[1.12.x] NOT RO - Kerbal Construction Time - Unrapid Planned Assembly

linuxgurugamer

Hi @linuxgurugamer and fellow forum members, I have recently started experimenting a bit with this mod along with Crew R&R and other (mostly graphic) KSP addons. I have a problem though. The button used for saving construction plans, which I think was recently added to KCT, overlaps the stock buttons rather than being placed by their side:

2nlDjj0.png

I am playing v 1.6.1 of the game at 1920 x 1080 resolution, and I have installed v 1.4.6.1 of KCT via CKAN. Am I the only one with this issue? What might cause it? The button is fully functional, when I click on it, either of the buttons located below it are triggered to, which is annoying, and the wrong button scale/placement is also spoiling the cleanness of the game interface; I realize that you are currently dealing with an important performance issue regarding this mod, but I would be grateful if someone could help me with my problem :)

5 hours ago, gap said:

Hi @linuxgurugamer and fellow forum members, I have recently started experimenting a bit with this mod along with Crew R&R and other (mostly graphic) KSP addons. I have a problem though. The button used for saving construction plans, which I think was recently added to KCT, overlaps the stock buttons rather than being placed by their side:

2nlDjj0.png

I am playing v 1.6.1 of the game at 1920 x 1080 resolution, and I have installed v 1.4.6.1 of KCT via CKAN. Am I the only one with this issue? What might cause it? The button is fully functional, when I click on it, either of the buttons located below it are triggered to, which is annoying, and the wrong button scale/placement is also spoiling the cleanness of the game interface; I realize that you are currently dealing with an important performance issue regarding this mod, but I would be grateful if someone could help me with my problem :)

Are you using a 100% scale factor?  The difference in size seems that you might be running at 110% or 120%, if so, I'll need to make an adjustment

Edit:  I've added a scaling factor to the position of the button.  I haven't yet changed the button size for the different scales

Edited by linuxgurugamer

3 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Are you using a 100% scale factor?  The difference in size seems that you might be running at 110% or 120%, if so, I'll need to make an adjustment

Yes, I had set the UI scale to 130% because the text of the tutorial missions is barely readable at the original scale. After resetting it to 100% everything is in order. Silly me for not thinking about it, and thank you for assisting me!

I have one more question relative to the usage of this awesome mod. Let's say that I build a rocket, and when its construction is finished, before I launch/recover it, I want to modify it by adding or removing some small parts. Should I build a new rocket with the said characteristics from scratch (with waste of money and time)? There should be a way to modify an already built craft, but so far I couldn't find it. Any tips?

Edited by gap

@gap

I do that all the time.  If you click the craft in the kct queue (next to the name is a button) select 'edit craft'.  This will take you back into the VAB to make adjustments and recalculate your build time. 

Once your done with the adjustments, in the VAB you want to click 'save edits' button on the kct window rather then the launch button.  This will place the craft back in the queue with the new build time, and return you to the space center view.

When the construction is finished, the vessel is in storage.  There is a little button to the left of each vessel in storage, clicking that will bring up a menu which includes an edit function.

I'm adding scaling of the position and size to the button, will be there in next release

1 hour ago, gunt3rgam3r said:

@gap

I do that all the time.  If you click the craft in the kct queue (next to the name is a button) select 'edit craft'.  This will take you back into the VAB to make adjustments and recalculate your build time. 

Once your done with the adjustments, in the VAB you want to click 'save edits' button on the kct window rather then the launch button.  This will place the craft back in the queue with the new build time, and return you to the space center view.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

When the construction is finished, the vessel is in storage.  There is a little button to the left of each vessel in storage, clicking that will bring up a menu which includes an edit function.

Thank you for your help guys. As you can see from the screenshot below I have one rocket in my VAB storage, but no 'edit' button by its name:

zROjuBW.png

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

I'm adding scaling of the position and size to the button, will be there in next release

If it in not too much hassle for you, that would be a nice fix, thanks!

2 hours ago, gap said:

Thank you for your help guys. As you can see from the screenshot below I have one rocket in my VAB storage, but no 'edit' button by its name:

zROjuBW.png

What am I doing wrong? :confused:

You have to be outside the VAB or SPH for the edit button to appear, Click it from the Space center, and it will load you into the correct editor, with the ship to be edited loaded.

