Project H.O.M.E

MSA

Hello! This is going to be a story. There are already a lot of these on the forums so I wanted to try one out my self. The first chapter will be posted tomorrow-ish so stay tuned!

Chapter 1

The project begins

not so long time ago. In a galaxy kind of  far away... Lived a peaceful race called the Kerbals. Now these Kerbals aren't the brightest bulb. But they do know how to build rockets. But sometimes ( more often then not ) these rockets preform rapid unplanned disassemblies. Any way on to the story...

There was a kerbal named Bob. Bob is a scientist. Bob and his friends Bill, Jeb, and Val were looking through the telescope Bob got for his birthday. "Hey I can see Minnmus!" Said Jeb. "Point your telescope at it Bob!" Said Val. So he did. "Look how big the Flats are." Said Bill. "I can't believe we landed there." Said Val. "Well I landed there first!" Said Jeb. Then Bill got an idea. "What if instead of using this telescope, we use an orbital telescope around Minnmus to see if we can find our landing sites!" "That's a great idea!" They all agreed. So all 4 of them went to the tracking station. Bill then logged into the computers and then tapped into the MOAS. "Alright. Starting an orbital search. Echo 7 found zooming in." Bob who was on the second monitor said "Bill stop! What is that?" "I...I don't know!" "Bill, write down those coordinates. We need to show Gene." Said Jeb. 

The 4 raced over to mission control. They ran over to the flight control desk. "Gene! We discovered an anomaly on the surface of Minnmus! We don't have enough information yet but we do know it has a high density and is very big!" "Ok guys, no need to shout. With the information you have given me, I believe a base will need to be constructed far from the anomaly. The base will also serve as a colony for more research." "What should we call the expedition?" Said Val. "How about this?" Asked Jeb "The Hardcore, Observational, Minnmus, Expedition or H.O.M.E." 

Edited by MSA

Chapter 2

"MAF"

Gene called Wernher Von Kerman. The head engineer. "Wernher. Jeb, Bill, Bob, and Val discovered an anomaly on Minnmus. We know we want a permanent research base on the surface but what do you propose we do first?" "I think we should send a rover to the anomaly. Take some pictures of it, and collect a sample." "Can you get your engineers ready ASAP? We need to get there fast."

sgvisJb.jpg

The rover was completed a month later. As the clock counted down, we held our breath. 3...2...1... Liftoff!! The rocket flew into the air.

jdiLiki.jpg

"Initiating gravity turn." The ground was still shaking from the force of the 11 engine, working together to propel the spirit of exploration into the minds of the Kerbals. "MECO in 3...2...1... cutoff. Stage 2 ignition... now." 

GVXeIwb.jpg

The second stage igniting was quite a spectacle. The engine only burned for a few seconds until it shut down and coasted to it's apogee. "SEI-2." After a few minutes, "SECO-2... Orbit achieved." In mission control, the flight controllers were plotting the Trans Minmatic Injection Burn. "Burn in 3...2...1..." The engine fired for the third time. "SECO-3." In the astronaut complex..."Bill. Can't you tap into the video feed?" "Sure Jeb." "Wow." They all said. "It's only been a few days!" "Look you can see Mün!" The 4 looked at the feed for a bit longer when the phone rang. "Hello. Astronaut complex. Valentina speaking." "Hey Val. The MAF is about to start its orbit burn if you guys want to come watch." "Sure Gene, we'll be right over." "Alright guys lets go." 

The rover or Minnmus Anomaly Finder was at it's periapsis. 

WCqLF3R.jpg

The burn took around 3 minutes. "Orbital velocity achieved!" Some cheered but not the mission controllers. The mission was far from over. "De-orbiting." The engine fired for the last time. "De-orbit burn complete." The rover was falling to the surface. Gaining speed every meter  it fell. "Rover deploy." The rover separated from the transfer stage. "Suicide burn in 3...2...1... now!" The 2 engines on the sky crane fired. "Speed to altitude ratio 20m/s:10m... 10m/s:5m... touchdown confirmed!" The space center cheered. But again, the mission wasn't over. The hardest part is still to come.

