[1.12.x] NOT RO - Kerbal Construction Time - Unrapid Planned Assembly

linuxgurugamer

Just downloaded the latest update to KCT. You sir are amazing. That's 3 versions in very a short period of time. Thank you for your time and continued support of this mod.

KCT has become just about the most important mod for me. KSP is so much more fun for me using KCT. Everything happens in a near real world manner due to this mod. I use quite a few mods, but KCT is the most essential one for me.

Edited by GJNelson

18 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Not really, older version need to be done by hand.  It's the result of providing builds for 3 versions of KSP.  

CKAN sees the 1.4.0.69 because there is only one file for that version of KSP.  CKAN is not capable at this time of having the same mod having different files for each version of KSP.

However, the 1.6.1 version does work on 1.5.1 without any problems (from some testing I've done)

Ok I see. I will try the 1.6.1 version in my 1.5.1 game. :D 

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New release, 1.4.5.9

• Added dynamic window ids, determined at runtime.  Avoids duplicates which lead to strange errors

Please let me know if the build plans window  gets messed up again.

Also, I am looking into the old bug of launching a recovered plane (and editing it) puts it up on it's tail

Thus far, not seeing any issues with this build

@linuxgurugamer I'm afraid I may have spoken too soon, I think I've encountered another window based error. The tech window will no longer open if there's more than one project going on. I had one research project going, got enough science together to start another, and scheduled a launch pad upgrade, and now when I click the tech window to see how long each project will take, the window won't open.

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

@linuxgurugamer I'm afraid I may have spoken too soon, I think I've encountered another window based error. The tech window will no longer open if there's more than one project going on. I had one research project going, got enough science together to start another, and scheduled a launch pad upgrade, and now when I click the tech window to see how long each project will take, the window won't open.

Something new, I don't think I touched anything with that.

Get me your log file, please

48 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Something new, I don't think I touched anything with that.

Get me your log file, please

Having the same problem Tech button does not open a window even though techs are being researched. All other buttons produce window as expected.

I have the log from experiencing the issue right now and had just hopped over to see if it was a known issue or something I had missed: https://www.dropbox.com/s/loseq803yxx3hgp/output_log.txt?dl=0

I'll match you and raise you one.

On a new career game, the Tech button isn't appearing for me at all.  At least I have something to work with

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

@vardicd  On an unrelated matter, one of the contract packs you have installed has a syntax error and is generating lots of errors in your log.  If you could zip up the entire ContractPack directory and send it to me, I can figure out which one is the error and either how to fix it or at least tell you how to remove it.

Aaarrrggghhhhh !

This one is entirely on me.  I deleted some code which I thought was unnecessary while doing some cleanup.  I was wrong.

I would venture to guess that as of the current version, you haven't been able to open the Tech window at all.  You both didn't realize it because you were in the middle of a career, so you thought it had to do with multiple things being researched.

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy you gave me as much information as you did.  This was just one of those times where too much information was given.  And if something else happens, I want you to do the same.  It's not your job to decide if a piece of information is useless, better you send me too much information than too little.

As you can guess by now, I've fixed it, will be getting out a release shortly

New release, 1.4.5.10

• Fixed new bug created when cleaning up some code, the Tech window wasn't appearing.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I'll match you and raise you one.

On a new career game, the Tech button isn't appearing for me at all.  At least I have something to work with

@vardicd  On an unrelated matter, one of the contract packs you have installed has a syntax error and is generating lots of errors in your log.  If you could zip up the entire ContractPack directory and send it to me, I can figure out which one is the error and either how to fix it or at least tell you how to remove it.

The only contract pack I'm using is:

Which, I know is kind of out of date, he hasn't updated it since 1.4.x. I use it to help me track down the Easter eggs in the game, as it provides missions to go to each one. If you think the problem is bad enough to warrant removing the contract pack, I'll do so, but It doesn't seem to be having any real negative impact on my game play, I wasn't even aware of log errors. {I don't know how to read the log anyway?}

8 minutes ago, vardicd said:

The only contract pack I'm using is:

Which, I know is kind of out of date, he hasn't updated it since 1.4.x. I use it to help me track down the Easter eggs in the game, as it provides missions to go to each one. If you think the problem is bad enough to warrant removing the contract pack, I'll do so, but It doesn't seem to be having any real negative impact on my game play, I wasn't even aware of log errors. {I don't know how to read the log anyway?}

It throws a bunch of errors at a time, if you aren't seeing any issues, then leave it.  I'll take a look at it this evening to see if I can find the error

4 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It throws a bunch of errors at a time, if you aren't seeing any issues, then leave it.  I'll take a look at it this evening to see if I can find the error

Roger. Thanks. Also, just downloaded and tested the new version of KCT. So far, all windows are opening and displaying as expected. Will let you know if anything changes.

