[1.9.1 - 1.10.x] Beyond Home 1.5.0 (Supports Parallax)

Gameslinx

@Gameslinx,, good luck fixing your computer problems.  In the meantime, here's something to think about.

I opened the base on Lua and it broke my game.  Specifically, when I go to the Tracking Station, I can't get out again.  Whenever I click on the "Leave" button in the upper right corner of the screen, I get this:

5b4gXTU.jpg

Neither button on the displayed ship does anything and I can't leave this screen except force-quitting the game via the 3-finger salute.

Here are all the logs I could find.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/wo7uduepk5oxu4s/BH Problem Logs.zip?dl=0

@Gameslinx, after poking around with this a bit, I've decided this is all due to Kerbal Konstructs (because of all the warnings thrown in the debug console blaming KK).  I've looked around in the config files and nothing jumped out at me (I know NOTHING of KK configs, having never used it before).   There are 3 issues.

#1:  Using Lua Launch Facility Breaks the Game

This is by far the most serious problem.  This happens after you build a ship in the Rhode VAB then select the Lua base to launch from (which is the only way to use the Lua base).  There are 2 ways this breaks the game.  The 1st way is if you try to get back to the Space Center (external view of KSC) after flying a ship from the Lua base.  This can be from hitting ESC/Space Center or if you recover the ship (which has to be on Rhode---that's another issue discussed later).  The second way is if you hit ESC/Tracking Station while a ship launched from Lua is in flight.

When going back to the external Space Center view, instead of going to KSC, the camera spawns orbiting the launchpad (not VAB, SPH, or tracking center) on Lua.  This DESPITE being sure the "retain viewpoint on last launch site" setting was NOT enabled.  This breaks the game because NONE of the buildings of the Lua base are interactive- and ships landed on the base don't even show up in the view.  So you have nothing to click on except the "Leave" button in the upper right, which brings up the same Pause menu usually seen at KSC, where you can resume, save, load, or quit to main menu.  If you resume, you're still stuck.  If you save, you solidify your stuckness.  If you load, you lose all progress.  And if you quit to main, the persistent file gets stuck at the Lua launchpad, too, so that's where you'll still be if you exit and reload the file.

When you have a Lua-launched ship in flight and hit ESC/Tracking Center, even worse things happen.  That destroys the entire universe (see my pic 2 posts above).  As with the bugged Space Center view, quitting here saves this to your persistent file, making it only 64K in size.

In both cases, the only way to recover is to load a quicksave from before you flew a ship from the Lua base.

#2:  Lua Base Cannot Recover Ships

and related

#3.  Lua Base Cannot Hold Kerbals

Despite having the KK settings arranged to allow remote recovery, it just doesn't happen at all.  In addition, you can click both the Lua VAB and SPH, spend $100K each, and supposedly give them the ability to store nearby ships.  Yet both buildings continue to say there are no craft within range, even when you have a rover touching one of their walls.

All facilities of the Lua base state they don't need to be staffed to operate.  That's fine---ancient automated manufacturing is fine with me.  HOWEVER, they still need facilities to at least "store" Kerbals.  Their inability to do so is probably why recovery doesn't work.

These things are problems because they bork the ability to use the Lua base for crewed launches.  All the Kerbals live on Rhode so even if an underground army of robots on Lua mines the raw materials and builds the rockets, you still need to get the crew from Rhode to Lua.  But because the Lua base can't recover ships or accommodate any Kerbals, you can't actually do this.  Any Kerbals actually flown to Lua have no choice but to come back to Rhode if you ever want to use them again.

Now, because you actually load the Kerbals in the KSC VAB and then select the Lua launchpad, the Kerbals teleport to Lua so you can still actually fly crewed missions from there.  But you can't even fake sending the Kerbals to Lua by flying empty crew shuttles there first because the Lua base can't recover (or refuel) ships on Lua.  So instead of having reusable shuttles, you have to terminate them each flight once they land on Lua.

But all this is rather moot right now due to using the Lua base at all porking the game.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely love your mod. The planets have so much detail and are very unique and I really want to use it in my playthrough with many other planet mods but I can't seem to find a version that adds your planets but also keeps the stock system. Are there plans for this like GPP Secondary ?

4 hours ago, Learwin said:

Absolutely love your mod. The planets have so much detail and are very unique and I really want to use it in my playthrough with many other planet mods but I can't seem to find a version that adds your planets but also keeps the stock system. Are there plans for this like GPP Secondary ?

The problem is, this pack is the Kerbol system! (Just a long time in the future). So it wouldn't really make sense to add the stock system back as a secondary since it already is in the mod :)

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

The problem is, this pack is the Kerbol system! (Just a long time in the future). So it wouldn't really make sense to add the stock system back as a secondary since it already is in the mod :)

I really dig the idea of some sort of narrative but I would still would like the option even if it doesn't make sense logic wise.