1tWPhKk.jpg

"This is mission control, signing off. Now switching to rover control." "Rodger mission control. System checks... systems are nominal." Now with the rover operational, it was time to preform the main mission. "Driving off base."

jIjfA8O.jpg

"Bill. Type in the coordinates." "Coordinations typed." "Navigation is on. Starting drive." 

5 minutes later

"Seriously. Out of power. How fast did your engineers put the battery together Wernher?"

After about 1 hour, (and a whole bunch of stops to re-charge) the rover was at the anomaly. "Wow. That's big." "I estimate it's about 7 meters." "No. It's got to be more than that!" "Guys. We can talk about height after we take a sample!" "Ok! Preparing for sample." "Easy dose it Jeb, easy dose it."

YFb0oKO.jpg

CONTACT LOST

Chapter 3

Analysis 

"Wernher! What happened?" "Umm... I don't know." "Well we better find out fast! I want the full expedition completed ASAP. We need to figure this out. Wernher, I need..." "Gene." "Don't interrupt me." "I may know where the rover is!" Silence. "Where."

"Now am I clear that you will be wearing protective gear. I repeat PROTECTIVE GEAR!" "Gene, I got it." "Ok. I just don't want you to be teleported to Minnmus. Now go get a sample and bring it back to R&D." So Jeb set off to the monolith near the KSC. "I am 2 Km away from the monolith."

iP9ilbE.jpg

"Rodger Jeb. Do you see the rover?" "No not yet." After about 2 minutes, Jeb said, "I see the rover. But I'm getting strange rea..." "Jeb?!" Gene and Wernher ran to the space plane hanger and into the control tower. "Give me some binoculars." "Do you see him?" "Yes. He's getting out of the rover and is walking to the container." Jeb then grabbed his handy dandy drill, and a hook. He then attached the hook to the MAF, and attached the two rovers together. He then started driving back to the KSC.

gYwXkqN.jpg

"Jeb. Do you here me?" Pause. "Loud and clear!" Jeb then drove to R&D to get the rover analyzed.

Bob and his team got a sample from the rover. "Nothing seems wrong on the outside. We will have to take a sample and see what happened." After some examination of the mechanics and samples, Bob finally examined the samples. "There is nothing wrong with anything! It must be something with the monoliths!" "If it's something with the monoliths, then we might be able to get to Minnmus through the monolith near the KSC!"

So Jeb went back to the monolith. Not knowing what will happen. Communication went down as he approached. He then got out of the rover, and stood 5 meters from it he than ran and then SMACK! Then he fell down. He drove back to KSC. Gene said "I guess Project H.O.M.E. is still on. Prepare the first modules to be sent to Minnmus.

Chapter 4

Phase 2

At KSC, Bill was standing by to be launched in the first module of the base. "3...2...1... Liftoff!" When in orbit around Kerbin he watched as the computer figured out everything for him. In Minmatic orbit, the the computer told him that the de-orbit burn would happen in 2 minutes.

nvUSKIH.jpg

After the burn, the upper stage separated and the 4 mini engines slowed him down to landing velocity.

u4Pto9D.jpg

"Bill. First you need to assemble the light post." "Rodger control." He went to the container and got the items needed. After he assembled it, he was instructed to inflate the Hab and Lab.

vgm1DuJ.jpg

"Um.. mission control, the equipment tanks aren't full. I can't inflate the modules!" "Roger Bill, we will send a supply rover to you ASAP." As the rover descended, Bill was instructed to look for it. When it landed, even though it was only 900m away, it took 15 minutes to get to the base.

oNmtGJK.jpg

When it arrived, Bill attached the node onto the module and inflated the modules. "Bill, I put some ice cream in the Lab for you."

NNVtmTT.jpg

Edited by MSA

Chapter 5

Expansion

Back at KSC, a new, gigantic rocket was ready to launch. The payload was a colony ship. It had more crew, modules, storage, and materials for the base. "Sunrise is go for launch in 3...2...1... Liftoff!" The seven Vector Engines ignited and the colony ship headed for Minnmus.

Ak7Sq17.jpg

The Trans Minmatic Injection burn went smoothly. "I wonder what Bill has been doing on Minnmus for 2 years!" said Val. "He's probably board out of his mind!" said Bob. 

On Minnmus...

