[1.9.1 - 1.10.x] Beyond Home 1.5.0 (Supports Parallax)

Gameslinx

45 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

It's unlikely any additional bodies will be added aside from a wandering lone planet or three, but I might release a "200 years on" add-on featuring Rhode and Lua's complete colonisation.

Hmmm...

56 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

It's unlikely any additional bodies will be added aside from a wandering lone planet or three, but I might release a "200 years on" add-on featuring Rhode and Lua's complete colonisation.

That gives me an idea for a challenge: people using Beyond Home must evidence the delivery of new colony ships successfully landing on Rhode or Lua.  A Colony Ship is defined as having a minimum of 200 kerbal capacity and power generation to last the trip from Old Kerbin to Rhode.  Extra points for life support mods including Deep Freeze.  Warp Drives excluded.  Cool bases using your mod of choice (including KK) get 100 internet points.

5 hours ago, Friznit said:

That gives me an idea for a challenge: people using Beyond Home must evidence the delivery of new colony ships successfully landing on Rhode or Lua.  A Colony Ship is defined as having a minimum of 200 kerbal capacity and power generation to last the trip from Old Kerbin to Rhode.  Extra points for life support mods including Deep Freeze.  Warp Drives excluded.  Cool bases using your mod of choice (including KK) get 100 internet points.

Hmm.  Sounds like a great idea.  Might be great setting for "Beyond After Kerbin", where you journey from Solitude now Dynasty (aka Duna) to Rhode.

Edited by histalonia

16 hours ago, JadeOfMaar said:

@Gameslinx Assuming this is the plane that struggled, it's clear why it flames out so easily. Assuming there are Rapiers, the tiny intakes here are quite insufficient to feed them at any significant altitude and speed. Assuming that's a nuclear reactor in the middle of the plane, it may be running Thor Tech WarpJet engines which are much more demanding for air than any liquid jet engine.

Actually, there are no rapiers. I used the jet engines from the "nuke mod" which I found on CKAN, that offers a variety of tiny parts. The rest of the engines are actually from Deep Sky, and are aerospikes that use a ton of electricity, hence the reactor.

Svm3kAK.png
This is the engine in question. Looking again I can see clearly why I was having trouble, blimey. I need to learn to read. And maybe learn how intakes actually work, yeesh. I was using the ones from the modpack because I figured they'd provide enough air on their own since, you know, they're from the same mod, but still.

Edited by Queen Cassie

On 3/19/2019 at 12:56 PM, Friznit said:

I just wanted to check the requirements for this kind of mission ant the transit time wasn't as long as I expected. On the first try my KSP crashed when MechJeb was calculating ejection burn from Rhode to Kerbol. Then on the second try I assembled small Karborundum powered scout rocket and with 4.4km/s ejection burn from Rhode I begun my 14.5 year journey. Then I paused for a while and installed Better Time Warp (because 14 years of warping is a hell lot). Then after slight correction burn (I don't remember how much dV I used, when you have 300 000m/s it is not an issue) I got random Janus encounter and planned maneuver at 7 million kilometer periapsis that would send me straight to Dynasty, it used around 2.7km/s.

8W7Ha1C.jpg

After that a little correction burn and year later circularization burn around Dynasty followed (around 1km/s)

wvtfyl1.jpg

That is one half part of the mission completed
Time taken from Rhode launch to Dynasty orbit: 16 years, 391 days, 5 hours, 57 minutes
Estimated USI-LS needed (for 200 kerbals): 512 tons of fertilizer

Now onto the second part...
First of all I started with ejection burn 770m/s ejection burn from Dynasty to 20GM x 18GM Kerbol orbit. After that I had to wait something like 4 years for ejection burn from Kerbol to Rhode that took a little less than 3km/s of dV. During the burn I got to see laser party caused by series of Fate/Destiny encounters. Now my autopilot had 23 years of rest before even coming close to inner Tempus system. Right after entering SOI of Rhode my velocity was more than 6km/s so aerobraking was not an option, yes... I tried it exploded few seconds after entry at 34 kilometers of altitude (vertical speed was something like 3.5km/s). This meant that I had to settle with small 5km/s circularization burn to get me to 100km circular orbit around Rhode.

dpkZUGa.png

Now I just had to land this thing, ideally as close to space centre as possible. Then I crashed... and so did KSP, and it somehow took Chrome down with it, thanks Kraken I didn't lose progress on this post. Then attempt #2 was also a failure, but the 3rd attempt was finally success! 

