Lowest Mass To Duna and Back Challenge

@Johnster_Space_Program

I think i messed up a bit, turned all mods inactive but KER and FF (yet only KER that will really help, FF only make one Kerbal look better than the other by Badges), the Lander is powerful enough to also land on Ike after Duna, i'll probably drop Mothership to Minmus and probably Gilly too if i brought enough fuel...

Videos No(t yet), Screenshots yes, i'll include total mass, including Rayrigh himself (he Landed on Pol with bare EVA), currently figuring out can i land on Minmus...

12 minutes ago, GRS said:

@Johnster_Space_Program

Album here.

xeRyJQd.png

Capsule type.

Lands on : Duna, Ike, Pol.

I'll edit the album to make it better a little.

Possible points (Least) : 621+150+40=811 points

I think you should get extra points for that pol landing, how about 120 extra for that?

6 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

I think you should get extra points for that pol landing, how about 120 extra for that?

I'm okay with that.

This (currently 8.55t) command pod-based craft is still a WIP:

IMVmz2P.png

McWA6Z9.png

PMVAuut.png

The Rapier is a rather underpowered for a vertical takeoff at this mass,  so I need to use all those Sepratrons to get it going fast enough at the beginning, and I'm still having some difficulty getting it to orbit with enough dV on the Terrier to easily do the Duna landing/return. Once I get that all dialed in though, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do Ike as well. Also, if I could put it on wheels and take off horizontally instead I'm pretty sure I could dispense with all those Sepratrons, but if I understand correctly OP has stipulated a vertical takeoff for this challenge, so that's the way it will have to remain.

Edited by herbal space program

2 minutes ago, herbal space program said:

This (currently 8.55t) command pod-based craft is still a WIP:

IMVmz2P.png

McWA6Z9.png

PMVAuut.png

The Rapier is a rather underpowered for a vertical takeoff at this mass,  so I need to use all those Sepratrons to get it going fast enough at the beginning, and I'm still having some difficulty getting it to orbit with enough dV on the Terrier to easily do the Duna landing/return. Once I get that all dialed in though, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do Ike as well. Also, if I could put it on wheels and take off horizontally instead I'm pretty sure I could dispense with all those Sepratrons, but if I understand correctly OP has stipulated a vertical takeoff for this challenge, so that's the way it will have to remain.

Looks good so far. Cant wait to see how you do. 

On 3/13/2019 at 12:16 AM, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Great! Can't wait to see when it comes out.

1 hour 38mn of raw video for the full recorded mission, trying to make a 15mn max Youtube video.... i hope to put it online tomorrow :)

12 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Starting now at 5.794t :D

Good. Can't wait to see the video.

23 minutes ago, astrobond said:

Hi all :)

3.998 T. Ok for Duna and back in command chair xD (but not enough for Ike grrrr... )

Here is the video !

Fly safe with Valentina :)

Good job! Tommorow I will update the leaderboards and give you the badge.

3 hours ago, Kergarin said:

Recorded, surprised myself with something unexpected :cool:, cutted...

and now comes the hardest and most exhausting part of all... Finding music for the video :confused:

Kevin McLeod appears to be the de facto national anthem composer for KSP videos.

More helpfully: https://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/music.html and https://freepd.com/

But... if it's truly epic may I humbly suggest: http://freemusicarchive.org/music/Dexter_Britain/2018100594213006/01_The_Time_To_Run_Finale which I believe is able to be used if attributed for non-commercial videos

Hummm... Jebediah was really sad to not land on Ike on my last mission :(

So i made him a new optimized version of the Duna Light ship !

Less fuel, no docking ports, 2 more solar panels, more xenon... and a little less mass.

So here is a new optimized mission direct to Duna + Ike and back with a 3.955 T. ship !

( The last one for me on this challenge, i promise ;) )

Fly safe with Valentina ! :)

Edited by astrobond

4 hours ago, astrobond said:

Hummm... Jebediah was really sad to not land on Ike on my last mission :(

So i made him a new optimized version of the Duna Light ship !

Less fuel, no docking ports, 2 more solar panels, more xenon... and a little less mass.

So here is a new optimized mission direct to Duna + Ike and back with a 3.955 T. ship !

( The last one for me on this challenge, i promise ;) )

Fly safe with Valentina ! :)

Good job. Later today i will update your score.

Well, I was on my way home from this, with almost enough dV to do Ike, only to come here and discover I've been beaten by 2.5t :huh:.  I'm not even going to try to beat that,  but I'm still going to go back to the drawing board just for the sake of self-respect! Clearly I have a drag problem...

e0Zkp6T.png

Need to rest for a bit from Kerpollo, lets see if i can decrease mass, still go to Pol, and handled Duna and Ike, i need to get rid of that Pod, it appears like mah boi Simone (a brave genius Kerbal Pilot i made with Debug menu) is the only one who deserve to do this type of painful mission...

Edited by GRS

Question -- if one chooses the command pod version rather than the command seat version, must the pod itself land on Duna, or can you simply use a command seat for the landing and use a pod for the return?

Also, if you use a pod, is there a requirement that the pod itself land on Kerbin or can you bail out and chute down?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.