Johnster_Space_Program

Why Don't A Lot of People Use Making History?

So its been out offically for 1 year. The DLC of Making History. Besides Using The DLC parts, why does almost no one use making history for making missions now? Is it not good enough, or does it have too many problems?

• Like 1

I am actually growing another mission for the public, might be finished by the end of the year...

Have you done one yourself?

• Like 2

Personally, for my own play time, I just dont see the point.

I am a sandbox player, always been, do my own stories and missions. Was always good enough for me.

I believe I might look into it when I run out of things I still want to do in the game, but so far i dont see this point coming anytime soon.

• Like 5

I've just never had any interest in the mission builder.  I bought it for the parts.  I even installed a mod that prevents the mission builder assets from loading since I'll never use them.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@Geonovast link to that mod please?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I even installed a mod that prevents the mission builder assets from loading since I'll never use them.

Could you link to that, or maybe share via PM how you accomplished it? Edit:  Ooh, beat me to it! Thank you for linking.

For me, I only wanted the parts.  I feel like the entire premise of seeing a challenge forum or reddit being popular, and then formalizing challenges into mission that require tens of hours (or more) to make was a poor one from the start.   Why bother with all that mission coding when you can just type your idea out in plain english on the forums/reddit?  I never once participated in a community challenge; I've always found motivation for playing within myself.  I don't want to compete really.  Wait, I lied... I think I once did a fly to the island airfield and back challenge... something that was pre-Making History and didnt require someone doing it in a mission builder.

Edited by klesh

Posted (edited)

Making Less History has the unfortunate side effect of also disabling the alternate launch pads and the alternate Kerbal uniforms, which were two of the nicer aspects of Making History. ;.;

That said, the answer to original question seems pretty obvious. The Mission Builder is a feature that no asked for, that is completely cut off from the rest of the game, and is generally too complicated to work with.

Its lack of success is completely unsurprising. What is more surprising to me is how buggy and poorly thought-out many of the MH parts are. Many suffer from easily fixable drag issues (that have been reported on, with fixes, since about the time MH came out), some of the pods seem specialized to the point of being overly difficult to use outside of their intended purpose, and the best parts added to the game, engine plates, are also tied to a badly designed decoupler system that breaks many of the assumptions that KSP makes about how crafts and staging works.

The whole thing inspires very little confidence in the prospect of future DLCs.

Edited by DMagic
  • Like 6

I love MH.

I love the fact that you can select which launchpad you want to launch from right under the launch button. Also the fact that after so many years you could finally support Squad for a few extra dollars just to support them for the future of KSP.

But yes, I never used the mission builder and probably not going to anytime soon.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

So its been out offically for 1 year. The DLC of Making History. Besides Using The DLC parts, why does almost no one use making history for making missions now? Is it not good enough, or does it have too many problems?

The problem is, the Mission Builder was targeted towards the Reddit Challenge crowd and the one-off/one-shot nature thereof but it should have been targeted towards making Career Mode more interesting, dynamic, non-linear. That was a major missed shot and something that should have been openly consulted because of how great the divide is between these play modes.

The other major problem that Making History had was that it collided with Kerbal Konstructs and/or Kopernicus and interfered with gameplay involving either mods, and with Kerbin-replacing planet packs that explicitly did not want Squad's extra launch sites to appear (and the small issue of where they appear cannot be controlled).

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Kerbal Space Program is a sandbox game, right? Where the player is able to tackle their objective from many multiple angles using a massive catalogue of parts and contraptions to achieve many solutions to their own imposed goals.

Now introduce the Mission Editor and Missions... imposing strict limitations on the player to play within the boundaries of the imagination and competence of the mission creator in a much more linear fashion. Errr... I thought KSP was a sandbox game?

I think this is the predominant reason as to why the Mission Editor is almost unanimously unused. Its almost the antithesis of KSP's genre.

I think it's quite telling the most praised additions of MH are the VAB/SPH switcher and Launchpad Selector. These are not new gameplay modes, new parts or new fangled features in the most part. They are just well implemented, streamlined QoL additions that augment the gameplay we are accustomed to.

Edited by Poodmund
  • Like 6

What sucks is that Squad, or Private Division or whatever hired gun is making this game now has never acknowledged this misstep, and is seemingly making a new DLC called Serenity without askign the community what we want to have.  I hope they haven't presumed their way to another 56% rated DLC.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, klesh said:

What sucks is that Squad, or Private Division or whatever hired gun is making this game now has never acknowledged this misstep, and is seemingly making a new DLC called Serenity without askign the community what we want to have.  I hope they haven't presumed their way to another 56% rated DLC.

It's still Squad, from what I've heard Take2 has been pretty hands off so far when it comes to the actual development.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Poodmund said:

I think it's quite telling the most praised additions of MH are the VAB/SPH switcher and Launchpad Selector. 

Pood, the VAB/SPH switcher is standard in 1.4.  MH just brings the launchpad selector (and the alternate launch sites).

• Like 3