Triop's Adventures

Triop

16 minutes ago, Lisias said:

Had you ever ceased to be one? Congrats! I never did!

True that, keep learning new stuff every day.

Meanwhile, Bill's little project is killing my test pilots...

I'd like to have a word with him about what he's up to, but my translator has not returned yet from her weekend on Ibiza.... :mellow:

Edited by Triop

57 minutes ago, Triop said:

Meanwhile, Bill's little project is killing my test pilots...

I've taken to setting my Roll authority to uncomfortably low values. It eventually gets to feeling graceful instead of sluggish, and it's much easier to point the plane exactly where you want it. If I get too close to the ground in a hard, flat turn, I use the rudder to get my nose above the horizon instead of trying to roll out of it and pull up.

1 minute ago, FleshJeb said:

I've taken to setting my Roll authority to uncomfortably low values. It eventually gets to feeling graceful instead of sluggish, and it's much easier to point the plane exactly where you want it. If I get too close to the ground in a hard, flat turn, I use the rudder to get my nose above the horizon instead of trying to roll out of it and pull up.

I just put the blue ball thingy into the bigger yellow ball thingy and hope for the best.... ^_^

What are you up to Bill . . .

14 minutes ago, NBDesigns said:

im a noob at adding pictures how do you imbed the gif or photo to the post

Upload to Imgur and copy the BBCode, then paste it in the comment.

I8o1J6x.png

Pictures from the internet: Rightclick on the picture and copy the image location.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQAFbeNXk5T6p57Dai71nK

Let me know if it works. &)

Edited by Triop

Bob just stormed into my office, sigh...

He starts screaming at me in Kerbal (Learn English you little green git!) and showed me this video :

Seems like Bill tried to kill Bob, o dear...

I told Bob as a punishment I would sent Bill in a orbit around the sun, but . . .

BOB WANTS REVENGE: KILL BILL !

Sigh....Bob wants to duel with Bill...Using propellor aircraft and BDA....

AND I SAID YES !

giphy.gif

TBK . . .

But first, I want to make a replica of the Wilesco D-6 :

ZdHuZuP.jpg

Won't be easy, using pistons and servos, I'm still not a fan off the new parts, I prefere the robotics mod ones tbh.

I have this model myself, great to see kids reaction when I show them how it works. ^_^

Edited by Triop

A small rant:

The hate I get on other media is unbelievable, people keep saying " it's Kerbal SPACE program ! " and keep voting me down.

Why ?

I just don't like sitting in a space can, timewarping myself to a planet using a lot of mods because "I can't go there without mods".

I don't care what other people do in the game, why do they ?

6 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

I love the cab on that thing. Mine always end up looking like crap.

Have you considered mounting the Claw on a piston?

That might work, or a crane, there is some room for it I guess.

Did you see the size of the claw ? it looks HUGE ! :confused:

Edited by Triop

33 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

Build a bigger truck. ;)

I thought the truck was already huge ! :lol:

The front seats could fit 6 Kerbals in a row without the claw, KSP, I want moarrr smaller parts....Or bigger Kerbals.

Progress on my steam engine...slowww....

BQ7VAO1.png

Update on my rant:

Somebody told me some people are not happy with Breaking Ground being a DLC, and they are taking it out on people who have the DLC.

Makes sence, childish, but it makes sence...

A quote:

"Yup. Because for them, a Community that develop numerous mods is better than having a united DLC where you know it will work.

Community is being fragmenting heavily TBH."

giphy.gif

Edited by Triop

Man, ya that sucks that the other parts of the community are not liking that your not in “space” I think this game is about creativity and how those create. 

I personally play the game as a plane builder and try out my little ideas and appreciate all the creativity you and others have in sharing what you do.

:prograde: 

14 hours ago, NBDesigns said:

Man, ya that sucks that the other parts of the community are not liking that your not in “space” I think this game is about creativity and how those create. 

I personally play the game as a plane builder and try out my little ideas and appreciate all the creativity you and others have in sharing what you do.

:prograde: 

All I did was ptt up a challenge on Reddit: "Design a steam engine."

The comments where so bad Reddit removed the whole post...Absurd.

