This is so stupid... Can't undock/decouple rover

:huh: This is so stupid that can't decide what to do..
I have this vessel now orbiting Duna and i am having troubles... again :D but this time it's weird since can undock one docking port after which rover part re-docks to tug using another port -this has been normal during previous operations- and after that just can't find any docking port that has undock/decouple option :huh: I am beginning to wonder my sanity as this seems to happen even on clean install and no amount of saving&reloading helps nor does jumping back and forth between spaceport/tracking center/vessel.
   What could i do? Try some 3rd party decoupling mod, edit part file or sacrifice 3 tourists to sun... even ask this on technical support?

In any case, you are welcome to try decouple rover from Mun 3.2 vessel from this persistent save and here is picture a moment before everything went sideways
chSdHWK.jpg

Have you tried undocking both docking ports? If that doesn't work, you could try wack-a-Kerbal. A last resort would be to edit the save file (or get someone else to)!

Sorry I don't have the time to load your save. One bad but workable option is to build 2 craft, the rover and the ship, each with about as much fuel is in the current ship. Put each on the pad and then use alt-f12 to rendezvous them with the current craft (watch out for clipping. You may have to rendezvous the 2nd thing with the first thing instead of with the original craft). Transfer all the people and science over, then in the tracking station delete the old craft. And if you're hurting for cash you can even edit the persistent file to up your money to cover the cost of the replacement ship and rover.

I can't give advice on multiple docking ports, I never use them.

13 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Sorry I don't have the time to load your save. One bad but workable option is to build 2 craft, the rover and the ship, each with about as much fuel is in the current ship. Put each on the pad and then use alt-f12 to rendezvous them with the current craft (watch out for clipping. You may have to rendezvous the 2nd thing with the first thing instead of with the original craft). Transfer all the people and science over, then in the tracking station delete the old craft. And if you're hurting for cash you can even edit the persistent file to up your money to cover the cost of the replacement ship and rover.

I can't give advice on multiple docking ports, I never use them.

What I meant was that usually only one docking port has the option to undock when you right-click it.

3 hours ago, Salmon said:

What I meant was that usually only one docking port has the option to undock when you right-click it.

that's because IIRC, it actually is only attaching to one port at a time.  I'm not entirely sure that thing is going to make it to the surface of duna though.

Edited by Capt. Hunt

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2019 at 11:49 AM, Salmon said:

Have you tried undocking both docking ports? If that doesn't work, you could try wack-a-Kerbal. A last resort would be to edit the save file (or get someone else to)!

I have tried to undock all 8 of those docking ports after forced re-docking upon initial decoupling but looking into editing save in this point

mhK0UPJ.jpg
a

On 3/11/2019 at 3:22 PM, Geonovast said:

You could try installing a mod that lets you edit action groups in flight, like AGX, and configure an action group to trigger the undock and decouple action on all 8 docking ports.

Will look into this also since resent attempts at staging them have not resulted in satisfactionary result!
vlsMdmV.jpg

On 3/12/2019 at 4:42 AM, Capt. Hunt said:

I'm not entirely sure that thing is going to make it to the surface of duna though.

What is this pessimism i`m hearing! Lets get somethings straight; It's not meant for it, it is possibly dangerous and it's piloted by ValWB3y9VX.jpg
all in one piece and this gave excellent -but not reproductable- results as i was able to decouple tug and rover
zEsK4hL.jpg
but as it was not upright a whole mess ensued
ORwDoLG.jpg
i have been ensured in numerous occasions that these are just results of simulations and that the crew is still safely in orbit of Duna waiting for futher instructions as what, in the actual kerbin, to do
There is this tourist crew that would do well as sacrificial lambs :o

P.s. you never know what works

a

If I understand correctly, this sounds like a recurrence of the old docking port bug, for which you need to use a persistence file editor tool:

I think that KML fixes this docking port problem automatically -- but if it doesn't, then there's another thread I can point you to.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2019 at 5:32 AM, bewing said:

I think that KML fixes this docking port problem automatically -- but if it doesn't, then there's another thread I can point you to.

Another please since cant figure out howto send command line arguments into window$ program from linux.. im soo bad with these :(

On 3/25/2019 at 9:52 AM, Foxster said:

I'm guessing this is not meant to return to orbit and re-dock? If so then why use docking ports? Unless it was assembled in LKO of course. 

It was actually launched in a single go but it consists of 3 parts; 1) interplanetary tug 2) research& mining base and 3) ascent vehicle& tug refueler.
Mission flight-plan; Launch! Get to orbit Ike and make multiple trips to surface with parts 2+3 for science fuel. Fuel up the tug before taking the whole thing into orbit of Duna. Land parts 2+3 to near 3 biomes. Drive around gathering science from those. Leave part 2 behind for possible future use and dock part 3 to tug in orbit before beginning trip back to home.

So, i have done about half of the mission and it's eating me alive!
Purrfect12.jpg

Edited by securityinstruts
picture come to life =)

• 2 months later...

I was quite desperate after making like a little 'trawler' to help me move a base unit. The base's docking port didn't have the dock option, but the rover's did. However upon clicking 'undock' not much happened, and sometimes it seemed to invoke the Kraken.
I found this guide for editing the persistence file on reddit, but it seemed my persistence file was ok.

In the end, what I did was change the 'DOCKVESSEL' node's 'rootUid' value from what it was originally (a cubic strut on the rover, as I had moved the root part to fit it on the rocket) to the rover body's rootUid and this fixed it. Just wanted to post this in case this might help anyone else!

and 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.