What was the first thing you did when you bought KSP?

KerbolExplorer

I had already been playing the demo, so I took my existing (MASSIVELY over-engineered) Mun rocket and landed it on Minmus.

After that I made an ion powered probe and launched it haphazardly into interplanetary space. While messing around with my orbit I happened to get a lucky Jool encounter, so I captured into Jool orbit and did flybys of Vall and Laythe.

Edited by KevinW42

23 hours ago, overkill13 said:

I'm a little surprised that the obligatory, played through the tutorials and watched Scott Manley videos isn't on here yet.

I still haven't actually played most of the tutorials (I think I did like the first 2) and I didn't know Manley existed back then.

I tried the tutorial, which was mostly trying to tell me how to stabilize a tumbling capsule in orbit without S.A.S. and with only RCS thrusters (this was before the game had reaction-wheels, when those parts only function was to let you turn S.A.S. on.)  Gave up on that pretty quick.

I think the first thing I tried on my own was launching an ion-driven communication satellite into LKO.  The ion drive was so weak it couldn't circularize though, and my launch vehicle was both overbuilt and under powered.

I attached enough Kickbacks together to fill the entire VAB (no decouplers) and was confused when I didn't make orbit after flying straight up.  I then opted for a 3.75 m rocket with a space shuttle cockpit and went fast enough to reach escape velocity.  After that, I started a career and then watched a bunch of Scott Manley tutorial videos.

On 3/14/2019 at 3:36 PM, KerbolExplorer said:

So how about you what was the first thing you did when you bought the game?

The first thing I did was to do science. In this game, you gotta make the science first. Then when you get the science, you get the parts. Then when you get the parts, then you get to space.

i went straight to sandbox mode and built a crappy rocket that didn't make it out of the atmosphere, thought to myself "this games rubbish; positive reviews FOOL me [again]"...

...hundreds hours later i am stuck in the VAB again; i just got around to ore harvesting "rubbish game".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.