[1.9.1 - 1.10.x] Beyond Home 1.5.0 (Supports Parallax)

Gameslinx

I have started a visual overhaul of Beyond Home

It's been a while since I've posted updates to this thread but I am working on Beyond Home again to give it a breath of fresh air with some better looking planets and surfaces. I'm working on a version of Parallax that works from orbit so planets can be seen in a ton more detail. And yes, this means I will also be updating Beyond Home so that it uses Parallax 1.2.x as well! This will bring a 130% FPS boost and collisions to the planets you know and love. Here are some early screenshots of the new looks for Rhode and (potentially) Eidos:

hAFD0mz.png

tdJ6AXy.jpg

On 2/25/2021 at 6:38 PM, Gameslinx said:

It's been a while since I've posted updates to this thread but I am working on Beyond Home again to give it a breath of fresh air with some better looking planets and surfaces. I'm working on a version of Parallax that works from orbit so planets can be seen in a ton more detail. And yes, this means I will also be updating Beyond Home so that it uses Parallax 1.2.x as well! This will bring a 130% FPS boost and collisions to the planets you know and love. Here are some early screenshots of the new looks for Rhode and (potentially) Eidos:

hAFD0mz.png

tdJ6AXy.jpg

O-M-G

On 2/12/2021 at 4:35 AM, TruthfulGnome said:

anyreason to why the KSC is under the ground in 2.5x scale? 

Use KKtoSD mod

On 2/26/2021 at 12:38 AM, Gameslinx said:

hAFD0mz.png

tdJ6AXy.jpg

I'm REALLY excited now! Eidos looks beautiful, I would love to see this in the game! One question, will the update also make Beyond Home compatible for 1.11?

This is a very imaginative and fun planet pack!

Has anyone had issues getting the objects on Gateway to display properly? I'm running KSP 1.10.1 and Parallax 1.0.1. Some planets have no issues (like Hydrus, Rock, and Rhode), others have a hard time displaying the custom objects. They sometimes phase in and out randomly.

Thanks, and I can't wait for the next update of BH! So far I've dumped over a hundred hours into career mode with this pack!

On 2/28/2021 at 10:55 PM, tom1328732 said:

Has anyone had issues getting the objects on Gateway to display properly? I'm running KSP 1.10.1 and Parallax 1.0.1. Some planets have no issues (like Hydrus, Rock, and Rhode), others have a hard time displaying the custom objects. They sometimes phase in and out randomly.

I'll take a look at this for the next update - Can you get a video of what's happening?

On 3/2/2021 at 7:56 AM, Gameslinx said:

I'll take a look at this for the next update - Can you get a video of what's happening?

Absolutely! I took this video tonight:

The first half of the video is on Gateway, the second half is showing planets where the objects appear properly. I've also noticed the objects (brains on stems? Trees?) phase in/out weirdly on Voss as well. I've never seen a terraformer on Lua, either.

Thank you so much!
-Tom

10 hours ago, ThexLoneWolf said:

Hey, I'm curious, is this mod compatible with the most recent version of Parallax? I know the modder says to download a specific version, but I'm curious.

No, it isn't. Scroll a bit up and read the information about the next Beyond Home update.

6 hours ago, Shad_The_Knight said:

will this mod work for ksp 1.11, or will I need to go back to 1.10 and redownload every mod I had for 1.10?

Well, it isn't marked as 1.11 compatible, but I can confirm it works pretty fine. But I'd recommend you using the Kopernicus Bleeding Edge branche for 1.11, if you want to know why, go to page 52 of this thread.

Edited by Neebel

Hello!

In my latest install of Beyond Home I'm experiencing an issue with the sunflare (scatterer?):

uc?id=1Xz_GogWfPpZntXvVz7Jvr_nNuC_FpOsM

I'm playing at 3440x1440 (21:9) and the sunflare seems to be 16:9. May this problem be scatterer related or Beyond Home related? I have previously played Beyond Home at the same resolution and never encountered this problem.

I would like to troubleshoot this myself and locate the error, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Someone may have a hint?

Man this beyond amazing!  I basically built a new PC just to play this pack properly :D

Thanks for bringing us closer to KSP2-like experience :D

One question, is it just me or the solar panel output is abysmal?  I am using RemoteTech and Near Future Solar and the basic solar panels (inc. stock) you get at the beginning of career are hardly enough to keep a Communotron 16 going lol - EDIT:  Basically with 1.0 sun exposure I am getting 0.033 energy flow from a panel that should output 1.2 EC/s...

Looked at the Destiny config and seems the luminosity is very very low.  Maybe too low, or is it something wrong with my setup?

I have also noticed that when Fate is eclipsing Destiny, solar panels show sunlight being blocked by Fate.  

EDIT: I've tried Kopernicus Bleeding edge (this) as suggested in page 52, since I'm running 1.10.1, but it doesn't fix the problem :-(

EDIT 2:  Ok, @Gameslinx So that you are aware...I've done some more testing, starting from a fresh clean install.  It looks like Principia is the issue.  Without Principia,  solar panels work as expected.  If I load principia (with the configuration linked in OP, solar panel output drops below 0.03...   I've found a half-baked fix by buffing the  "luminosity" value for Destiny and Fate from 356 to 6000.  Now some solar panels get a more reasonable energy flow output (around 0.52) but some others show 0.00 output even in 1.0 exposure.  Not sure what's going on and how Principia may be messing with solar panels.  Any ideas?  Shall I open a bug report on Principia?