But whatever, it's a new day. &)

Still working on my Wilesco steam engine, working on the pipes now.

Testing the boiler. :lol:

Qse8C2P.png

6bHkvAr.png

I use small strut girders with 2 seismic accelerometers for the pipes, I think it looks ok.

TBC

16 minutes ago, Triop said:

Testing the boiler.

Steam engine, secretly powered by fuel cells. :D It looks really good, and I love how you did the pipe. The fact that you're powering the flywheel and not the piston makes my eye twitch though. :D

If you need another reference, I've sat and stared at this for many hours in real life. Photo is linked to some dude's Flickr, with history and specifications listed.

Allis Chalmers Steam Engine

25 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

The fact that you're powering the flywheel and not the piston makes my eye twitch though.

Glad someone noticed, I'm working on that, did I already say I hate KAL-1000 ? :/ Don't know if it would be possible to make it piston driven, tips are welcome.

I am using the fueltank and a large fuelcell (it's on the bottom, I'll show it later) to generate power, the 3 Z-200's on the piston are my powersource.

I'm almost done, some tweaking is still to be done, but I'm happy with the results so far.

It runs pretty smooth and can be run at 100% without shaking too much, but in my defence, the wilesco D-6 will shake off your table irl if not bolted onto something.

I'll do a test run with clambs later, video will follow. &)

Djeez, I've never typed so much before.... :sticktongue:

0hxoYHP.png

pz2sF6Y.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

32 minutes ago, Triop said:

Don't know if it would be possible to make it piston driven, tips are welcome.

• Your keyframes should look exactly like a sine wave. You probably want to find the longest and shortest extensions of the piston and extrapolate from there. Just run the flywheel rotor at a really slow speed while having the right-click menu for the piston open. You probably want at least 4 keyframes: mid, long, mid, short.
  • I think your flywheel is relatively light. Perhaps a second layer of gold plate, or some ore tanks on the inner circumference?
  • Note that mine has the piston driving horizontally, with an additional hinge and connecting rod going to the wheel.
  • Mine has a counterweight on the back side of the flywheel (white arc over window) to balance the weight of the piston attachment point. You might want to rip the wheel off and balance the CoM right through the rotation axis.
36 minutes ago, Triop said:

am using the fueltank and a large fuelcell

That Whiplash in the firebox is an inspired choice. Are you also running a Juno in the smokestack? Put together, that's 6 EC/s, and I think the piston only uses 8 EC/s max.

38 minutes ago, Triop said:

Djeez, I've never typed so much before.... :sticktongue:

That's because you're a filthy spammer. :D :sticktongue:

2 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

or some ore tanks on the inner circumference?

I'm working on your list, this counterweight idea works great, it's very stable, still rotor motor powered though.

EWpB8TB.png

2 hours ago, FleshJeb said:

Are you also running a Juno in the smokestack?

That's a J-404 Panther :cool:

The whiplash is set at 25% to prevent a huge flame coming out of the furnace.

Edited by Triop

26 minutes ago, Triop said:

I'm working on your list, this counterweight idea works great

AWESOME :D I was hoping it would.

26 minutes ago, Triop said:

The whiplash is set at 25% to prevent a huge flame coming out of the furnace.

Who are you, and what have you done with Tri0p?!? :rofl:

The Panther is 3 EC/s dry and 5 EC/s wet. The Whiplash is 5. You could run the wheel at half-throttle.

I was wrong about it being a perfect sine wave. I forgot about the geometry of the piston. The piston at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions will be longer than just the average of the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. You can temporarily drive the wheel with a servo to read the piston extensions at 0, 90, 180, 270 degrees.

I made up some dimensions and drafted it in AutoCAD. The keyframe graph will more closely resemble the below. Note that the dots in the middle (38.5649) are slightly above the midpont (37.5).

xhR3FXI.png

Edited by FleshJeb

@FleshJeb If you like I can give you my Wilesco steam engine so you can tune it yourself, the biggest problem I have with KAL-1000 is timing, all my waves are always runing out off sinc. :wacko:

tbh, I just can't get a grip on KAL-1000, I understand how it works, but its so restricted and hard to fine tune.

Edited by Triop

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.