The Kerbin 1K Drag Race (needs Races! mod)

RACE #1

4dJIauZ.png

Jacke - Rocket Sled 5

Ok, 1st race done.

We had some issues, like some of you said, sometimes the time won't register (lol, too fast for the mod, wow :sticktongue:)

Also I couldn't put this monster on the brakes before start launch to film it, everytime I do that it would bounce and blow up my runway (this baby can't wait to go, so be it.).

WPIa6Om.png

Another issue is that I didn't tape @Jacke's fastest run, but you can see by the score in the video that he ran a 03.70 run, so I will keep that as the official time.

Next up: @NBDesigns

984QqeS.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

28 minutes ago, Triop said:

Some chutes would have been nice . . . :sticktongue:

Oh you're gonna love mine then..... No chutes whatsoever! or like.. way to bring the car back in one piece..... :mellow:

Would also be neat to see a maximum speed for each....

20 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Would also be neat to see a maximum speed for each....

You mean via F3 screen ?

Is that reliable ? Haven't checked, good idea.

I'll get back on that later, can't disturb the races now, but I might do a speed check on each.

RACE #3

Ultimate Steve - DA24

Wow, you are lucky @Ultimate Steve, first race: crashed fatally, second race: crashed fatelly, third race:

I did some more runs, but it seems your car needs more chutes, it kept crashing.

You are double lucky, cause to run you survived was also the fastest.

Loved the braking rocket though. &)

Next up: @Gapone - Kickbackster

qs5GpC8.png

Edited by Triop

Hehe. I managed to stop it on the runway during testing. I usually started the braking motor slightly before the finish, I think. Glad I survived though!

Oh, I see - I believe you forgot to trigger the brakes. The airbrakes and control surfaces play a huge role in stopping the vehicle.

3 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Hehe. I managed to stop it on the runway during testing. I usually started the braking motor slightly before the finish, I think. Glad I survived though!

Reviewing the video and I might have forgotten to set off the final stage, can you confirm this ?

Not that it matters for the outcome, it's a 03.58 car.

Nice run, 2nd place. &)

1: NBDesign - 03.48

2: Ultimate Steve - 03:58

3: Jacke - 03.70

Edited by Triop

1 minute ago, Triop said:

You mean F3 screen ?

Is that reliable ? Haven't checked, good idea. 

I'll get back on that later, can't disturb the races now, but I might do a speed check on each.

Yeah F3 screen. Not sure how reliable, but quite neat. For races 1 and 2, I saw a top speed of something around 400 m/s. Steve's was 414.6 m/s

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

Reviewing the video and I might have forgotten to set off the final stage, can you confirm this ?

No, I don't think the final stage mattered, but you did forget to activate the brakes, which include the control surface deploys at the back and the few airbrakes on the vehicle, that's probably it.

2 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

No, I don't think the final stage mattered, but you did forget to activate the brakes, which include the control surface deploys at the back and the few airbrakes on the vehicle, that's probably it.

Lol, I did, sorry.

Must have been the adrenaline rush :lol:

3 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

I love how it's just an SRB with wheels.

That was not the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this thing. :lol:

But will it break records ? ? ? :ph34r:

Edited by Triop

3 minutes ago, Triop said:

But will it break records ? ? ? :ph34r:

I dont... think so..... Not sure about TWR but I'd guess its pretty close to some of the others we've seen.

Gonna be neat to watch though.

RACE #4

Gapone - Kickbackster

31 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I dont... think so.....

Yes, definitely not a torpedo... First run was the best with 05.44, 2nd and 3th run where both 05.46.

Nice run @Gapone , keep your hopes up for not becoming last, 4 more to go. ^_^

1: NBDesign - 03.48

2: Ultimate Steve - 03:58

3: Jacke - 03.70

4: Gapone - 05.44

That's it for now, Finals tomorrow.

giphy.gif

Sorry Sam . . . ^_^

RACE #5

qzgy - Silver Bullit IV

On 3/17/2019 at 4:03 PM, qzgy said:

Usage - Point in direction of travel, stage, let it go. After flying off the end of the runway, pitch up a bit  Let the thing glide above the water until it stalls (below 200 m/s). When stalling, try to crash tail first.

I don't know what to do with this @qzgy, you sure are fast, but your landing system sucks.

The video I uploaded is the shortest one, even when I let your jet car slow down in the air, it takes minutes to slow down safe and even then I keep crashing, followed by my game crashing.

I don't want to disqualify you, so if you would like to send me a Silver Bullit with chutes, airbrakes, I'd be happy to give your car another pass.

Please don't misunderstand, I like your design, but I just want a fair competition.

What I've learned from this is that cars are not allowed to ever leave the ground.

Next up: @HB Stratos - Speedster

Khm58J3.png

TBC

Edited by Triop

45 minutes ago, Triop said:

I don't know what to do with this @qzgy, you sure are fast, but your landing system sucks.

The video I uploaded is the shortest one, even when I let your jet car slow down in the air, it takes minutes to slow down safe and even then I keep crashing, followed by my game crashing.

I don't want to disqualify you, so if you would like to send me a Silver Bullit with chutes, airbrakes, I'd be happy to give your car another pass.

Please don't misunderstand, I like your design, but I just want a fair competition.

Honestly, this is fair criticism. I focused purely on going fast without much consideration for stopping, especially stopping safely.

I'm happy actually that you didn't just straight up disqualify it immediately.

Definitely will go back and see if I can make it stop more easily.

54 minutes ago, Triop said:

What I've learned from this is that cars are not allowed to ever leave the ground.

Um... should I redo mine then? It does come safely to rest on land, but part of the braking system includes intentionally climbing up off the ground.

15 minutes ago, qzgy said:

I'm happy actually that you didn't just straight up disqualify it immediately.

giphy.gif

No problem dude, I'm not a bat person . . . ^_^

6 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Um... should I redo mine then? It does come safely to rest on land, but part of the braking system includes intentionally climbing up off the ground.

giphy.gif

TBC :lol:

Edited by Triop

9 minutes ago, Triop said:

No problem dude, I'm not a bat person . . . ^_^

Cool. Added a big chute to this, stops a lot more easily now. https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxqn03l7t0vvr2o/Silver Bullet VI.craft?dl=0

Still soars off the end of the runway, but at a much slower 200 m/s instead of 1000....

Just spam the stage button and enable brakes. Then back fairing should fly off, thats normal.

RACE #7

Lisias - TDC Mark 0

Not bad at all, nice escape system.  03.38

1: HB Stratos - 02.84

2: Lisias - 03.38

3: NBDesign - 03.48

4: Ultimate Steve - 03:58

5: Jacke - 03.70

6: Gapone - 05.44

TBC

Edited by Triop

7 hours ago, Lisias said:

I think I need... MOAR-BOOSTERS. :-)

As I found out when I tried to improve mine, you don't just need a few MOAR BOOSTERS to truly increase the speed, you need like at least double to triple or even MOAR BOOSTERS.  Increase in the mass and drag can easily overwhelm any increase in thrust, even when you control the amount of solid or liquid propellants.  Cutting the mass and drag as well is another approach, but it's easy to makes the vehicle track worse and crash more often.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.