What was the first thing you did when you bought KSP?

KerbolExplorer

Launched a bunch of stupid looking rockets straight up.  I didn't care if it was right, I thought it was cool and it was really fun staging stuff away.

Eventually I got brazen enough to crash into the Mun at a couple km/s.

Then I found the map mode, and things started to make the tiniest bit of sense.

6 hours ago, KerbolExplorer said:

So how about you what was the first thing you did when you bought the game?

Downloaded it and unzipped it.

Beyond that, I'm not sure.  It was nearly seven years ago, and I had been playing the demo before.

Hmm, when I bought the game it was much different than it is today (version 0.16).  I remember the connection joints were a lot weaker, which meant you had to use a lot of struts.  So I was trying to build a rocket that did not shake itself apart after launching. :D

[snip]

Anyways, I first just flew around in the Aeris, and just tried making my own planes. I remember my first career game, it didn't go so well.

I just love this game because of everything you can do in it.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted By Moderator.

26 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

And then promptly crashed into the launch tower. 

Nah.  By that point, I'd been playing long enough to know better.

(Said the guy who still screws up staging on simple crafts.)

2 minutes ago, razark said:

Nah.  By that point, I'd been playing long enough to know better.

(Said the guy who still screws up staging on simple crafts.)

Oh, no, that's what I did. Unzip, get running, build a wobbly rocket, poof into the tower. 

Four part rocket. Mk1 pod, parachute, decoupler, solid rocket booster. I named it "Baby Steps I." It worked, somehow.

In retrospect, I watched way too many KSP videos before buying it. It was the first game I ever bought and I was a bit nervous to ask my dad, so I researched every little thing about it, including every single tutorial, spoiler, etc.

It definitely prepared me for playing, but if I could back, I would almost go in with no knowledge at all. I say almost, because with that brick of a computer I'd never have gotten far without already knowing how to play... The "Baby Steps" mission took like 10 to 15 minutes with all the lag.

I jumped in the game completely blind, with no knowledge whatsoever about rocketry. Built an aircraft (without mirror symmetry and radial snap) The wings are misaligned, and on top of that, with no control surface whatsoever. Predictably, it never leaves the ground, and the unbalanced wings caused it to careen straight into hangar building before it blew up

I would pay a lot of money to see my first craft files again (for nostalgia reasons), and then pay a whole bunch more money to hide those craft forever (for noobish-shame reasons!)

I do recall playing the free demo-game though, and furiously scribbling altitude results on a notepad after each launch as I attempted to "science the potatoes" out of this game and improve my rockets!  :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.