[1.9.1 - 1.10.x] Beyond Home 1.5.0 (Supports Parallax)

Gameslinx

1 hour ago, Selphadur said:

Last question is it intended that clouds are one layer only and it looks like thin film when you pass them? If so are there any plans to improve them (make them more volumetric - as EVE-Redux is faster than original)?

The clouds are just a spherical mesh around the planet. The volumetrics come from particles that spawn inside that layer. I could make them thicker to hide the transition entirely, but I don't really want to make Rhode's clouds thick. There's no way to really make that transition better without it

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

The clouds are just a spherical mesh around the planet. The volumetrics come from particles that spawn inside that layer. I could make them thicker to hide the transition entirely, but I don't really want to make Rhode's clouds thick. There's no way to really make that transition better without it

So there should be some volumetrics? Because atm layer is completely flat. There is no depth.
Could be just me or could be something with EVE-Redux. But there is no volumetrics whatsoever. Even stock EVE config has a little bit of them. I will make screenshot later on.

EDIT:

Here are the screenshots:
https://pasteboard.co/Jt1QrQh.jpg

https://pasteboard.co/Jt1QxCl.jpg

As you can see there is no volumetrics, no depth, nothing, just a thin film (mesh) with very noticable transition. I don't see any fog like clouds and etc. Just plain mesh with cloud texture.

Also is there  a way to get rid of these lines? https://pasteboard.co/Jt284Gt.jpg

Edited by Selphadur

So after the release of Parallax and BH 1.5 I have been one of many to try out the new goodies, and so far I really like what I see!

Coming from JNSQ however, the native scale of BH really just feels too small - the balance of JNSQ just fits SO well with the stockalike balance that all the great parts mods have nowadays. I know there's a bunch of others who feel the same way and who may even be put off by any system not being similar in scale.

Long story short, I decided to take a basic rescale config and make some custom adjustments, particularly to the home planet, to get that JNSQ feeling when playing Beyond Home as well!
And since I figured some of you may want the same thing, I thought I'd share my config here for anyone to use: https://github.com/Morphisor244/Beyond-Home-Rescale

Simply put the .cfg file anywhere in gamedata and make sure Sigma Dimensions is installed properly. 
Rationale behind the changes is in the readme.

I have only visited Lau & Armstrong so far, but I am compelled to post that this is undoubtedly the best I have ever seen KSP and I'm running +130 mods under 10.10.1.. I'm amazed. It's new game for me.

Well done Gameslinx. Excellent work.

On 9/24/2020 at 10:48 PM, NateDaBeast said:

Kopernicus updated in the last hour and it appears to have messed with Beyond Home because for me now it just loads stock KSP

EDIT: I tried it with the Kopernicus release right before the latest update and it works fine so its definitely gotta be something with the new release.

Also does anyone get lower FPS when near say Ash or Lua, but other planets FPS drop isn't as bad.

Ok, do you have PlanetShine installed? It appears to be causing the massive FPS drop on Lua and most other planets.

14 minutes ago, Norcalplanner said:

@Morphisor That looks very interesting. Do all the Kerbal Konstructs objects work correctly? Such as the other launch sites and whatnot...

As far as I know they should be more or less fine, but exceptions can happen. I haven't done much testing on them yet. There's not many in BH though it'd be quick enough to find out.

58 minutes ago, coyotesfrontier said:

Ok, do you have PlanetShine installed? It appears to be causing the massive FPS drop on Lua and most other planets.

I do, guess I'll uninstall and try it out right now.

EDIT: Seems like you are right, got about 20-30 more FPS, thanks man!

Edited by NateDaBeast

Hello, I've been enjoying this solar system a lot so far but I've run into a problem with my first attempted landing. I fell through Armstrong's surface at 2 m/s and promptly exploded. I'm running KSP 1.10, Sigma Scaling (x2.4), Kopernicus "Bleeding Edge" r32. The log doesn't indicate anything else amiss.

[WRN] [F: 178075]: Vessel Emperor I-B crashed through terrain on Armstrong.
[LOG] [KSPI]: Handling Impactor
[LOG] etc

I had more luck with a second attempt, so it may have been a fluke or location based. The arrow from the X roughly marks where I fell through the surface.

