Cities on Kerbin

cdpch2057

7qFy9SH.jpg 

Fortunately for that there are the mods! Although my computer-potato doesn’t handle very well Kerbal Konstruction and Kerbin Side ... anyway I would like to be recommended names for the "cities" that appear in the excellent lands textures courtesy of Galileo and his SVE.

b9uQUYs.jpg

To fulfill the appetite for images, I made some maps and a little analysis of those lights in Kerbin's night.

N3W6P0X.jpg

CjOGrqn.png

c4UfJ5x.png

pLNnyFC.png

px1dxYO.png

5LS1mbp.jpg

In my "Kanon" the population of kerbals is about 10 million distributed in 141 cities. There are 36 major cities (Red), some 24 medium-sized cities (yellow) and 81 small cities (blue).

I1MphF2.jpg

Of these 141, 90 are in the grasslands, 31 in the shores, 11 in the deserts, 8 in the badlands and 2 in the highlands. No cities are visible on islands, mountains, the tundra or in the polar regions.

I also noticed the absence of cities in this area, which could be an indication of some social or environmental event in Kerbin's history.

HZ7IKPZ.jpg

That's it, choose cities (they are numbered) and propose names if you wish. Also comment if you want to continue adding these maps, for some reason I find it entertaining to make them

Here are my suggestions:

• KSC could be located somewhere near KRAKOPOLIS (#16)
  • Woomerang and Baikerbanur could be their own cities
    • In my fanwork, "A Mystery Beyond Science," while Bill, Jeb, and Val come from Baikerbanur, Bob was originally from Woomerang
  • You might want to add a city on Nye Island - or at least some establishment.
  • SQUADDON (#20) could be the capital of Kerbin. 
    • Just like the U.S., the planet is a representative democracy
    • The leader of the executive branch is an elected Prime Minister

What do you think?

I like those names! :cool:Squaddon an administrative capital and Krakopolis an industrial city near the main launching complex of the planet ...

It is also true that the Boomerang launch site is quite isolated from other cities on the planet, perhaps it is a relatively new site, close to a very small settlement.

On the other hand, Baikerbanur, is an old and unused launch site, is relatively close to the small city 77, with which it could share a name.

Nyle Island is a small base with a large antenna for the Kerbin space network as well as Crater Rim, North Station One, Harverster Massif and Mesa South.

Regarding politics, a representative democracy with a prime minister sounds like a good idea... we do not want tyrannical green men :P

In my fanwork (click on the link in my signature to read it) - and in a prequel novel I plan to write - Kerbin is more or less united.

However, there is a social rivalry between Baikerbanur and Woomerang. Just like with Blacksburg and Charlottesville in real life (GO HOKIES!), whenever their schools/sports teams/businesses face off against each other, everyone's pretty much cheering for their respective towns. 

• Though there are other prominent institutions in other cities on Kerbin, there is one rivalry that shadows the rest:
    • Baikerbanur Badgers :angry:vs Woomerang Wolverines :mad:
  • The Baikerbanur launch site, aka the "Old Launch Site" (since older KSP versions launched from there) could be named after the town it's close to. Same case for Woomerang.

It is mentioned in my fanwork, and it will be brought up in my prequel (starting date TBD), that Jeb, Bill, and Val attended Baikerbanur County High before enlisting in KSP. One time, Bill made a rocket that would drop a spy probe into Woomerang Institute's practice field so that the Badgers could spy on the Wolverines. 

• He met Bob, who was at least 2 years younger than him, at Woomerang when he went to test his rocket booster.
    • At the time, Baikerbanur County High's STEM department was seriously underfunded. :(
  • When a suborbital approach didn't work (Bill's antenna snapped off during re-entry and he lost contact), he decided to drop the probe from a plane.
    • Val piloted the rocket AND the plane.
      • When Jeb piloted the first rocket prototype, he didn't even read the instructions and it resulted in him cluster-bombing Baikerbanur County High's parking lot. :mad:
      • The last time Jeb flew a plane of Bill's design, Bill was in a coma for months (they were 10 at the time)
    • This mission is a crucial part of the plot in "A Mystery Beyond Science," --> did Bill's rocket cause a house fire or not? :/
  • While Bill, Jeb, and Val go to Baikerbanur in the same class (before KSP), Bob is 2 or 3 years below them in Woomerang (he's younger)
  • It is mentioned in "A Mystery Beyond Science" that Bob's ex-girlfriend from Woomerang, Sally Kerman, was rivals with Val during Basic.
    • Resembles the (indirect) competition between Valentina Tereshkova (USSR) and Sally Ride (USA) to be the first woman in space.

Glad you liked my ideas, by the way. :)

Sounds good!:wink: Take for granted that I will read your fanwork.

Currently my crew has 7 members Erkei, Melbina, Bill (engineers), Barlfreda, Bob (scientists), Valentina and Jebediah (pilots) from left to right.

