[1.12.x] NOT RO - Kerbal Construction Time - Unrapid Planned Assembly

linuxgurugamer

2 hours ago, Tree_Hair_ said:

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but im having some issues with launching aircraft after recovery.

After i launch an airplane the first time, i cant re-launch it because ive exceeded a "size limit," even though i cant upgrade the runway any more. Even bigger aircraft dont have this problem, just the 1.

I am using RSS and all that jazz btw. edit: also RO 

After recovering the vessel, open it in edit mode and save changes. This should usually fix the wrong reported size. It's possible you might also need to move it closer to the SPH floor since KCT recovery tend to spawn it rather high up.

I'm having a problem with recovering vehicles  (1.8.1). When I launch a rocket, I can only recover to the SPH. The option to recover to VAB is not there. If I recover to SPH, the "next:"  countdown says it's recovering to VAB, but it recovers to SPH. When I go to SPH and Save Edits, then launch the vehicle, I can recover it to VAB.

I have a pretty large list of mods, I don't have KCT actively selected in CKAN, but I think it was installed by RP0. Is this a known/common issue, or is it more likely a mod conflict?

1 hour ago, Nes_bit said:

I'm having a problem with recovering vehicles  (1.8.1). When I launch a rocket, I can only recover to the SPH. The option to recover to VAB is not there. If I recover to SPH, the "next:"  countdown says it's recovering to VAB, but it recovers to SPH. When I go to SPH and Save Edits, then launch the vehicle, I can recover it to VAB.

I have a pretty large list of mods, I don't have KCT actively selected in CKAN, but I think it was installed by RP0. Is this a known/common issue, or is it more likely a mod conflict?

Since you are playing with RP0, that's not this mod, they have their own version.

@siimav, can you comment (he works on the RO version)

8 hours ago, Nes_bit said:

Recovering to VAB isn't supposed to be available until the 1980s materials science node is unlocked. This is done for both game balance and realism reasons - STS was the first piece of hardware that saw repeated reuse/refurbishment. I'm not sure how you managed to get it recovered to VAB though. Are there any repeatable steps to trigger that? 

1 hour ago, siimav said:

STS was the first piece of hardware that saw repeated reuse/refurbishment.

There was actually one Gemini which got reused, for a secret Air Force mission, but overall you are correct.

It's a nice idea, how difficult would it be to add that to my version?  If you can point me to the code, that's all I need, because I think I would change it slightly (ie: which node, and make it optional in the configs)

18 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

There was actually one Gemini which got reused, for a secret Air Force mission

True but both of those flights were suborbital tests.

24 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's a nice idea, how difficult would it be to add that to my version?  If you can point me to the code, that's all I need, because I think I would change it slightly (ie: which node, and make it optional in the configs)

I think this is what you're looking for. This setting most likely doesn't even have a field in the ingame KCT profile editor since I deemed it to be only useful for RP-1.

3 hours ago, siimav said:

I think this is what you're looking for. This setting most likely doesn't even have a field in the ingame KCT profile editor since I deemed it to be only useful for RP-1.

I think needing a certain level of technology is necessary for reusabilty, and adds a specific goal to get to

22 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I think needing a certain level of technology is necessary for reusabilty, and adds a specific goal to get to

If you do intend to use it in a mainstream KCT profile, you'll probably need to show the player some hint about why they can't use VAB recovery yet. That part is currently lacking in both forks of KCT.

58 minutes ago, siimav said:

If you do intend to use it in a mainstream KCT profile, you'll probably need to show the player some hint about why they can't use VAB recovery yet. That part is currently lacking in both forks of KCT.

yes.  I have to think about it, but it is a nice feature.  

13 hours ago, siimav said:

I'm not sure how you managed to get it recovered to VAB though. Are there any repeatable steps to trigger that? 

Yes, it's repeatable every flight.

First I launch, detach the probe core, and parachute to safety.

Then I  recover  to the SPH.

While recovering, it says Vessel Recovery VAB

But it recovers to the SPH

Inside the SPH I save edits

Then on the runway I can recover to VAB

It shows recovering but in red

After that, it's back in the VAB and I can reuse it without any problems.

On 2/6/2021 at 3:07 AM, Nes_bit said:

Then on the runway I can recover to VAB

Ah, that's because VAB recovery is allowed in the prelaunch state. This is useful in case you get an engine failure while still attached to the clamps and need to swap out an engine. I guess there should be some additional check based on whether the vessel was built in VAB or SPH but I'm not really sure how to implement that.

3 hours ago, IronHide4 said:

is there a way to make Stage Recovery recover the vessel to VAB or SPH storage instead of normal?  I use a lot of Falcon 9 rockets and have to rebuild the recovered boosters each time

Your best bet would be FMRS, it lets you jump back to staging events and manually land the spent stages if you like, then you could use KCT to recover to the VAB or SPH. It's more work to do it that way, than over the stage recovery way, but it's an option, in case you weren't aware of it.

3 hours ago, IronHide4 said:

Does FMRS work on 1.10.1, even if it says 1.9.X?  some mods still work and some don't so I just haven't tried yet.  CKAN still has it listed as 1.8.1

It's been working for me without issue. I use it for some of my multi-stage launches.

I know the mod isn't updated for 1.11.1, but if you're using it there recovering a craft will give you funds no matter if you recover to VAB, the SPH, or just normally. With VAB or SPH recovery this basically results in free funds. The normal recovery only causes free fund issues when combined with Scrapyard, but that's a different mod and not an issue here.

Did something change with the way recovered funds are given to the player in the recent version which renders old mods like this not working properly?

If I could add a simple suggestion for the next patch: add an option to see the vessel's launch mass in the build list. Currently we can attempt to roll out to a pad that is too light to launch it in order to see the weight without visiting the VAB/SPH but having it visible would be a nice QoL change and cut out some extra steps.