...Third attempt on the highlands near the check also fell through and exploded. :/

Last edit: There are kill planes all over the high altitudes (often above the surface), false ground in most lower altitudes. I'll see if this applies to other bodies and hold out for a fix.

TPrfUsC.png

Edited by Dal

On 9/27/2020 at 10:16 PM, NateDaBeast said:

I do, guess I'll uninstall and try it out right now.

Perhaps this is because the https://github.com/Gameslinx/BeyondHomePlanetMod/blob/master/GameData/BeyondHome/BeyondHome_PlanetShine.cfg is completely commented out.

If there would be a working config for PlanetShine the problems could disappear.

Question - is Armstrong supposed to have any scatters? Ran into a bug with auto science sampler that gave me every single scatter interaction/sample on craft exit, and found some stuff for Armstrong in there, but I can't find any scatters on Armstrong what so ever. Flew over quite a bit of the moon with an infinite fuel Jebediah on 4x warp, nada, nothing. Can't find any on a pure BH install either, ksp 1.10. Are they just in certain hidden spots? Terrain scatters load just fine on Rhode.

-edit again many hours later, a bit more educated- Surface features don't seem to spawn at all. On 1.9 or 1.10 - is this a current issue or something I need to do a completely fresh install for and get some logs? Nothing appears even when using the surface features cheat menu.. arrow... thing. Tried on Rhode, Lua, and Armstrong.

Edited by TheUnamusedFox

On 9/29/2020 at 6:06 PM, Dal said:

Hello, I've been enjoying this solar system a lot so far but I've run into a problem with my first attempted landing. I fell through Armstrong's surface at 2 m/s and promptly exploded. I'm running KSP 1.10, Sigma Scaling 2.4, Kopernicus "Bleeding Edge" r32. The log doesn't indicate anything else amiss.

I had more luck with a second attempt, so it may have been a fluke or location based. The arrow from the X roughly marks where I fell through the surface.

...Third attempt on the highlands near the check also fell through and exploded. :/

Last edit: There are kill planes all over the high altitudes (often above the surface), false ground in most lower altitudes. I'll see if this applies to other bodies and hold out for a fix.

I'm having a similar issue using Sigma Dimensions / Rescale 3.5 (Morphisor config posted above).  On descent to Lua I get some land flickering in and out showing the ocean below (don't know why imgur link won't draw here):

https://imgur.com/a/ZPuv9go

and then I fall through the ground:

https://imgur.com/a/sTwrYju

I'm using several mods but nothing that I think would cause this:

Spoiler

Astrogator (Astrogator v0.10.1)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.17.0)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
BetterCrewAssignment (BetterCrewAssignment 1.4)
Beyond Home (BeyondHome 1.5.2)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.5.1)
Celestial Body Science Editor (CelestialBodyScienceEditor 12.0)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.11)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit 5.1.0.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.1.0)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.2)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.4)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.2.2)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.1.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.1.0)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.10.1-3)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.7)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.7.2)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.26)
Kerbal Inventory System - No Fun (KerbalInventorySystemNoFun v0.1.10)
LoadingTipsPlus (LoadingTipsPlus V1.8)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.10.1)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.4)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 1.2.3)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 1.1.3)
Near Future Exploration (NearFutureExploration 1.0.10)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.6.3)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.0.3)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.2.3)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.2.3)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.3.3)
Parallax (Parallax 1.0.1)
Precise Editor (PreciseEditor v1.4.0.2)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.11.1)
Probes Before Crew [PBC] (ProbesBeforeCrew 2.80)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.4)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.4)
Rational Resources (RationalResources 1.11.0)
RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.9.8)
ReStock (ReStock 1.2.1)
ReStock+ (ReStockPlus 1.2.1)
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0632)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0632)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0632)
Science - Full Reward! (Continued) (Science-Full-Reward v5.1)
Science - Full Transmit! (Science-Full-Transmit v1.1)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (StationPartsExpansionRedux 1.3.6)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 1.3.0.0)
USI Tools (USITools 1.3.0.0)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.2.6)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

EDIT: I removed sigma and rescale, and the terrain issues have gone away - it looks and behaves beautifully.  I also noticed that some black polygons/jaggies on the horizon have gone away.  So I think the Sigma/Rescale was the cause of the problem.  Too bad because I agree that Rhode is a bit to easy to get into orbit.  Perhaps though the challenges lie elsewhere in the solar system...