New beta: 1.4.6.2-beta2

• Optimized the stock toolbar button texture setting (for the flashing of the button)
  • Removed log spam: UpdateTechlistIconColor
  • Added whitelist of fuels for the "Fill Tanks" & "Fill Tanks and Launch"
  • Moved initialization of static GUI stuff into the loader
  • Fixed memory leak and cause of stuttering in the editor
  • Added automatic sizing and placement to Build Plans button for UI scaling
  • Added TextureScale.cs to support sizing & placement of the buttons

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/KCT/releases/tag/1.4.6.2

52 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

New beta: 1.4.6.2-beta2

• Optimized the stock toolbar button texture setting (for the flashing of the button)
  • Removed log spam: UpdateTechlistIconColor
  • Added whitelist of fuels for the "Fill Tanks" & "Fill Tanks and Launch"
  • Moved initialization of static GUI stuff into the loader
  • Fixed memory leak and cause of stuttering in the editor
  • Added automatic sizing and placement to Build Plans button for UI scaling
  • Added TextureScale.cs to support sizing & placement of the buttons

I'm still getting the stutters, but its performing much better now. That said, when I try to click the VAB button in the space center window, it folds up on itself like so:

JJdQTam.jpg

That is why its a beta.

Log file, please.

Also, have you tried disabling the little people animation in the vab?  That would also help your performance issue

I'm not seeing this error, I really need that log file.  Also, do you have any vessels in the queue or storage?

Edited by linuxgurugamer

6 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

That is why its a beta.

Log file, please.

Also, have you tried disabling the little people animation in the vab?  That would also help your performance issue

I'm not seeing this error, I really need that log file.  Also, do you have any vessels in the queue or storage?

Wait, you can disable the people?

As for a log, doing a fresh start now for the logs and yes, I've got one recently completed craft that needs a rollout and thats when I noticed the issue.

Just now, SpacedInvader said:

As for a log, doing a fresh start now for the logs and yes, I've got one recently completed craft that needs a rollout and thats when I noticed the issue.

Main Menu->Settings->General

2nd toggle from top  Show Space Center Crew

Beta 3

• Fixed for loop
  • Converted more foreach into for loops

Moving forward, I'm looking at each "foreach" statement.  For one-time runs (ie:  loading or saving data), I'm going to leave it alone.  But for those which get done multiple times, I'll be updating

There are some foreach loops which can't be changed, since they are looping over IEnumerable values,

I'm glad to hear that your performance is improved.  

1 hour ago, SpacedInvader said:

Yeah uh, what, you can disable the kerbals? :o:o

Main Menu->Settings->General

2nd toggle from top  Show Space Center Crew

I didn't know about that. never noticed that option

Edited by vardicd

10 hours ago, severedsolo said:

I believe that function doesn't work if you are already in the VAB - do it from the Space Centre scene.

8 hours ago, vardicd said:

You have to be outside the VAB or SPH for the edit button to appear, Click it from the Space center, and it will load you into the correct editor, with the ship to be edited loaded.

Thank you very much guys, I made as you said, and I was finally able to edit an already existing vessel. The modifications took longer than I would have expected for the simple addition of a couple of mystery goo containers, but lesser than it would have taken if I had to build everything from scratch, and since I had already built it, I was given back the money of the base-module (pod plus parachute and engine).

Summing up, it seems that the quickest option is still to assemble our vessels all at once, especially at the beginning of the career when we only build basic designs and even the addition/ removal of a tiny single part can make a big difference but, then again, I suppose that this can vary greatly, depending on the settings an formulas that we can customize to our liking in mod difficulty settings.

Are my conclusions correct?

6 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

5 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Probably due to my light mod load out, I didn't experience any stutter in the VAB but I am glad that you are supporting your mods so actively!

2 minutes ago, gap said:

Thank you very much guys, I made as you said, and I was finally able to edit an already existing vessel. The modifications took longer than I would have expected for the simple addition of a couple of mystery goo containers, but lesser than it would have taken if I had to build everything from scratch, and since I had already built it, I was given back the money of the base-module (pod plus parachute and engine).