UlzVV84.png

B0RcWcj.png

Final statistics:
Total Delta-V used (Rhode Launch - Dynasty orbit - Rhode landing): 24,874m/s
Time taken: 44 years, 405 days, 0 hours, 16 minutes
Estimated USI-LS needed (for the round trip): 1024 tons of fertilizer (using 208 seats all with 80% recyclers)

@Friznit  Thank you for the idea for this mission! Maybe I'll try it with all 200 kerbals at some point, but only crew cabins and recyclers are something like 90 parts, and also my current design would cost something around 80 million funds to build in career.

Edited by Raptor42
I promised to add pictures so here they are!

16 hours ago, ILoveStars said:

Will there be any more celestial body additions to BH?

He just released this like 2 weeks ago.  Are you already bored with the current planet line up?

Edited by goldenpsp

6 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

He just released this like 2 weeks ago.  Are you already bored with the current planet line up?

Um no, but just saying, there could be another gas giant. janus and that other gas giant which hosts Kohm seem a bit lonely. :p

plus, they're in different systems.

no offense to @Gameslinx, they're still awesome. ;)

Also, I like the rogue planet idea. Maybe that could be a gas giant. :)

Nevertheless, the Tempus system is very interesting. I like the contrast.

Edited by ILoveStars

For whatever reason, I cant get this mod to work. I have followed all of the instructions and installed all of the needed mods.

Edit: In case it is significant, I did not use CKAN to install the mod. I did it manually.

Edited by Dynamite Dinosaur
Included additional Information that may be useful for problem solving.

18 minutes ago, Dynamite Dinosaur said:

For whatever reason, I cant get this mod to work. I have followed all of the instructions and installed all of the needed mods.

Edit: In case it is significant, I did not use CKAN to install the mod. I did it manually.

Hop on the discord linked in the main thread and send me a screenshot of your GameData folder

On 3/9/2019 at 10:58 AM, Gameslinx said:

Huh? You need Kopernicus for this to work, my dude!

Your GameData should looks like this (I edited out the folders that are extra mods)

jPphiT0.png

I may have found the issue - The screenshot above is the one you took a short while back for someone else. I have all the required mods installed and nothing else. However, you are using Module Manager version 4.0.1, while I seem to be using version 2.5.6

Would this cause an issue?

Edited by Dynamite Dinosaur
Included additional Information that may be useful for problem solving.

20 minutes ago, Dynamite Dinosaur said:

I may have found the issue - The screenshot above is the one you took a short while back for someone else. I have all the required mods installed and nothing else. However, you are using Module Manager version 4.0.1, while I seem to be using version 2.5.6

Would this cause an issue?

Definitely, since your MM is 2 KSP versions out of date 

4 minutes ago, Friznit said:

Remind me, what is the reason for removing the Scatterer sun flare?  Will it look horrible if I remove that cfg file?

Why are you removing the scatterer sunflare? I'm confused now.

24 minutes ago, Friznit said:

BeyondHome_RemoveFlare.cfg sets sunLensFlareColor to 0.  I'm assuming there's good reason for that being there.  I don't want to break anything by removing it but suns with no flares are are bit flat.

If you use scatterer, you will have sunflares. That config removes the really ugly stock sunflare when using scatterer.

NvuqlAs.jpg

I broke the game somehow.

So I was attaching some parachutes using KIS because I'd forgotten to put airbrakes on this plane, and the chutes didn't appear once placed. But they still seemed to be there since they showed up in staging so I was like "Okay, let's just use them anyway."

I get down to altitude, get my speed just low enough to use them, use them, and then... this. Darkness everywhere. When I went back to the space center it was similarly bereft of light, as were any other ships I tried playing. The plane had vanished from the tracking center.

So I tried going back and using the chutes again. There were missing textures EVERYWHERE (and the planet could not be seen) when I reloaded the quicksave. Ultimately I reentered no issues, but using the parachutes led to the same result.

So uh, I guess, lesson learned. Don't use invisible parachutes.