Edited by Kerbocracy

9 hours ago, Violet said:

Hello! I seem to have found an fix for your issue kerbocracy! i had the same problem and it took a while to fix it.. thankfully someone else had the issue before and sigma responded on github!

https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Dimensions/issues/95

the fix is to remove the scaling of the "Minimum Distance Terrain"! 

Excellent find! I've seen this issue reported so many times, always differs which mod is blamed for it, so hopefully many people see this (or you know, SD gets updated with it).

12 hours ago, Violet said:

Hello! I seem to have found an fix for your issue kerbocracy! i had the same problem and it took a while to fix it.. thankfully someone else had the issue before and sigma responded on github!

https://github.com/Sigma88/Sigma-Dimensions/issues/95

the fix is to remove the scaling of the "Minimum Distance Terrain"! 

Wow great find!:0.0:  This indeed worked for me and the surface is Lua is now _much_ more firm. 

I still have a remaining issue that I wonder if you have or have had.  It is related to the black lines/jaggies seen on the horizon - usually during ascent.  I think it might be related to a scatterer config or something or maybe EVE:

https://imgur.com/a/AX3V68L

Those thin black lines, which seem to be the edges of terrain features, are seen to dance around on ascent and it is distracting.  Without Sigma/Rescale this is either not present or so slight it is unnoticeable.  I found that it reduces when I jack up the AA, and is least noticeable at 8x AA, but this screencap is from 8x AA.

I also notice that some terrain features appear black on the horizon - larger hills appear as black triangles/polygons - not sure if this is related to the above 'jaggies' issue but seems like maybe:

https://imgur.com/a/KEpdlu0

Have you encountered this?  Note that I"m using Morphisor's Rescale 3.5x BH config rather than regular Rescale 3.5x. 

Thanks in advance for any help!

My mod list again for ref:

Spoiler

Astrogator (Astrogator v0.10.1)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v2.17.0)
BetterBurnTime (BetterBurnTime 1.10)
BetterCrewAssignment (BetterCrewAssignment 1.4)
Beyond Home (BeyondHome 1.5.2)
Breaking Ground (BreakingGround-DLC 1.5.1)
Celestial Body Science Editor (CelestialBodyScienceEditor 12.0)
ClickThrough Blocker (ClickThroughBlocker 1:0.1.10.11)
Community Category Kit (CommunityCategoryKit 5.1.0.0)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 1.4.1.0)
Community Tech Tree (CommunityTechTree 1:3.4.2)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.30.4)
Deployable Engines Plugin (DeployableEngines 1.2.2)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued (DistantObject v2.0.1.0)
Distant Object Enhancement Continued default config (DistantObject-default v2.0.1.0)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 3:1.10.1-3)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 1.7)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.7.2)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.26)
Kerbal Inventory System - No Fun (KerbalInventorySystemNoFun v0.1.10)
LoadingTipsPlus (LoadingTipsPlus V1.8)
Making History (MakingHistory-DLC 1.10.1)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 4.1.4)
Near Future Construction (NearFutureConstruction 1.2.3)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 1.1.3)
Near Future Exploration (NearFutureExploration 1.0.10)
Near Future IVA Props (NearFutureProps 1:0.6.3)
Near Future Launch Vehicles (NearFutureLaunchVehicles 2.0.3)
Near Future Solar (NearFutureSolar 1.2.3)
Near Future Solar Core (NearFutureSolar-Core 1.2.3)
Near Future Spacecraft (NearFutureSpacecraft 1.3.3)
Parallax (Parallax 1.0.1)
Precise Editor (PreciseEditor v1.4.0.2)
Precise Node (PreciseNode 1.2.11.1)
Probes Before Crew [PBC] (ProbesBeforeCrew 2.80)
RasterPropMonitor (RasterPropMonitor 1:v0.31.4)
RasterPropMonitor Core (RasterPropMonitor-Core 1:v0.31.4)
Rational Resources (RationalResources 1.11.0)
RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.9.8)
ReStock (ReStock 1.2.1)
ReStock+ (ReStockPlus 1.2.1)
SCANsat (SCANsat v20.4)
scatterer (Scatterer 3:v0.0632)
Scatterer Default Config (Scatterer-config 3:v0.0632)
Scatterer Sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 3:v0.0632)
Science - Full Reward! (Continued) (Science-Full-Reward v5.1)
Science - Full Transmit! (Science-Full-Transmit v1.1)
Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (StationPartsExpansionRedux 1.3.6)
Toolbar Controller (ToolbarController 1:0.1.9.4)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 1.3.0.0)
USI Tools (USITools 1.3.0.0)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.8.2.6)
Zero MiniAVC (ZeroMiniAVC 1:1.1.0.1)