Summing up, it seems that the quickest option is still to assemble our vessels all at once, especially at the beginning of the career when we only build basic designs and even the addition/ removal of a tiny single part can make a big difference but, then again, I suppose that this can vary greatly, depending on the settings an formulas that we can customize to our liking in mod difficulty settings.

Are my conclusions correct?

If I understand what you're saying correctly then I think yes, you can also look at using the scrapyard mod {if you're not already} which allows you to recover used parts and reuse them much cheaper than building them from scratch, stage recovery mod, which can recover dropped stages in flight if they have enough parachutes or a probe core and a fuel engine for powered landings {aka space x style} and the FMRS mod which creates a save when you drop stages during a launch, that you can them revert to after your craft is in orbit, and take manual control of those spent stages to land, or crash them yourself.

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

If I understand what you're saying correctly then I think yes, you can also look at using the scrapyard mod {if you're not already} which allows you to recover used parts and reuse them much cheaper than building them from scratch, stage recovery mod, which can recover dropped stages in flight if they have enough parachutes or a probe core and a fuel engine for powered landings {aka space x style}...

Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate them. I already knew those two mods and I think they are really cool; I am currently testing them in a configuration that includes them as well as KCT, KRASH and Oh Scrap!

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

...and the FMRS mod which creates a save when you drop stages during a launch, that you can them revert to after your craft is in orbit, and take manual control of those spent stages to land, or crash them yourself.

Conversely, FMRS is new to me. My current vessels are too simple to include stages of the complexity needed for safely driving them home, but I will make a mental note and I will test the latter mod as soon as I reach the technology level required for making the best out of it. On as side note: can I install/uninstall mods at wish during the career, or there are mods that are better enabled at the beginning at career start?

5 minutes ago, gap said:

Conversely, FMRS is new to me. My current vessels are too simple to include stages of the complexity needed for safely driving them home, but I will make a mental note and I will test the latter mod as soon as I reach the technology level required for making the best out of it. On as side note: can I install/uninstall mods at wish during the career, or there are mods that are better enabled at the beginning at career start?

I prefer using Stage Recovery, i have no desire to land my boosters manually.

It's usually not a great idea to remove mods, especially those which change the gameplay.  Visual mods are ok to add or remove at will

3 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

I prefer using Stage Recovery, i have no desire to land my boosters manually.

Probably off topic here, but I must admit that I still don't fully understand how Stage Recovery mod works. Aren't dropped stages burnt down in the atmosphere or, at best, lost in space orbits that would require the planning of expensive recovery missions?

11 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

It's usually not a great idea to remove mods, especially those which change the gameplay.  Visual mods are ok to add or remove at will

Roger that, it makes sense.

1 minute ago, gap said:

Probably off topic here, but I must admit that I still don't fully understand how Stage Recovery mod works. Aren't dropped stages burnt down in the atmosphere or, at best, lost in space orbits that would require the planning of expensive recovery missions?

Without getting too technical, Stage Recovery (SR) gets notified by the game just before the game removes the stage as debris in the atmosphere.  It then looks at the stage and calculates what the final speed would be after all chutes were deployed. It's an estimate, but fairly reasonable.  

It ONLY works on stages in the atmosphere, does not work for things in space

5 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Without getting too technical, Stage Recovery (SR) gets notified by the game just before the game removes the stage as debris in the atmosphere.  It then looks at the stage and calculates what the final speed would be after all chutes were deployed. It's an estimate, but fairly reasonable.  

It ONLY works on stages in the atmosphere, does not work for things in space

Okay, so If I got you correctly, if the atmosphere reentry speed of dropped stages is too high, they will get damaged or destroyed, and SR will take that damage into account. Is that correct?

Just now, gap said:

Okay, so If I got you correctly, if the atmosphere reentry speed of dropped stages is too high, they will get damaged or destroyed, and SR will take that damage into account. Is that correct?

Essentially, yes

2 hours ago, gap said:

Not really.  At the beginning of a career you only have a few parts available, also, building vessels costs money which you don't have a the beginning of a career