[1.4.5/1.6.1]Remote Joystick

AST_SIL_834

This mod allows you to use your Android device to remotely control a vessel in KSP.

Download
(including both the mod and the android app)
- Github 
- SpaceDock

Install
- Drag the RemoteJoystick folder into your GameData Folder
- Install the .apk file on your android device

Use
- Make sure your PC and android device are connected with the same local area network.
- When you fly a vessel, the mod icon will appear. Right click it to start the server. The icon will then turn yellow.
- Run the android app, enter the local ip of your PC, click the Connect button. The ingame icon will turn green if the connection is successful.Dkvwoxx.png
- Enjoy.

Spoiler

Explanations about settings

Input curve factor: If set to 0, the output to vessel's control will be exactly same as input. If set to 1, the output will be the same as input only when input is small. As input increases, the output increases slower.

Input smooth factor:  If set to 0, the output will response immediately when input changes. If set to 1, the output will be smooth and delayed. 

Note that you should always use the corresponding android app version with the mod. If you are going to update the mod, you should also update the android app.

Screenshot

4o9BzDh.jpg

Source
- Mod
- Android app
All contents are under the MIT License.

Network Usage
This mod contacts with the Android app using socket.
The data from Android device to PC only includs joystick positions, steering, throttle and action groups, encoded to a 8Byte data, sent 20times/sec.
The data from PC to Android device only includs vessel's velocity, rotation, longitude and latitude, encoded to a 28Byte data, sent 20 times/sec.

Spoiler

Changelog

v0.4 for KSP 1.6.1
2019-03-17

• Improved layout
  • Settings panel
  • Adjustable input smooth and curve
  • Adjustable unit(m, feet, m/s, km/h, mph)
  • Switch between navball and nav-screen
  • Abort, map and timewarp buttons.

Todo
√ UI scale for different resolutions
√ Add longitude and latitude and altitude display
√ Add velocity indicator on navball
- Add target indicator on navball
- Switch SAS mode
- Switch to docking mode
√ Timewarp
√ Map view toggle

suggestions are welcomed

Edited by AST_SIL_834

Welcome to the forums AST!   This is a really cool idea! 

Note though, we'll need you to select a license for the mod.  So please choose one, and edit your post.   Thanks. 

Few suggestions:

1) With the upcoming altitude indicator revamp, maybe adding that in the dead space to the top left would be cool.   This would help with flying planes.

2) Adding the various indicators on the navball, like prograde, etc.

3) Being able to swap modes, into a docking mode, but not like the goofy stock one that exists.   So you hit a button, and instead of emulating WASD, it would emulate IJKL. 

4) Being able to select the various SAS modes from within the App. 

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Welcome to the forums AST!   This is a really cool idea! 

Note though, we'll need you to select a license for the mod.  So please choose one, and edit your post.   Thanks. 

Few suggestions:

1) With the upcoming altitude indicator revamp, maybe adding that in the dead space to the top left would be cool.   This would help with flying planes.

2) Adding the various indicators on the navball, like prograde, etc.

3) Being able to swap modes, into a docking mode, but not like the goofy stock one that exists.   So you hit a button, and instead of emulating WASD, it would emulate IJKL. 

4) Being able to select the various SAS modes from within the App. 

Thanks for your reply!

I'm gonna add these to my todo list

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:22 PM, AST_SIL_834 said:

This mod allows you to use your Android device to remotely control a vessel in KSP.

So I went to kerbin orbit and back using just my phone! I like the mod but a better looking UI and more things added like time warping and a button to toggle map view on/off would be nice if you could add them. @AST_SIL_834

I'm thinking it would look like this (maybe make some buttons slightly smaller for more room?):

zkkpNVz.png

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

51 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

So I went to kerbin orbit and back using just my phone! I like the mod but a better looking UI and more things added like time warping and a button to toggle map view on/off would be nice if you could add them. @AST_SIL_834

I'm thinking it would look like this (maybe make some buttons slightly smaller for more room?):

zkkpNVz.png

Great job! I'm working on UI improvement to adapt to different screen resolution.

1 hour ago, AST_SIL_834 said:

Great job! I'm working on UI improvement to adapt to different screen resolution.

Thanks! Will you also add at least some of the features I think you should like map view toggle and maybe timewarp? Also, great work so far!

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

1 hour ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Also, when is the next update coming out? I'm excited to see what it adds.

There will be improvements on art style and several new features(according to suggestions). 

It's a lot of work to do and it's hard to say how long it will take to finish. Maybe next Monday.

v0.4 for KSP 1.6.1

Changes

• Improved layout
  • Settings panel

Input curve factor: If set to 0, the output to vessel's control will be exactly same as input. If set to 1, the output will be the same as input only when input is small. As input increases, the output increases slower.

Input smooth factor:  If set to 0, the output will response immediately when input changes. If set to 1, the output will be smooth and delayed. 

csf6Dft.jpg

sIxYt2W.jpg

20 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Can you put the mobile app on the play store or something, because for the love of god, I cannot make it work?

Could you tell me exactly what problem you got? I need more information to give you support.

Edited by AST_SIL_834

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 11:17 AM, AST_SIL_834 said:

v0.4 for KSP 1.6.1

Changes

• Improved layout
  • Settings panel

Input curve factor: If set to 0, the output to vessel's control will be exactly same as input. If set to 1, the output will be the same as input only when input is small. As input increases, the output increases slower.

csf6Dft.jpg

sIxYt2W.jpg

Thanks for making a new update with the changes I wanted! Now I can go to the mun and back with my phone (or at least try)

On 3/18/2019 at 12:24 PM, AST_SIL_834 said:

Could you tell me exactly what problem you got? I need more information to give you support.

I just dont know where to put it. I tryed in some places (I cant remember where), and it didnt work.

you got specs for your network packet data structures so people can design their own client side (for example raspi or esp8266/esp32) as an alternate to the droid app (i got an old android tablet but its so old i doubt it would work). 

Edited by Nuke

On 3/11/2019 at 2:26 AM, klgraham1013 said:

Joysticks finally back on Linux!

Community member develops cross-platform remote input layer, releases it for free and provides support.

Professional game development company fails utterly to support even local input devices, blames third-party engine and calls it a day.

This mod is indeed awesome. :)
It's just a shame we need mods to work around Squad's ineptitude and/or apathy. :(

22 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

Mods make KSP worth playing.

Yes they do, I'd have given up on the game long ago without them. The only reason I update the game at all now is new mod releases.

Mods adding missing functionality is awesome, it's been awesome since day-one.
Mods fixing new idiotic regressions in the stock game 6+ years of development in is ridiculous. Regressions are Squads job.

It's been shown repeatedly that fixing input support is quite possible, and there are now 3 mods that I am aware of which do so.
The excuse that it is too difficult is long dead. The excuse that it would take longer than waiting for unity to fix it is long dead. All that remains is Squad being either too lazy or too incompetent - and I find the latter pretty unconvincing.

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.