Lowest Mass To Duna and Back Challenge

Hello, I am Johnster Space Program and today I present to you my new challenge, lowest mass to duna and back!

The challenge requires you to go to duna and back (easy enough) but with the lowest mass rocket possible!

This is my first time making a challenge like this, so if I should change anything, tell me.

Requirements/Rules:

- All Participants Must Show Either Photo or Video (YouTube) Evidence (Including VAB Total Vessel Weight)

- No Mods Allowed (Except for KER)

- Maximum Vessel Weight Is 150 tons

- Refueling IS Allowed, As Long As Total Refueler and Other Rocket Mass is 150 tons or less combined

- Due to Request, Command Seats Are Now Allowed!

- Only VAB and SPH, but you must somehow launch your SPH Vehicle on The Launchpad, Not Runway. Wings Are Allowed

- Pods and Chairs Have Separate Winner Categories Now

- No Cheating (No Cheat Menu, Infinite Fuel, Etc.)

How Scoring Works:

- For Every 1 Ton Less Than 150 Tons: +5 points

- Getting To Duna and Back: +150 points

- Lowest Mass Contender: +25 points

- Ike Landing Bonus: +40 points

Participants (In Order):

@mrhexed

@Aeroboi

@Mythical Donuts 

@Kergarin

@Johnster_Space_Program

@GRS

@Martian Emigrant

@astrobond 

@herbal space program

@sevenperforce

@jinnantonix 

@A Random Kerbonaut

Winners for Command Pods (Highest To Lowest Points):

@Kergarin: 5.8 tons: 936 Points

@IncongruousGoat: 11.6 tons: 842 Points

Winners for Command Seats (Highest To Lowest Points):

@astrobond: 3.95 tons: 948 Points

@GRS: 26.2 tons: 929 Points

For Everyone That Has Successfully Completed The Challenge And Is A Winner, You Will Be Awarded This Badge By Me:

fOTVv1n.png

Have Fun, And Good Luck!

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

36 minutes ago, Kergarin said:

Interesting challenge.

You might want to specify if command seats are allowed or only closed pods. This changes minimum weight a lot :wink:

ok, only pods are allowed and should I add you to the list as well of participants?

24 minutes ago, Laie said:

Repost, 22 tons to Duna and back:

But I've been using Mechjeb, so it doesn't count.

good, but sorry it doesn't count, KER is allowed though...

1 hour ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

ok, only pods are allowed and should I add you to the list as well of participants?

good, but sorry it doesn't count, KER is allowed though...

ION engines allowed? Wings, sph, runway or only VAB. Any or either way I participate.

Edited by Aeroboi

To get the ball rolling, here's a submission I threw together in an evening (11.6 tons, Duna and back):

https://imgur.com/a/WbqLLhA

You can tell I threw it together hastily because of the several stupid mistakes I made (like forgetting about controlling from docking ports, and forgetting about partial vs. full pilot control), as well as the overall low quality of my launch vehicle, and the whole craft. I made little effort to optimize this beyond the obvious stuff, and it's definitely possible to do better than this. I'm just trying to set the bar for ultra-low-mass submissions.

I do think, however, that command chairs should be allowed. It makes the challenge so much more fun, and allows for things like <5 ton submissions. Which are always fun.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

5 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

To get the ball rolling, here's a submission I threw together in an evening (11.6 tons, Duna and back):

https://imgur.com/a/WbqLLhA

You can tell I threw it together hastily because of the several stupid mistakes I made (like forgetting about controlling from docking ports, and forgetting about partial vs. full pilot control), as well as the overall low quality of my launch vehicle, and the whole craft. I made little effort to optimize this beyond the obvious stuff, and it's definitely possible to do better than this. I'm just trying to set the bar for ultra-low-mass submissions.

I do think, however, that command chairs should be allowed. It makes the challenge so much more fun, and allows for things like <5 ton submissions. Which are always fun.

Good Job! You Get This Badge For Completing The Challenge, you get 867 points! Also I will allow seats now. 

fOTVv1n.png

3 hours ago, Mythical Donuts said:

I’ll participate!

great!

Guess i'll come, i got Trajectories (could just shut it down), Nereid FF (won't give extra info, just giving Badges to Kerbals), KER, Hyperedit (no worries, i won't be using it if its unnecessary...), tell me what's fine...

Edited by GRS

3 hours ago, GRS said:

Guess i'll come, i got Trajectories (could just shut it down), Nereid FF (won't give extra info, just giving Badges to Kerbals), KER, Hyperedit (no worries, i won't be using it if its unnecessary...), tell me what's fine...

ok, as long as the only active mod being used is KER

1 hour ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey all.

Refuelling allowed means IRSU?

ME

yes, that's what it means

time to add you to the participants

3 hours ago, Martian Emigrant said:

Thanks, I already have an SSTO that can do the trip.

I would also like another ruling.

No chair. Means none whatsoever (Sometime it's because spending months in a chair is cruel).

However I would like a chair lander on a clean slate attempt.

ME

If you want to do it like, that then im fine with it.

6 minutes ago, astrobond said:

Hi all :)

Ship ready to go.... 3.998 T (without Kerbal onboard)

I will try to do the challenge with it and make a video this Week-End if possible ;)

K2dmR3P.png

Fly safe with Valentina !

Great! Can't wait to see when it comes out. :)

48 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

Might I suggest separate categories for pods and chairs? Chairs are kind of unrealistic, and if you allow them as part of the same category as pods, you'll only get chairs.

ok, guess I will do that. now there is a separate category for winners using command pods and winners using command seats/chairs.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.