Happy Birthday Making History!

klesh

sFknxiO.jpg

So, here we are, a full 1 year since the release of KSP's first DLC!

• There are still several bugs specific to Making History that will probably never be fixed at this point, languishing away in the bugtracker for a year.
  • The Steam rating for Making History sits at 56%, a solidly failing grade.
  • Metacritic's user score is slightly better at 6.5/10, also a failing grade, but its only based on 4 scores.  Clearly no one is bothering to even review it.
  • The Making History mission forum is a ghostown, with no posts to people's mission threads in months and months.
  • Curseforge, KSP's official mission repository has, literally, 10 missions in it. Thats all. 10.

Do you think Private Division has learned any lessons?  What do you think they can do differently for the presumably upcoming "Serenity" DLC?  I had alot more written here, but upon rereading it I felt like it could be considered bashing even though it was simply facts. 

I love KSP and I would like it to have continued success.  Doing things the way that Making History was done is not the path to that success.

As someone who likes the DLC alot (Would rate it 9/10), i can see the difficulties of many people creating own missions...

The mission builder is a unforgiving tool, one must be really in to the basegame and know the mechanics blindly, and serious playtesting can take huge amounts of time.... which isn`t allways at hand...

Let`s see what the future brings, i bet SQUAD has some aces on the backhand.

Areas to improve grow with the game, people who are new to KSP might be completly overwhelmed by the nearly endless space provided by the software.

The opinion of the longtimeusers (So us actually) isn`t representative, just longtime experience.

I bought MH "to support Squad"...I wanted to see the team continue working and I was willing to throw $15 at it. 

• I never planned on using the Mission Creator - even if it was easy to use and bug free I don't think I'd ever open it. 
  • The parts had me excited but there were so many issues that it really soured my experience. Most parts are playable now, but the reputation damage is done and there are plenty of free mods that offer better options.

WRT future DLC - Squad is practically buried under feature requests. If anyone is bothering to read/compile them I'd say they know what the community wants.

13 minutes ago, Tyko said:

If anyone is bothering to read/compile them I'd say they know what the community wants. 

You'd hope so, but they delivered that useless mission builder a year ago with presumably the same information available.  :/

1 hour ago, klesh said:

You'd hope so, but they delivered that useless mission builder a year ago with presumably the same information available.  :/

I'm willing to cut Squad a bit of slack on its very first DLC - call it young developer hubris - "we know what you want better than you do and we'll surprise and delight you". 

They don't get a pass for how buggy it was, that's inexcusable, but for missing the mark on what players want? That's pretty common even with experienced companies (cough, Bethesda!)

I hope they've learned from MH though and IF a new DLC is in the works that it will reflect a greater attention to the desires of the community.

Edited by Tyko

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.