[1.9.1 - 1.10.x] Beyond Home 1.5.0 (Supports Parallax)

Gameslinx

Just now, Barzon Kerman said:

@Gameslinx, can you make a map with detail about each body? Because, i dont want to use planet packs, as I have only gone interplanetary twice, and want to get used to the stock system?

I can do but it'll take time. Each planet has its own story 

Also in other news:

I built the colony devices on Lua! Visual only, unfortunately. The crystals also have their own lore but unless anyone is interested I won't talk about them here before I bore y'all

unknown.png

unknown.png

17 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I didn't see the need for a biome map of gateway but ok I'll make one.

I do not need custom made, or any at all, biome map for Gateway, what I meant by fixing was the Delete button, it is just werid that it has the same biomes as Laythe.

Also biome names on other planets are just WIP i guess (Tribute's a, b, c, d, very nice)

7 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

you should make it like a little book or something! With all the lore! I, and many other people, hopefully, would love that!

I'd make KSPedia pages but they're not just images, they're stupid unity file things I refuse to learn

Just now, Raptor42 said:

I do not need custom made, or any at all, biome map for Gateway, what I meant by fixing was the Delete button, it is just werid that it has the same biomes as Laythe.

Also biome names on other planets are just WIP i guess (Tribute's a, b, c, d, very nice)

Because Kerbal Engineer is dumb and uses names instead of DisplayNames. I call the biomes A, B, C, D, E and so on for how my brain figures things out because it's easier, and displayName is Lowlands, Midlands, Uplands etc.

KER uses names and that prevents any form of localisation at all. I've brought it up on the page but got no response.

29 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

Also in other news:

I built the colony devices on Lua! Visual only, unfortunately. The crystals also have their own lore but unless anyone is interested I won't talk about them here before I bore y'all

It doesn't sound boring at all. Talk to us!  :D

2 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

It doesn't sound boring at all. Talk to us!  :D

The crystals originate on the originally named planet "Rock". These are what power the colony devices on Lua.

The material that makes up the crystals has an insanely high refractive index and focuses all light that hits it out the bottom of the crystal in laser-like fashion. Due to how the crystals are made up, if there is any imperfection in the material the crystal refracts light incorrectly and melts itself because of the heat.

Since there are two stars, there's a lot of light energy to focus on one point. This is why they're used in the colony devices over Lua. They focus light onto a metal plate which heats up water within the device, which evaporates and powers a turbine and produces vast amounts of energy. This powers an ion engine below the device which keeps it above the ground. The devices must be above ground because not only is it easy to get blinded by the crystal, but boulders could land on one and cause an explosion and since the crystals are extremely expensive there can't be any losses.

The water within the device then circulates close to the inner walls where the Lua atmosphere cools the metal and carries the heat away. This cools the water and lets it be re-used in the device to power it again. The residual heat goes into Lua's atmosphere and keeps it warm do the oceans don't freeze.

Finally, the ion engine has a second use and this separates the water vapour nearby in the atmosphere into hydrogen and oxygen, the latter is required for Kerbal life.

Due to the vast expense of the crystals used in the devices and the energy required to terraform Lua, the operation was halted because of a lack of funding. The devices still operate but only to maintain the temperature of the atmosphere.

Melting ice on Lua by positioning these terraforming devices above the poles is not possible. The light from the crystal that hits the ice heats it too rapidly and causes an explosion which could severely damage equipment nearby and so conventional methods need to be used to melt the ice, which is another reason why the funding was halted. The focus shifted from Lua to Rhode, where a self sustaining environment had already begun to exist. Lua was going to have to wait.

25 minutes ago, justn444 said:

Can I just say that this mod is incredible!  The visuals are insane! This is amazing work!  Can I just put more exclamation points? !!!!!! Mad props to all the hard work. (!!!!!)

Thank you! There's a lot more on the way but I have many busy weeks ahead with driving lessons, volunteering and schoolwork slowing me down :P

4 hours ago, Columbo said:

Rhode now has a black sky (clouds are working) after updating both BH and Scatterer (0.54). Does anybody else have the same issue?

I've not tested 0.54 but I doubt it would introduce any problems. Make sure when updating BH you removed the last version completely, then installed 1.1.0. then, install the next scatterer. 

While this is far future, science has clearly stagnated or worse, entered a technological dark age in the period since the last colony ship landed on Rhode.  The lack of funds to sustain wildly ambitious terraforming projects indicates a political agenda dominated by domestic issues and a nascent colony riven by strife that had a corrosive impact on the scientific and engineering skills of subsequent generations of Kerbals.  As the Rhodian population enters into a period of relative stability, their eyes once more turn to the stars in pursuit of answers to the Three Big Questions: "Where did we come from?  Why are we here?  And who ate all the snacks anyway?"  The establishment of a new Rhodian Space Centre to relive the lessons of the past is long overdue.

Actually my question was, what space suit texture do you think best fits with your scenario but I got a little side tracked.

Edited by Friznit

2 hours ago, Friznit said:

While this is far future, science has clearly stagnated or worse, entered a technological dark age in the period since the last colony ship landed on Rhode.  The lack of funds to sustain wildly ambitious terraforming projects indicates a political agenda dominated by domestic issues and a nascent colony riven by strife that had a corrosive impact on the scientific and engineering skills of subsequent generations of Kerbals.  As the Rhodian population enters into a period of relative stability, their eyes once more turn to the stars in pursuit of answers to the Three Big Questions: "Where did we come from?  Why are we here?  And who ate all the snacks anyway?"  The establishment of a new Rhodian Space Centre to relive the lessons of the past is long overdue.