2EzTi0T.png

Most of the maps come from the KSS "Star" I

2jPze0V.png

and the aerial mapping of the Fly series aircraft

V5LOaPJ.png

Some city names from my own headcanon:

Barkton (old name, Bar-katon)
Foxham (named after a prominent geographer of these forums)
Balcabar (old name, Bal-cabara)
Iskenar
Bolanerbat
Boladakhat
Cabaralb
Toralba

I don't think any of them map onto your city locations very well, so feel free to give them any number you wish, or no number at all. :)

I love this idea and it could be cool to make this canon across KSP. If promoted well and people buy into it, this could be a great crowd-sourced lore resource.

I think since we're talking about mods, it would be only fitting to recognize the amazing modders who make KSP (beyond vanilla) what it really is. I based this list off CKAN total mod downloads for each author. The most-downloaded mods therefore represent the most well-known mod work, so it would be fitting that the largest cities correspond to the most downloads. In addition, a number of extremely committed modders may not have the most downloads, but bring a huge amount to the game & community.

Here are some suggestions based on the list of modders (reveal spoiler) and some example city names:

List of modders (from CKAN only)

Spoiler

Most-downloaded modders / mods:

• WazWaz (Environmental Visual Enhancements - 2,059,949)
  • IgorZ (Kerbal Attachment System - 1,918,439)
  • RoverDude (Community Resource Pack - 1,106,610)
  • BobPalmer (Firespitter - 968,762)
  • Cybutek/JrBudda (Kerbal Engineer Redux - 923,592)
  • bac9 (B9 Aerospace - 790,386)
  • NathanKell/Eggrobin/Raidemick/PhineasFreak (Real Solar System - 779,936)
  • TriggerAU (Kerbal Alarm Clock - 756,637)
  • FreeThinkiner (Interstellar Fuel Switch - 685,764)
  • Blackrack (Scatterer - 673,812)

Other top modders:

• LinuxGamerGuru
  • Raidernick
  • Nertea
  • Galileo88
  • DMagic
  • Blowfish
  • Nils277
  • CobaltWolf
  • Beale
  • Paul_Kingtiger
  • Daishi
  • Blackheart612
  • Allista
  • Snark
  • SuicidalInsanity
  • Tiktaalik Dreaming

Example city names:

CITY NAME MODDER
WazWaz WazWaz
Igorza IgorZ
RoverDudenshire RoverDude
Bobpalmeria BobPalmer
Cybujrda Cybutek/JrBudda
BAC-Nine bac9
Naegraphin NathanKell/Eggrobin/Raidemick/PhineasFreak
Triggeraugsburg TriggerAU
FreeTown IFS FreeThinker
Blackrackstone Blackrack
Lingamgur Linuxgamerguru
Raider Hills Raidernick
Nerteallia Nertea
Gailileonton Galileo88
Demagicksville DMagic
Blowshuizen Blowfish
Nilsstraat Nils277
Cobaltwulfstedt CobaltWolf
Bealesbridge Beale
Paulus Rextigris Paul_Kingtiger
Daishi-zuru Daishi
Corazon Negra Blackheart612
Allistana Allista
Snarkistallia Snark
SuiIinsan SuicidalInsanity
Tiktallik Tiktallik Dreaming

NOTE: These are all completely suggestions or a starting point for discussion. I've tried to incorporate aspects of city names from various different countries and languages. Some might be trying to hard to be interesting city names, but I thought it better to be creative with these rather than just using modder/forum names.

Of course, it would be great to actually get the modder's own impressions of their respective city name(s) and if they might have any input. Basically, just a few thoughts to get the ball rolling!

Edited by scottadges

On 3/17/2019 at 7:42 PM, Bej Kerman said:

MEMEGENERATOR.NET

HAHAHA!!! You're right ... this is an old meme buried in my gallery, like this one

ZeYtWus.png

On 3/24/2019 at 6:09 PM, KSK said:

Some city names from my own headcanon:

Barkton (old name, Bar-katon)
Foxham (named after a prominent geographer of these forums)
Balcabar (old name, Bal-cabara)
Iskenar
Bolanerbat
Boladakhat
Cabaralb
Toralba

I don't think any of them map onto your city locations very well, so feel free to give them any number you wish, or no number at all. :)

Great, thanks for the suggestions they are very useful. Even so, I would like to know approximately where the cities that you named in your canon are located (it’s possible?:))

On 3/24/2019 at 7:12 PM, scottadges said:

I love this idea and it could be cool to make this canon across KSP. If promoted well and people buy into it, this could be a great crowd-sourced lore resource.

I think since we're talking about mods, it would be only fitting to recognize the amazing modders who make KSP (beyond vanilla) what it really is. I based this list off CKAN total mod downloads for each author. The most-downloaded mods therefore represent the most well-known mod work, so it would be fitting that the largest cities correspond to the most downloads. In addition, a number of extremely committed modders may not have the most downloads, but bring a huge amount to the game & community.