@linuxgurugamer

So I've narrowed down the cause of the issue I describe in this thread to this mod:

Basically, with KCT installed and active, there is a 10x+ increase in memory usage by KSP while in the VAB and 1-second interval lagging. Without it active / installed, this does not happen. I've tried using both the CKAN install and the Githhub release specifically for KSP 1.6.1 with the same result in both cases. I'll include the same logs I posted in that thread here:

Archive containing both logs in multiple situations

I'll also include a link to the imgur album showing the various results found in the MemGraph window showing that this is definitely not a garbage collection issue as GC is only running at most every 15 seconds while the lag / stuttering is at 1-second intervals:

https://imgur.com/a/8hDy9qW

I have tried using the heap adjustment feature of MemGraph, but even going up as far as 8GB did nothing for the stuttering and lag and only increased the time between GC runs.

I'm glad that you've adopted this and I really hope I'm able to figure this out with your help as this is one of the few mods I consider "required for play" whenever I load up a new KSP install.

Thanks

Edited by SpacedInvader

10 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Basically, with KCT installed and active, there is a 10x+ increase in memory usage by KSP while in the VAB and 1-second interval lagging. Without it active / installed, this does not happen. I've tried using both the CKAN install and the Githhub release specifically for KSP 1.6.1 with the same result in both cases. I'll include the same logs I posted in that thread here:

The file provided via CKAN is the same as the Github release for 1.6.1

What happens if you disable the mod in the settings?

Also, when you are in the editor, is the KCT window open or closed?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

12 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

With KCT installed, but disabled in settings, the memory Invader doesn't happen. As for the KCT window being open or closed, I would have to double-check but I am 90% sure it was open. I'm out of the house for a couple of hours, but I can check if closing the window  has any effect on memory consumption as soon as I get home.

1 minute ago, SpacedInvader said:

With KCT installed, but disabled in settings, the memory Invader doesn't happen. As for the KCT window being open or closed, I would have to double-check but I am 90% sure it was open. I'm out of the house for a couple of hours, but I can check if closing the window  has any effect on memory consumption as soon as I get home.

That actually is important, thanks

59 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

@linuxgurugamer

So I've narrowed down the cause of the issue I describe in this thread to this mod:

Archive containing both logs in multiple situations

I'll also include a link to the imgur album showing the various results found in the MemGraph window showing that this is definitely not a garbage collection issue as GC is only running at most every 15 seconds while the lag / stuttering is at 1-second intervals:

https://imgur.com/a/8hDy9qW

I have tried using the heap adjustment feature of MemGraph, but even going up as far as 8GB did nothing for the stuttering and lag and only increased the time between GC runs.

I'm glad that you've adopted this and I really hope I'm able to figure this out with your help as this is one of the few mods I consider "required for play" whenever I load up a new KSP install.

Thanks

50 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

31 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

I used to have a similar issue with KCT, when Scrapyard was installed along side it. it had to do with the scrapyard mod auto checking what ever ship I was building, with defaulted to 1 per second, way back when, to see if there were used parts to apply to the particular build, to make the build cheaper. The problem went away when I disabled the auto check feature of scrapyard, and just started training myself to click the manual apply at the end of a build before beginning construction on a craft. I don't know if your problem has any similarity to this, as I'm uncertain if you're using scrapyard along side KCT. I just thought I'd give you an idea of one other possibility to check.

Edited by vardicd

1 minute ago, vardicd said:

I used to have a similar issue with KCT, when Scrapyard was installed along side it. it had to do with the scrapyard mod auto checking what ever ship I was building, with defaulted to 1 per second, way back when, to see if there were used parts to apply to the particular build, to make the build cheaper. The problem went away when I disabled the auto check feature of scrapyard, and just started training myself to click the manual apply at the end of a build before beginning construction on a craft. I don't know if your problem has any similarity to this, as I'm uncertain if you're using scrapyard along side KCT. I just thought I'd give you an idea of one other possibility to check.