Edited by mbound

10 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Are we still able to rescale planets with Sigma Dimensions or is that out with Parallax?

@Motokid600, Yes you can I use this one for a more JNSQ feel (it takes a little less than 5,000 m/s to orbit)

GitHub - Morphisor244/Beyond-Home-Rescale: Rescale config tailored to get the JNSQ feeling and balance in Beyond Home.

Also there is a bug with Sigma that causes you ship to fall through rescaled planets (except Rhode), but there is a fix which can be found here: (page 45 of this very thread if link doesn't work, I had this bug)

[1.9.1 - 1.10.x] Beyond Home 1.5.0 (Supports Parallax) - Add-on Releases - Kerbal Space Program Forums

Edited by Daedalus3000
It’s sigma not parallax bug my bad

21 hours ago, bonzo_bvd said:

Hello!

In my latest install of Beyond Home I'm experiencing an issue with the sunflare (scatterer?):

[snip]

I'm playing at 3440x1440 (21:9) and the sunflare seems to be 16:9. May this problem be scatterer related or Beyond Home related? I have previously played Beyond Home at the same resolution and never encountered this problem.

I would like to troubleshoot this myself and locate the error, but I'm not sure where to start looking. Someone may have a hint?

The sunflare image doesn't fade properly. This is a texture issue and the texture in question is one of the Ghosts files in BeyondHome/scatterer/config/sunflares. Thank you for letting me know

6 hours ago, mbound said:

Without Principia,  solar panels work as expected

Thank you. I don't work on the principia support so there's not much I'll be doing to combat this but I believe I can achieve it with a simple module manager patch. I've added it to the list of things to do :)

4 hours ago, Daedalus3000 said:

Also there is a bug with Parallax that causes you ship to fall through rescaled planets

This is not a Parallax bug, it's a bug with Sigma Dimensions:

Navigate to GameData/Sigma/Dimensions/Configs/ReDimension/resizePQSMods.cfg and delete the following line of text:
                  &minDetailDistance = 8
                  @minDetailDistance /= #$../SigmaDimensions/Resize$
-Save the .cfg and boot up KSP

4 hours ago, Gameslinx said:

Thank you. I don't work on the principia support so there's not much I'll be doing to combat this but I believe I can achieve it with a simple module manager patch. I've added it to the list of things to do :)

Thanks no problem.  I believe you are right, I am too much of a noob with MM and Kopernicus, otherwise I'd try to fix it myself.  For now looks like changing the luminosity in the cfg files works a as a temporary fix.  I started a new career from scratch and it seems to work consistently.  I have no idea why it works tho. 

Just tested solar panels with my patch and…      found something:

Without any patches solar panel produces 0.3 EC/s

With only patch installed - 0.244 EC/s

With only Principia installed - 0.157 EC/s

And with both installed - 0.011 EC/s

I honestly don't know what's happening and how to fix it.

(I can update the patch with the fix above, if needed)

12 hours ago, MorePortal said:

Just tested solar panels with my patch and…      found something:

Without any patches solar panel produces 0.3 EC/s

With only patch installed - 0.244 EC/s

With only Principia installed - 0.157 EC/s

And with both installed - 0.011 EC/s

I honestly don't know what's happening and how to fix it.

(I can update the patch with the fix above, if needed)

Thanks, I hadn't realized you were the original author of the Principia patch :-)

I am assuming it was working fine when you originally posted the patch, so was wondering what may have changed? Principia version?
I also noted that the issue affects both Destiny and Fate, and I had to apply the fix to both.  However, it seems changing the lighting parameter blindly is a bit "crude".  Would like to understand the root cause...
I am a noob with Kopernicus, so I don't fully understand what the various parameters under the "Light" section do.  If I got it correctly,  "luminosity" is the main parameter and "insolation" determines some sort of multiplier applied to radiated power on the ground... no clue about the rest.
I also noticed that the parameters you have there in the Light section are different from the ones in the default (non-principia) config for Destiny.  Was there a particular reason to have different parameters?
If I copy over the parameters from the default Destiny config, also the "visual" part of the sunlight becomes significantly dimmer...

New to Beyond Home, and sacré bleu, @Gameslinxthis mod is amazing--truly. I'm 100%, genuinely reinterested and excited to play KSP now. Thank you for your herculean mod.

Also, Principia may not be the only cause of solar panels getting blocked by Destiny as I do not have it, but I am experiencing a similar problem. I do however have a respectfully decent amount of other mods installed.

And if all ya'll are noobs, then I'm a scrub, so let me know if/what details you need to help diagnose.

Cheers!

edit: Specifically, the panels get "blocked by Destiny" once Fate gets within ~10deg from behind Destiny (just inside Destiny's sunflare). Interestingly, the issue also persist when Fate approaches ~10deg from in front of Destiny but only when in 50x or more time warp (orbit Lua); otherwise, or after exiting time warp, the panels are no longer "blocked by Destiny". Intuitively, it feels as though the barycenter is the light source that gets blocked by Destiny when fate sets behind it.

Edited by rocketBob