Advantages of using DX11?

JacobTheFoxx

I cant remember the specifics of Dx11 over Dx9... But I have been using Dx11 with KSP forever...
Since the Unity 2017 update in KSP 1.4.0, Dx11 needs to have Textures Unlimited plugin installed to fix issues the Unity udate caused.

Thank Electrocutor for the fix... Details in his thread OP here:

I beleive this also worx for forcing Dx12 on Windows 10, as well?.. vOv

• 2 months later...

@Kerenatus I've toyed with it off and on. Most recently right around the time 1.7.1 was released. I'm back on dx9. I didn't see any advantages, so it made the glitches that much more annoying. The biggest being the blue icons in the VAB. Even after I followed the troubleshooting tips for that I still had probably a dozen that didn't render correctly and the ones that did work were dim. I noticed the re-entry effects being mostly gone, but that was less of an problem to me than the VAB issues.

6 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

@Kerenatus I've toyed with it off and on. Most recently right around the time 1.7.1 was released. I'm back on dx9. I didn't see any advantages, so it made the glitches that much more annoying. The biggest being the blue icons in the VAB. Even after I followed the troubleshooting tips for that I still had probably a dozen that didn't render correctly and the ones that did work were dim. I noticed the re-entry effects being mostly gone, but that was less of an problem to me than the VAB issues.

guess i'll stick to DX9 then lol

I used DX11 way back when the x64 version was notoriously unstable due to Unity Engine issues, to save on memory. 

Mod it until it crashes, after all. Haven't used it since the x64 version became more stable. The glitches were annoying, though. 

dx11/gl will cache in vram so it doesn't constantly use system ram as a buffer. By caching part of the load on the vram system ram isn't as loaded which allows you to play the game in situations where otherwise you'd be system ram limited.
So it does not reduce ram usage, rather, it is smarter about where it stores everything.

In exchange you get graphical problems such as:
- missing/blue texture on all parts in the VAB/SPH parts list
- Texturing noise/grain/artifacts
- FX sometimes disappearing
- probably more

The parts list thing is fixed by installing Textures Unlimited, though Squad used an implementation that is.. squad-like, meaning there's no way as of yet to fix it in a way that isnt noticeable. Textures are back, but lighting is matte and dark in the partslist.

So yeah, take it or leave it. My Snarkiverse game runs on Dx9, and my JNSQ runs on Dx11, because only the JNSQ one is limited by my RAM.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.