I don't currently have scrapyard installed.

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That actually is important, thanks

Ok, so I can confirm now that whether the KCT window is open or closed, the memory issue is unaffected. This also holds true for the build list, but I can reconfirm that disabling the mod through settings does stop the problem so essentially whenever I've got KCT active, its causing the 10x+ increase in memory usage while in the VAB.

Edited by SpacedInvader

@linuxgurugamer in response to your request for a minimal install test in my original thread, I've gone ahead and done a minimal install with just KCT, Magicore, and MemGraph. The results are essentially the same:

SjWbWyk.jpg

9fiJUda.jpg

The section under "Heap Min" is the VAB with KCT active in settings while the section under "Cur" is the VAB with KCT disabled in settings. I find it interesting that the same ~10x inflation is happening even though the overall scale of the heap is much lower. I really don't know whats going on under the hood with KCT, so I could be completely off base, but this leads me to believe something similar to another issue I've recently had to track down is in play here where assets are being loaded multiple times leading to essentially a flat multiplication of used memory.

Providing a couple of relevant links in case they can be of help:

EDIT: Sorry this is sort of an afterthought, but here are the logs from the minimal install test. They aren't separated out into different logs for different situations like the other logs, but I can go back and do so if needed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17iXJEYHMRXxWIT8Mnnqn8rk1vdEDkWgq

Edited by SpacedInvader

5 hours ago, SpacedInvader said:

Ok, so I can confirm now that whether the KCT window is open or closed, the memory issue is unaffected. This also holds true for the build list, but I can reconfirm that disabling the mod through settings does stop the problem so essentially whenever I've got KCT active, its causing the 10x+ increase in memory usage while in the VAB.

What about the stuttering?

And for simplicity's sake, let's only talk about your minimal install, so that way I'll know there is nothing else to ask questions about.

I'm testing on an install with about 25 mods installed.  I did see that the memory increased when going into the editor, looks like it went from about 2 meg to 16 meg on the stack.  I'm not concerned about that, it's reasonable that the mod uses memory, and  a 14 meg increase isn't that bad.

I'm not seeing stuttering, but I do see the increased garbage collection. The difference may be the computer, I see from the log that you are running an nVidia 960, but can you please describe your computer's specs?  Specifically cpu, memory, disk and whether it is a laptop or not ,

I have a two other computers available for testing, I'm going to want to select the one which most matches what you have

Edited by linuxgurugamer

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

What about the stuttering?

And for simplicity's sake, let's only talk about your minimal install, so that way I'll know there is nothing else to ask questions about.

I'm testing on an install with about 25 mods installed.  I did see that the memory increased when going into the editor, looks like it went from about 2 meg to 16 meg on the stack.  I'm not concerned about that, it's reasonable that the mod uses memory, and  a 14 meg increase isn't that bad.

I'm not seeing stuttering, but I do see the increased garbage collection. The difference may be the computer, I see from the log that you are running an nVidia 960, but can you please describe your computer's specs?  Specifically cpu, memory, disk and whether it is a laptop or not ,

I have a two other computers available for testing, I'm going to want to select the one which most matches what you have

Ok, focusing just on the minimal install, I am still getting stutters not associated with garbage collection, though they have reduced in magnitude (~.1 second vs. ~.25 - .5 second with the full install) and occur at ~3 second intervals instead of 1 second intervals. Open state of the KCT window does not have an effect on the stutters. I did have to apply the MemGraph heap increase to stop incessant GC passes as they were occurring at 6-8 second intervals. I find this more than a little confusing as my much, much larger main install never had GC occur more often than every 15 seconds, even without applying the heap increase. Disabling KCT eliminates all stutters not associated with garbage collection.

My system:

Win 7 x64
i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz
32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 960 w/ 4GB VRAM
KSP installed on a 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

As for the mod using memory, that is indeed reasonable, though it does seem that the stuttering I'm experiencing is directly proportional to the memory used by KCT. In my minimal install, I'm getting much reduced stuttering, though its still there, and the additional memory in the stack is around 3MB, while in my main install I'm getting .25 - .5 second stutters every 1 second and the KCT memory increase for that install is around 100MB. I imagine if I were to up the number of mods I used to something reasonable in the 25-50 range, I'd probably get stuttering of a magnitude / interval that falls somewhere between the two.

