I think it would be very nice if SQUAD decided to implement some sort of story mode in the later versions. It maybe shouldn't be something compulsory, but rather maybe make the world have a main quest, that you can complete at your own pace (unless there is a special mission.) The story could look like this:

First, you have to "compete" to gain dominance in space. This could work by having time limits in which you should reach your goal. (A little like the space race)

Later on, you might have an anomaly or something and you should set up a base for research, or something like that. (Maybe have it so that the player cannot do this mission with low tech for various reasons)

Than, there could be some doomsday scenario where you must save kerbalkind or something like that.

Finally, here could be multiple endings to the story mode, depending on the player's milestones, tech and decisions.

What are your thoughts?

I feel like this is a gamemode I would play quite a lot. I've never been a fan of career/science mode because I feel like its weighed down by tedious activities that you have to play through to get to the good stuff, and it lacks any ultimate end goal.

This is sort of what the Mission Builder has done in the MH DLC already, though admittedly the missions are usually quite modest in complexity (get to point A in time X sort of thing).

On 3/9/2019 at 12:34 PM, Rover 6428 said:

I think it would be very nice if SQUAD decided to implement some sort of story mode in the later versions. It maybe shouldn't be something compulsory, but rather maybe make the world have a main quest, that you can complete at your own pace (unless there is a special mission.) The story could look like this:

First, you have to "compete" to gain dominance in space. This could work by having time limits in which you should reach your goal. (A little like the space race)

Later on, you might have an anomaly or something and you should set up a base for research, or something like that. (Maybe have it so that the player cannot do this mission with low tech for various reasons)

Than, there could be some doomsday scenario where you must save kerbalkind or something like that.

Finally, here could be multiple endings to the story mode, depending on the player's milestones, tech and decisions.

What are your thoughts?

I've been asking for them to do something like this since before 1.0.  Career mode is in serious need of help, and among many other other ways it could be improved, giving you some kind of motivation to go take surface gravity readings at location 3QxsZZm-blablabla, even if it's just some silly Easter egg, would already make grinding through all those silly contracts a lot less tedious. I personally like the idea of finding alien (human, even!) artifacts at some of those locations, which might give you some kind of a tech bonus (like access to a single part from up the tech tree) if you excavate them and return them to Kerbin. In the end, a chain of clues and ever more powerful and difficult-to-recover artifacts could lead you to the capability for interstellar travel, which you could ultimately use to visit the great new solar system they're making for KSP 2.0! Yeah, I know. Not holding my breath....

1 minute ago, herbal space program said:

I've been asking for them to do something like this since before 1.0.  Career mode is in serious need of help, and among many other other ways it could be improved, giving you some kind of motivation to go take surface gravity readings at location 3QxsZZm-blablabla, even if it's just some silly Easter egg, would already make grinding through all those silly contracts a lot less tedious. I personally like the idea of finding alien (human, even!) artifacts at some of those locations, which might give you some kind of a tech bonus (like access to a single part from up the tech tree) if you excavate them and return them to Kerbin. In the end, a chain of clues and ever more powerful and difficult-to-recover artifacts could lead you to the capability for interstellar travel, which you could ultimately use to visit the great new solar system they're making for KSP 2.0! Yeah, I know. Not holding my breath....

Or you could have to "Escape" Kerbin before it's imminent demise (Possibly through those artifacts) and you would need to set up base on another planet?

1 hour ago, herbal space program said:

I personally like the idea of finding alien (human, even!) artifacts at some of those locations, which might give you some kind of a tech bonus (like access to a single part from up the tech tree) if you excavate them and return them to Kerbin. In the end, a chain of clues and ever more powerful and difficult-to-recover artifacts could lead you to the capability for interstellar travel, which you could ultimately use to visit the great new solar system they're making for KSP 2.0! Yeah, I know. Not holding my breath....

That would be really cool!

18 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

Or you could have to "Escape" Kerbin before it's imminent demise (Possibly through those artifacts) and you would need to set up base on another planet?

Honestly, you have a good idea, but I would like to see a "Easter egg" but when you idea happens (I.E. Kerbin demise) that "Easter egg" leads you on a wild goose case to find a safe environment (Like duna).

If the engine is good enough, there is a way to terraform a planet to make it habitable. (You could just land on laythe, but it is still an option).  

18 hours ago, herbal space program said:

If we included that with @Rover 6428, and mine, then if you choose to land on laythe, you will find what you are talking about.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.