42 minutes ago, Kerbocracy said:

Have you encountered this?  Note that I"m using Morphisor's Rescale 3.5x BH config rather than regular Rescale 3.5x. 

I believe both of these are scatterer related - the black peaks definitely. They're there without rescale, but nowhere near as obvious

4 minutes ago, Gameslinx said:

I believe both of these are scatterer related - the black peaks definitely. They're there without rescale, but nowhere near as obvious

Ok I'll look into that and thanks for the quick reply.  For  your install, do some of the terrain scatters appear to not dim/lower contrast with distance?  I'm noticing on Rhode that some of the tall trees (Eucalyptus like ones) are dark at maximum draw range, while the cactuses and the purple flowers appear to dim/lower contrast with range.  I think maybe the contrast dimming on terrain scatter is also driven by scatterer?  Just wondering if everyone else is having this issue.  Cheers.

https://imgur.com/a/83WqPrz

4 hours ago, Alex6511 said:

Hey I was just curious. Playing a sandbox game and I don't see any asteroids (the randomly generated ones). Do they spawn at all?

It does not look like he included any asteroid configs in his pack, so no, they would not.

In the past with Kopernicus, they would've spawned around the homeworld anyways via the stock generator.  But this is no longer the case.  The pack now has to define asteroids + their spawn locations, or none spawn.

Edited by R-T-B

7 hours ago, Alex6511 said:

Hey I was just curious. Playing a sandbox game and I don't see any asteroids (the randomly generated ones). Do they spawn at all?

2 hours ago, R-T-B said:

It does not look like he included any asteroid configs in his pack, so no, they would not.

In the past with Kopernicus, they would've spawned around the homeworld anyways via the stock generator.  But this is no longer the case.  The pack now has to define asteroids + their spawn locations, or none spawn.

They do, unless something has changed in recent Kop/KSP versions. They spawn in the default location (So just outside Rhode's orbit). I have some in my career save floating about

On 9/27/2020 at 9:41 PM, Norcalplanner said:

@Morphisor That looks very interesting. Do all the Kerbal Konstructs objects work correctly? Such as the other launch sites and whatnot...

Just wanted to check back in with you, I tested both KSC2 and the Lua site today, everything looking right as it should:

Spoiler

BBfiYMv.jpg

Those are some BIG trees though!

KzZuls5.jpg

Also, that is one amazing view.

I'm not aware of any other sites in Beyond Home, KK base selector didn't have any others in sandbox.

12 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

They do, unless something has changed in recent Kop/KSP versions. They spawn in the default location (So just outside Rhode's orbit). I have some in my career save floating about

I've been looking around and I can't find any. I'm playing in science, so they should show up without anything like the sentinel afaik.

EDIT: I do know in the main game in the past there was a problem where asteroids for non-kerbin planets would only spawn after you had visited them for the first time. I have visited every planet in the main system now and still don't see any, however.

I haven't visited Kerbol yet because I haven't figured out a way to pack enough Snacks!

Edited by Alex6511

12 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

That was the behavior when we used the stock generator, which was a stopgap measure to implement comets.  We don't use it anymore though, nodes must be defined like in Kopernicus 1.8.1.  The pro to this is you can decide where asteroids will spawn.  The stock generator was always more of a stopgap solution, because it wasn't customizable.

Yes, this was a recent change, though technically it is going back to 1.8 behavior.  Sorry for the lack of communication on it.  I believe this PDF may help you with the configs you need:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lag8opde3zimjqc/KopernicusAsteroids.pdf?dl=0

Edited by R-T-B