EDIT: @linuxgurugamer So it appears that I am actually getting these stutters even without KCT active, I'd just never noticed them until now. I just set up a macro to keep one of my arrow keys depressed so I could try to get a better idea of the time intervals since rotating the view in the VAB is the most noticeable way to view the stutters, and I noticed that I was getting them (although barely noticeable) even without the mod active. The increase in memory used by KCT seems to be exacerbating them to the point of being easily noticeable, even with the relatively small increase of the minimal test install. I have a feeling this is also what is happening for @JeromeCareebo (though I'm hoping he'll confirm this), as KCT is one mod we both have in common that can drastically increase memory usage. The issue though is why is this manifesting in this way. With 32GB of reasonably fast RAM and an older, yet still pretty powerful computer, I shouldn't be getting stutters with such a minimal install and that addition of ~100MB of stack memory shouldn't exacerbate things so much when I have about an 8GB memory overhead even after implementing the MemGraph hack. Do you have any ideas?

Edited by SpacedInvader

26 minutes ago, SpacedInvader said:

Ok, focusing just on the minimal install, I am still getting stutters not associated with garbage collection, though they have reduced in magnitude (~.1 second vs. ~.25 - .5 second with the full install) and occur at ~3 second intervals instead of 1 second intervals. Open state of the KCT window does not have an effect on the stutters. I did have to apply the MemGraph heap increase to stop incessant GC passes as they were occurring at 6-8 second intervals. I find this more than a little confusing as my much, much larger main install never had GC occur more often than every 15 seconds, even without applying the heap increase. Disabling KCT eliminates all stutters not associated with garbage collection.

My system:

Win 7 x64
i7 4770K @ 3.5GHz
32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
NVIDIA GTX 960 w/ 4GB VRAM
KSP installed on a 500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD

As for the mod using memory, that is indeed reasonable, though it does seem that the stuttering I'm experiencing is directly proportional to the memory used by KCT. In my minimal install, I'm getting much reduced stuttering, though its still there, and the additional memory in the stack is around 3MB, while in my main install I'm getting .25 - .5 second stutters every 1 second and the KCT memory increase for that install is around 100MB. I imagine if I were to up the number of mods I used to something reasonable in the 25-50 range, I'd probably get stuttering of a magnitude / interval that falls somewhere between the two.

EDIT: @linuxgurugamer So it appears that I am actually getting these stutters even without KCT active. I just set up a macro to keep one of my arrow keys depressed so I could try to get a better idea of the time intervals since rotating the view in the VAB is the most noticeable way to view the stutters, and I noticed that I was getting them (although barely noticeable) even without the mod active. The increase in memory used by KCT seems to be exacerbating them to the point of being easily noticeable, even with the relatively small increase of the minimal test install. I have a feeling this is also what is happening for @JeromeCareebo (though I'm hoping he'll confirm this), as KCT is one mod we both have in common that can drastically increase memory usage. The issue though is why is this manifesting in this way. With 32GB of reasonably fast RAM and an older, yet still pretty powerful computer, I shouldn't be getting stutters with such a minimal install and that addition of ~100MB of stack memory shouldn't exacerbate things so much when I have about an 8GB memory overhead even after implementing the MemGraph hack. Do you have any ideas?

I do, but this is going to take some investigation.

I believe you are correct in the memory; the extremely high garbage collection indicates that the code is rather wasteful.  I have been concentrating on a different bug (which I JUST fixed) which affected vessels/planes recovered via the SPH being rotated 90 degrees.  I'll be able to start looking  into this now, but it's probably going to take time

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I do, but this is going to take some investigation.

I believe you are correct in the memory; the extremely high garbage collection indicates that the code is rather wasteful.  I have been concentrating on a different bug (which I JUST fixed) which affected vessels/planes recovered via the SPH being rotated 90 degrees.  I'll be able to start looking  into this now, but it's probably going to take time

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help out such as testing. In the meantime, I'm going to be trying to track down the source of the underlying stutter since, now that I know its there, I can't really "unsee" it...