative time. The time of kavemen and further back, kinosaurs.

Not to advertise, but I did the original Kerpollo series years ago to kick myself of this exact (and imo bad) habit. After hundreds of hours on a save, I'd barely left Kerbin's SOI. What's the fun in that? So I made myself do one-off missions to EVERY planet and moon, just so I could actually see them.

Still my favorite run through the game, and that was ... I don't even know how long ago. It was 0.23.5 whatever number of years ago that would be.

Missing doing it was what caused me to start the Kerpollo challenge.

14 hours ago, Snark said:

This is almost word for word what I do! I cannot deal with my first early-game Jool probe taking 4 years to reach Jool - highly efficient launch vehicles for interplanetary vehicles and high-speed Hohmann transits are a must for me. 

My old launcher, the 1.25m Bradbury, transported a 800 kg Jool probe to the system in 3 years and 297 days. With my increased launch-window skill, I launched the same probe on the new, more efficient launcher, the 1.25m Orwell, and it reached Jool in 1 year and 319 days- almost two years out of the transfer time for a burn of only 500-700 more m/s! That probe got me to 1,756 science from 3 science on the eighth launch. 

10 hours ago, Curveball Anders said:

My KAC list is usually quite long and often has entries that are year+ into the future.

I'm the same, but then it's also full of a bunch of short term house keeping stuff, like rotating station crew and transmitting science.   So I spend most of my time doing that, instead of getting the missions moved along.   But that's a discussion for another thread, which we've had recently. 

What if every one hundred years they asexually reproduce a clone, named Twoey. Jeb Twoey Kerman. These would constantly be asking to be fed, and if you don't install a particular* LF mod, they will cease to work properly.  Since they are plants from outer space, they would have to also get a piranha plant re-skin.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.