Forum Night Mode?

Chel

Hello. As we all know, the KSP Forums has a blue and white colour scheme. While this is alright, in low light environments (or at night), the forums can seem to be, well, a bit too bright, and can hurt your eyes. I'm proposing a forum night mode, where the white is simply switched to black. This can be toggled in Account Settings, and I believe would be very helpful for late night (or early morning if you're extreme) browsing

Thoughts on this idea?

- Cat

I recently made some changes to one of the versions for my DarkBlack theme thats on Userstyles.org. (I go by user Joe Shmoe)... I was hoping to do moar testing and possibly moar changes, so I havent updated Userstyles.org yet...

I use the Stylus extension on Firefox... Stylish, and a few others can be used if they accept raw CSS. I switched from Stylish to Stylus... Stylish has privacy issues, since the dev supposedly got in bed with some other company or something... i dont recall the details... Stylus is a fork of Stylish, by someone who didnt agree with the new "policies" of the Stylish dev.

I have the recent changes on my Github repo, tho, if anyone wants to test and give feedback:

https://github.com/StoneBlue/KSP-Forum-Dark-Theme/blob/master/KerbalForumDarkBlackStylishNoTagsNoStreamer.txt

Edited by Stone Blue

21 minutes ago, klesh said:

All this extra downloadable stuff is like saying use mods to make the game awesome when you want the game to be awesome on its own. 

There's no provision for the board to have skins put in place by TakeTwo?

I havent looked into it lately, but yes, the forum software is highly customizable, and a beautiful nice looking dark theme could very well be done...

Getting Squad to actually do it, is highly unlikely tho.
So, like the game itself, we either have to extra measures to make things work the way we want, or just deal with things as they are

Edited by Stone Blue

1 hour ago, klesh said:

There's no provision for the board to have skins put in place by TakeTwo?

Most forum engines have this option, and I would suspect this one does too.   But leaving the forum with one skin makes it much easier to trouble shoot, and prevents formatting issues when people make a post that looks fine in one skin, but gives users of another skin a migraine, which is something we try to avoid. 

When Squad switched to the IPS (Invision) forum software, they barely tweaked the stock "theme", which is what we have now...

If you want to see some nice examples of what can be done with this same exact software, you can use Google and search for Invision Community forum software, or take a look at some of TakeTwo's other community forums, specifically GTA:V and Red Dead Redemption. (Incidentally, both of which are in a dark theme :P )

In many cases, game community forums are *not* controlled or affiliated with the actual game developer, tho ... Such as XCOM, which is also a TakeTwo tiitle...

Heck, customized themes can even be purchased from Invision themselves...

But in any case, it seems Squad adding resources for maintaining/updating the forums, was seemingly *not* part of the TakeTwo takeover deal.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.