Actually my question was, what space suit texture do you think best fits with your scenario but I got a little side tracked.

No idea! I am not really the one to ask. 

Fair enough.  So far I've borrowed the one from GPP because of all the suit texture packs in the list it has the right qualifications to fulfull the mission and secondly, of all the suit texture packs in the list it's the only one I could get to work.

I'm having a potential issue with install, its at this step:

8 - In the same graphics settings page, turn the terrain quality up until you see "BeyondHome - LOW/MED/HIGH".

In my settings, I don't see "terrain quality", but I do see "terrain detail" which I assume is the same thing. However, with Beyond Home installed terrain detail starts at "New text", if I increase it it goes -> low -> default -> high -> high -> high -> high (nothing like "BeyondHome - LOW/MED/HIGH" though). Which ever option I set it to, if I exit and re-enter settings its back to "New text". Any suggestions?

Aside from this everything looks perfect, but just thought I'd check.

26 minutes ago, Jiffrey said:

I'm having a potential issue with install, its at this step:

8 - In the same graphics settings page, turn the terrain quality up until you see "BeyondHome - LOW/MED/HIGH".

In my settings, I don't see "terrain quality", but I do see "terrain detail" which I assume is the same thing. However, with Beyond Home installed terrain detail starts at "New text", if I increase it it goes -> low -> default -> high -> high -> high -> high (nothing like "BeyondHome - LOW/MED/HIGH" though). Which ever option I set it to, if I exit and re-enter settings its back to "New text". Any suggestions?

Aside from this everything looks perfect, but just thought I'd check.

@Thomas P. Is aware of this issue but as far as i'm aware it has no impact. If you're seeing that right off the bat, deleting Settings.cfg makes it come back but you can always just set it to the rightmost "High" and it SHOULD work the same too. Nothing to worry about!

I get the same thing.  It worked when I first installed so it's either a new bug or a mod conflict.  It's just a text thing though - simply push the slider all the way to the right and you'll get Beyond Home High detail as intended.

I was getting very confused about rocket dV requirements on Rhode until I actually checked the planet stats.  They're not the same as Kerbin!

1 hour ago, Friznit said:

I get the same thing.  It worked when I first installed so it's either a new bug or a mod conflict.  It's just a text thing though - simply push the slider all the way to the right and you'll get Beyond Home High detail as intended.

I was getting very confused about rocket dV requirements on Rhode until I actually checked the planet stats.  They're not the same as Kerbin!

Yep, they're not. I was actually a little surprised myself, wondering why my first orbital vehicle had so much delta-v left over. And then I checked the planet and was like "Oh, duh."

T4X9sIN.png

First landing on Ash! And incidentally, first successful SSTO for me, like... ever. I've tried to build them in the past, constantly failed, and only thanks to a number of mods installed (procedural wings, correct center of lift, etc) was I able to build one that worked. Sort of. I kind of had to refuel it twice on the way back... and maybe had to try many times to land it. And it still took a while. BUT I DID IT ANYWAY. I've built many successful planes in the past in both unmodded and modded installs. It's getting them to orbit that I never succeeded at, because fuel is hard to figure out with these things. Also it probably doesn't help that jets flame out on Rhode at a very low altitude, only about five kilometers up or so, making them effectively useless for an SSTO. But that's okay. I'm learning.

Gosh I love this planet pack. :D

2 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

5K?! What intakes are you using!

Um... I don't recall? Some mod's intakes. It might've been the jet engines I was using, too. They're some really efficient ones, though, that don't require a lot of air. But I've tried other jets and have been getting similar performances.

7 hours ago, Queen Cassie said:

Yep, they're not. I was actually a little surprised myself, wondering why my first orbital vehicle had so much delta-v left over. And then I checked the planet and was like "Oh, duh."

T4X9sIN.png
-snippety snoo-

Also it probably doesn't help that jets flame out on Rhode at a very low altitude, only about five kilometers up or so, making them effectively useless for an SSTO. But that's okay. I'm learning.

@Gameslinx Assuming this is the plane that struggled, it's clear why it flames out so easily. Assuming there are Rapiers, the tiny intakes here are quite insufficient to feed them at any significant altitude and speed. Assuming that's a nuclear reactor in the middle of the plane, it may be running Thor Tech WarpJet engines which are much more demanding for air than any liquid jet engine.

1 hour ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Gameslinx Assuming this is the plane that struggled, it's clear why it flames out so easily. Assuming there are Rapiers, the tiny intakes here are quite insufficient to feed them at any significant altitude and speed. Assuming that's a nuclear reactor in the middle of the plane, it may be running Thor Tech WarpJet engines which are much more demanding for air than any liquid jet engine.

I figured - Rhode flameout is a lot higher than 5km on traditional engines!

40 minutes ago, ILoveStars said:

Will there be any more celestial body additions to BH?

It's unlikely any additional bodies will be added aside from a wandering lone planet or three, but I might release a "200 years on" add-on featuring Rhode and Lua's complete colonisation.

Edited by Gameslinx