seyss

Squad should STOP ALL development and do this now

I think "Squald" should stop all development...

...for a few weeks and spend some time away from the office, have themselves an adventure full of model rockets of questionable design which have an unfortunate tendency to catch fire, maybe have a spa day, definitely get drunk, take a deeeeeeep breath (or hyperventilate), and then go on a bug-hunt.

• Like 3

Given the console galaxy background upgrade, there is a non-zero chance that adding some clouds are already on the to-do list since visual updates are clearly something the devs are prioritizing. This is the sort of thing that could definitely be optional for lower gaming specs, and probably is well within reason for intel graphics. As for people wanting fixing bugs to take priority over visual upgrades, I think that may be a false dichotomy.

Sorry to be so direct, but this is a very illogical statement. You don't just stop all development of a huge open world space simulator to focus on adding some mundane feature. 

If you want to add clouds, why not also mention wind effects, dust storms on Duna, improved solar flares, water refraction, etc?
You can see that this just doesn't make sense for Squad/Take Two's development plans at this point. I do agree with you, better scenic elements on Kerbin and other planets/moons would be nice, but for the time being, just go download SVE or EVE. I can actually run both on my Mac pretty well, and from orbit, they look stunning. 

So next time, maybe add a suggestion instead of just hitting all caps and effectively screaming at Squad. You should be happy with the current game, it's huge, well developed, (in my opinion. I know I'll get attacked for this :Pand fun to play/mod. Heck, with a little bit of tutorial videos and some hard work for a few months, you could add clouds yourself. 

-Lachland

14 hours ago, SlinkyMcman said:

Given the console galaxy background upgrade, there is a non-zero chance that adding some clouds are already on the to-do list since visual updates are clearly something the devs are prioritizing. 

Not necessary - the galaxy background is just a big texture that are rendered when nothing more is on the way of the camera. There's very little GPU processing here - it's essentially taking a texel from a texture coordinate instead of bluntly painting a RGB color.

Clouds, on the other hand, needs a heavy GPU processing because they are painted over an already rendered image, so the GPU must take the image's source, mangle with it, mangle with this neighboors , and drawn them back. And them do the same with the next pixel. And so on.

If you interested on the thing, how about trying it out yourself? You can use Blender to toy with the idea:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Lisias said:

Not necessary - the galaxy background is just a big texture that are rendered when nothing more is on the way of the camera. There's very little GPU processing here - it's essentially taking a texel from a texture coordinate instead of bluntly painting a RGB color.

Clouds, on the other hand, needs a heavy GPU processing because they are painted over an already rendered image, so the GPU must take the image's source, mangle with it, mangle with this neighboors , and drawn them back. And them do the same with the next pixel. And so on.

If you interested on the thing, how about trying it out yourself? You can use Blender to toy with the idea:

Reveal hidden contents

Especially since there already was a background in game, all the new one involved was a new texture and probably some code changes to allow a higher resolution.  EVE style clouds is a whole different kettle of fish.  Also, anyone who says "just make all the devs work on this feature," doesn't know how software development works.  Just because you're on the dev team doesn't mean that you can magically code anything a customer wants.

• Like 3

On 3/6/2019 at 6:15 PM, seyss said:

Squald should stop ALL development and divert all resources in implementing PLANET CLOUDS ASAP!

Squad wouldn't have to stop development in order to implement clouds. I think that incremental improvements would be more effective, as Squad has already been incrementally improving graphics with the part overhaul, reflections and new skybox. 

• Like 1