"Dang it!" Level 19 failed 

"We can catch up with him when we land."

jdvXSzp.jpg

As the colony ship approached Minnmus, it was time to get ready for the orbital burn. "Burn in 2 minutes." Jeb shouted from the cockpit. After the capture, Vall did an EVA to get to the capture rover. "Alright Jeb, I'm ready to drop." Jeb deployed the rover and Vall prepared for the de-orbit burn. "Bill, this is Vall. Do you copy?" "I copy." She fired her engines to slow down at around 5m in above the surface. Then she fired the RSC to get the rovers wheels pointed at the ground and landed.

BTaWaOB.jpg

Vall drove to the base. She then met up with Bill and they waited for Bob to come down with a science module. "Bob, this is Vall. Bill is coming in the rover to bring you over." Bill drove to pick up the module with Bob. They then drove over to the correct place. Bill lowered the module and drove the rover off to the side. He then got out and attached the tube from each module and using the cargo rover, inflated the two module.

QppuJqL.jpg

The same process was repeated with each module until everything was in place. "Tomorrow, we will start our research.

Edited by MSA

Chapter 6

Tests 

After moving the modules around with the rover, Val realized that it was horrible. "KSC, we would like a new rover for exploration." "Roger H.O.M.E, we are making one now." The rover was really high tech. It came down with a storage tank containing science units and parts for mini rover.

pv9MJMK.jpg

"H.O.M.E, we would like you to send two astronauts to the monolith in the rover. They will then attempt to take a sample." "Roger control, we are sending Val and Bob." The 2 then got into the rover and drove to the monolith.

"The monolith appears to be green! Maybe it doesn't black out communication, but teleports instead!" The two got out of the rover and used a sampling unit to take a sample. "Preparing for sample in 3...2...1..." Then the communication went down. The monolith started to open. The two expected it to open a hole to Kerbin. But no. It was to Eve! "This is so weird!" "Quick drive the rover away so we don't get sucked in!" Val jumped into the rover an drove it away. The portal closed. "So we have tried both faces of the monolith. But what about the sides?" "We should see." So the 2 walked over to the side and poked it. Nothing. "We can take a sample now!" They collected a sample and went back to the base.

"Wow! This some kind of new element!" Said Bob. "What would happen if we applied an electrical current. Maybe we could be able to open and close the monoliths!" So Bill and Bob worked together and inserted a wire into the sample. "Test in 3...2...1... now!" Bob flipped a switch and the sample opened up to Duna. Bob then shut it off and the gateway closed. "What would happen if we applied a higher voltage?" They raised the voltage and tried again. This time it opened to Kerbin! They lowered it to the previous voltage and it went back to Duna! "The more we experiment, we could create a device that could teleport by sending a signal that would set a voltage that would open a portal to the designated planet or moon!" "I will send a message to mission control to send us the materials."

Chapter 7

The device

Val ordered the parts for the vessel. Bill told Wernher and the other engineers how to make the device to insert into the monolith. "So you are 100% sure that the engineers installing this device will not be sucked to another planet?" "100% sure Gene." 

The parts were sent to Minnmus and the engineers at KSC built the device to put into the monolith near KSC. "KSC, we got the parts." Jeb and Bob went to the monolith to insert the device. Bill and Val assembled the device that would fly through it and into Kerbin.

KSC also sent a chunk of their monolith too. "Alright. When I flip this switch, our sample of monolith should open and KSC's should also open just by flipping the switch on the Minnmus chunk. Once the gateway is open, we will push the model of the vessel into the Minnmus gateway and it should hopefully teleport." Said Bob. Bill flipped the switch and the gateways opened. Jeb then pushed the model along the track and then ZWUMP! The model teleported without a scratch!

Now that the tests were successful, Jeb got into the vessel and was drove to the monolith. "Lifting off." Jeb fired the bottom engines. "Ignition." Jeb fired the rear engines and accelerated towards the monolith. "Destination, Kerbin." He pushed the Kerbin button and the monolith opened to Kerbin. "Teleporting in 3...2...1... Now!" ZWUMP! He shot through the monolith. "Jeb! You are going slower than stall speed!" "Roger control. Activating Jet engine." He fired the jet engine and of course, buzzed the tower. He then came and landed on the runway 

k3f07aj.jpg

"Well now that the expedition is done, we can still send more modules and tourists to the base and now transform it into a colony."

The end

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.