Here are some suggestions based on the list of modders (reveal spoiler) and some example city names:

List of modders (from CKAN only)

Reveal hidden contents

Most-downloaded modders / mods:

• WazWaz (Environmental Visual Enhancements - 2,059,949)
  • IgorZ (Kerbal Attachment System - 1,918,439)
  • RoverDude (Community Resource Pack - 1,106,610)
  • BobPalmer (Firespitter - 968,762)
  • Cybutek/JrBudda (Kerbal Engineer Redux - 923,592)
  • bac9 (B9 Aerospace - 790,386)
  • NathanKell/Eggrobin/Raidemick/PhineasFreak (Real Solar System - 779,936)
  • TriggerAU (Kerbal Alarm Clock - 756,637)
  • FreeThinkiner (Interstellar Fuel Switch - 685,764)
  • Blackrack (Scatterer - 673,812)

Other top modders:

• LinuxGamerGuru
  • Raidernick
  • Nertea
  • Galileo88
  • DMagic
  • Blowfish
  • Nils277
  • CobaltWolf
  • Beale
  • Paul_Kingtiger
  • Daishi
  • Blackheart612
  • Allista
  • Snark
  • SuicidalInsanity
  • Tiktaalik Dreaming

Example city names:

CITY NAME MODDER
WazWaz WazWaz
Igorza IgorZ
RoverDudenshire RoverDude
Bobpalmeria BobPalmer
Cybujrda Cybutek/JrBudda
BAC-Nine bac9
Naegraphin NathanKell/Eggrobin/Raidemick/PhineasFreak
Triggeraugsburg TriggerAU
FreeTown IFS FreeThinker
Blackrackstone Blackrack
Lingamgur Linuxgamerguru
Raider Hills Raidernick
Nerteallia Nertea
Gailileonton Galileo88
Demagicksville DMagic
Blowshuizen Blowfish
Nilsstraat Nils277
Cobaltwulfstedt CobaltWolf
Bealesbridge Beale
Paulus Rextigris Paul_Kingtiger
Daishi-zuru Daishi
Corazon Negra Blackheart612
Allistana Allista
Snarkistallia Snark
SuiIinsan SuicidalInsanity
Tiktallik Tiktallik Dreaming

NOTE: These are all completely suggestions or a starting point for discussion. I've tried to incorporate aspects of city names from various different countries and languages. Some might be trying to hard to be interesting city names, but I thought it better to be creative with these rather than just using modder/forum names.

Of course, it would be great to actually get the modder's own impressions of their respective city name(s) and if they might have any input. Basically, just a few thoughts to get the ball rolling!

Another great suggestion, THANK YOU!, at a certain moment consider using random names, but if it is possible to give an added value to the cities it would be so much better.

5 hours ago, cdpch2057 said:

Great, thanks for the suggestions they are very useful. Even so, I would like to know approximately where the cities that you named in your canon are located (it’s possible?:))

Okay then. :) 

Barkton isn’t numbered on your map but it’s a coastal town not far from the KSC. More accurately, KSC is on the outskirts of Barkton.

Foxham is another coastal ‘Rocket Town’. It’s east of 50 and it’s where Rockomax’s headquarters and main launch site is based.

Iskenar is south of 55 located at the end of the valley created by that C shaped mountain range. The older parts of the town are actually built into the mountain caves.

Northeast of 107, nestled in those two large bays on the coast, lie the twin jewels of Bolanerbat and Boladakhat. They’ve been wealthy trading cities since the Age of Sail.

Cabaralb is slightly northeast of 21 and is a moderately sized fishing town, now largely abandoned due to the Kerm Conflict.

I’ll have to remind myself where I put Balcabar but it’s probably not too far from the desert launch complex. Either way it’s the nearest town to the Kerbin Space Agency’s Site D, where the LV-N development program is based.

Toralba - I really need a better map to find that again. :) The name is derived from the Old Kerba for ‘two waters’ though, which is fitting because it’s located by a pair of lakes. Incidentally, apart from Iskenar and Foxham, all the other city names are based on Old Kerba words and can be consistently translated. 

Yeah - I’ve spent quite a bit of time building my headcanon. :)

Edited by KSK

• 1 year later...

Hello Astronomer81

:confused:This is not a mod, I repeat, this is not a mod:confused:

In 2019 I started a save, and I realized that in the Kerbin textures (from Galileo's SVE) there are many cities that can serve as reference of locations.

So I decided to consult the community about names for those cities that I identified.

These "cities" at the moment are just textures on the ground, but from the air, they can be seen with some clarity, especially at night.

Kerbin, like almost every body in the system, has very few places with proper names.

bStglM1.png

In a way, by naming them, I think one gets a little more involved with those places and their history.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.