Hi, I have been having trouble with KSP. I am on the current latest version, A fresh install. However whenever a spacecraft crashes or explodes into the ground, the entire game freezes, and will (depending on how many parts are involved) crash. This does not happen to me on regular unmodded KSP, is there anything that could be causing this?

6 hours ago, Monokron said:

Hi, I have been having trouble with KSP. I am on the current latest version, A fresh install. However whenever a spacecraft crashes or explodes into the ground, the entire game freezes, and will (depending on how many parts are involved) crash. This does not happen to me on regular unmodded KSP, is there anything that could be causing this?

Can you upload your KSP.log to a site like Dropbox and paste a link to it here?

On 8/24/2019 at 6:31 PM, Kerbulon said:

Alright, so I am getting the "Kopernicus was not able to load the custom planetary system due to an exception in the loading process" error.
Do I need to get rid of my other Planet mods or something else? (I'm using 1.7.3).

Most likely. Can you also upload your KSP.log and put a link to it here? Thank you

Im getting a problem when trying to rescale this, i get 148 module manager errors relating to sigma's atmoscale.cfg file, though when i go ingame with it and ive changed the atmosphere height it seems sorta fine for lua and gateway (the 2 planets i tested) but the barometer just shows "minimal" when above 50k on rhode, and there is some drag, but not as much as there should be.

the module manager errors: https://pastebin.com/s5JGspuf

edit: did some testing on a fresh install with the dependencies and sigma and my custom rescale settings, works fine, so its something else, but i have absolutely no idea whats doing it.

edit 2: for some unknown reason, module manager 4.0.3 has the errors, and mm 4.0.2 does not.

Edited by Amodii

6 hours ago, Amodii said:

Im getting a problem when trying to rescale this, i get 148 module manager errors relating to sigma's atmoscale.cfg file, though when i go ingame with it and ive changed the atmosphere height it seems sorta fine for lua and gateway (the 2 planets i tested) but the barometer just shows "minimal" when above 50k on rhode, and there is some drag, but not as much as there should be.

the module manager errors: https://pastebin.com/s5JGspuf

edit: did some testing on a fresh install with the dependencies and sigma and my custom rescale settings, works fine, so its something else, but i have absolutely no idea whats doing it.

edit 2: for some unknown reason, module manager 4.0.3 has the errors, and mm 4.0.2 does not.

yes this is because the old MM used to replace tabulations with spaces, now it will replace tabulations with "\t" so the math will break and generate an error

I already have a fix that will be included in the next release of SD, in the meantime you can stick with MM 4.0.2 and it shouldn't be an issue

This pack looks different and interesting :) 

Might be a silly question, but is there a delta-v map floating around anywhere? I tend to customise my mod loadout to fit the planetary system I'm playing in, so knowing the averages and maximums helps :D 

On 9/9/2019 at 4:15 PM, eddiew said:

Might be a silly question, but is there a delta-v map floating around anywhere? I tend to customise my mod loadout to fit the planetary system I'm playing in, so knowing the averages and maximums helps :D 

There is but I had to dig to find it.  This really shoiuld be linked in the OP

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/182708-173-beyond-home-120-after-kerbol-has-died-huge-update/page/17/&tab=comments#comment-3639837

2 hours ago, Geschosskopf said:

It's a work in progress, since the numbers for Gateway are from before its mass change. I hope to have it done soon :)

14 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

It's a work in progress, since the numbers for Gateway are from before its mass change. I hope to have it done soon :)

It'll do for a while at least :D  My game time is... very limited. And so far all I've done this career is achieve orbit :blush:

On 9/8/2019 at 3:28 PM, Geschosskopf said:

@Gameslinx, any word on fixing the problem with the Lua base destroying the universe?  IKerbal Konstructs has updated twice recently but I haven't had the nerve to try it ;) 

Yeah, if you have Making History installed (...and maybe making less history not installed? Not sure yet) it will break. Since I don't own MH or BG I can't really test it myself but I'm looking at creating patches for those sites with the help of planet modders that do have the expansions. The reason the game will lock up is most likely because the game is referencing launch sites that do not exist. This probably translates across to Kerbal Konstructs as well, which is why the Lua base and Rhode Mountaintop will not work.

1 hour ago, Gameslinx said:

Yeah, if you have Making History installed (...and maybe making less history not installed? Not sure yet) it will break. Since I don't own MH or BG I can't really test it myself but I'm looking at creating patches for those sites with the help of planet modders that do have the expansions. The reason the game will lock up is most likely because the game is referencing launch sites that do not exist. This probably translates across to Kerbal Konstructs as well, which is why the Lua base and Rhode Mountaintop will not work.

Thanks for checking.

I have both MH and BG but, as per the installation instructions in the OP, I also have Making Less History.

The Lua base actually works for launching, but not recovery.  The main problem, however, is that once you launch a ship from there, and switch focus away from it, the universe implodes. 

I also just noticed another problem with the Lua base since the most recent KK update.  The comms network no longer links to Rhode and its extra ground stations, but only to Lua's tracking center.  This is very annoying.  I'll try shutting down the Lua tracking station and see if that fixes things.