Kerbin Collaborative Space Station

3 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Does the Emergency Return Vehicle/Orbital ferry count as a module. By orbital ferry, that means it can take kerbals to other stations in an emergency.

I think that would be the job of the Kerbin-Orbit transport. Plus, we are not that far away for bringing them back not being an option

Edited by Rover 6428

I have reduced the scale of my project, to only include a Escape vehicle, with a capacity of 5 kerbals

It has a 2.5m docking port to attach to the station and a 1.25m port for general use.

I will post a link to it, and images soon.

Here is an image of what my fuel transfer/depot that would dock with the station to refuel return craft looks like so far:

It has a total of 4,051 m/s fully fueled  in LKO

noVo2N3.png

I might make some changes if necessary.

Its 17 tons so the only thing that could launch it would be the KerbalXM (I would use sky III but it only lifts 16 tons to lko)

On the KerbalXM it fits perfectly, with some room to spare (I should probably add solar panels):

0MEGtuV.png

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

1 hour ago, Rover 6428 said:

Ok, so I decided that I will try and plan the sequence and who will do what.

So far this is the plan:

1) Control (Administrative) module [N/a]

2) Habitation Module 1 [@Rover 6428]

(First crew arrives [@Barzon Kerman])

3) Power Array 1 [@MSA]

4) Laboratory Module [@Rover 6428 built, pilot [N/a]]

5) Science Package [N/a]

6) Docking Pier [N/a]

7) Communication Tower [N/a]

(Second Crew arrives [@Barzon Kerman])

(First Crew leaves [@Barzon Kerman])

8) Fuel Depot Module [@Johnster_Space_Program]

9) Cupola & EVA Modules [@Johnster_Space_Program built, pilot [N/a]]

10) Power Array 2 [@MSA  built, pilot [N/a]]

If you have issues or suggestions on other modules, dm me

Also, It would be nice if the crew members would be named after the participants (like in collaboration station)

So I'm not allowed to make suggestions, but I am compelled to point out possible rules violations.

Just to reiterate, each crew and cargo vehicle needs to be tested on an unmanned test flight before it is launched. Also, any crewed flights cannot sell seats to scientists or tourists unless the tourist/scientist guidelines are meant. Currently, the first crew wouldn't have anything to do and you wouldn't receive financial compensation for them.

And I'm really not supposed to suggest stuff, but I'll throw you one bone. Currently your finished station can support only two scientists as it has only one research lab. I don't know how big the station is planned to be, but for comparison, the real ISS has three laboratories with another one scheduled to be launched.

Hmm... Maybe I can add more passenger types... I'll think about it and let you know eventually, I don't want to confuse y'all too much.

Here is an image of the cupola module which will dock with the station:

vv4FsNb.png

Mass: 7.7 Tons

Delta V:  2,066 m/s Vacuum

Can be lifted by Muon 6, Sky III, and Kerbal XM (I will probably use the Muon 6 to launch it, since it can lift 8 tons and the craft is slightly under 8 tons and also its the cheapest one it can be lifted on)

And here is an image of it in Muon 6's fairing (it fits pretty well):

gulHHCl.png

Also, @Ultimate Steve when will the construction and unmanned test flights begin, is it when we want to?

Time to work on the EVA module, and after that I should be almost done.

3 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Also, @Ultimate Steve when will the construction and unmanned test flights begin, is it when we want to?

Time to work on the EVA module, and after that I should be almost done.

These six things must be agreed upon before launches can begin:

• The budgets/costs for each module
  • The designs for each modules
  • How the modules will fit together on the station
  • What order the launches will occur in
  • Who will launch each module
  • Crew and resupply schedule for the first year of operations as well as a sales strategy for the seats (tourist vs. scientist)

It would also probably be a good idea to come up with a name for the station.

Just now, Ultimate Steve said:

These six things must be agreed upon before launches can begin:

• The budgets/costs for each module
  • The designs for each modules
  • How the modules will fit together on the station
  • What order the launches will occur in
  • Who will launch each module
  • Crew and resupply schedule for the first year of operations as well as a sales strategy for the seats (tourist vs. scientist)

It would also probably be a good idea to come up with a name for the station.

I agree, if anybody has an idea for a station name, comment it below! (My name suggestion for the station is the Kerbin Collaboration Station or The "Kerbin National Station"

Well, the EVA Module is done now:

k4hjk1K.png

Mass: 10.85 Tons

Delta V:  1,591 m/s Vacuum

Crew Capacity: 4 for non-tourists, 1 For a Tourist

Can be lifted by Sky III, and Kerbal XM (I will use the Sky III to launch it, since its the cheapest one and lighest it can be lifted on)

And here is an image of it with Sky III:

Wvpkkni.png

Well, that's all im doing for today, see you tomorrow, when we discuss more about how this is going to go.

4 hours ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Here is what will probably be the final version of the tanker (it can still only be lifted by KerbalXM, but has some more stuff now):

Delta-V Stats Are Vacuum Stats

tPdCFZd.png

Nice! Will this count as a resupply vehicle? And in that case, will fuel count as "supplies" as well as fuel? If not, I think you may run into the "2 craft 1 vehicle" restriction. Fortunately, it looks like we will have more than 8 modules, so it will be 2 and 1 instead of 1 and 1. If not, the Cupola and EVA modules will count as your 2 and the fuel resupply ship will count as your 1 craft, assuming they get approved by the rest of the team.

4 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

yeah. I will start on a hub

and this is the emergency return vehicle: 

https://imgur.com/a/LCSHrJJ

The link to my Emergency Return Vehicle

https://kerbalx.com/BarzonKerman/CRV 

Looks good except for one thing. The vernier engines are from the expansion, replace those with stock engines (maybe twitches or thuds) and you're good to go!

47 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Crew Capacity: 4 for non-tourists, 1 For a Tourist

Researchers require 2 seats of non-lab space and 1 seat of lab space, but that was a bit unclear, I'll edit the OP.

Also I noticed in the schedule that one science module built by one person is listed three times, for three launches. I didn't say anything specific about launching identical modules, but they count as their own modules, as in one person can launch 1 (or 2 if there are more than 8 modules total, which it looks like there may be), no matter if it is identical or not to another module.

It was not my intent for people to launch other people's designs, but if you want to go that route then I guess you probably can. I didn't make a rule against it.

Also, if I were you, I'd watch your budget. Module cost + launch vehicle retail price (listed in the OP) may grow faster than expected. I currently count ~201k for Johnster's 2 modules, transfer vehicle, and launch vehicles, out of a 600k budget. The small launch vehicles are there for a reason! If you can't push it above 8 modules and remain within budget, you can only launch 1 module and 1 vehicle.

20 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Nice! Will this count as a resupply vehicle?

yes, it will be a resupply vehicle. I think fuel will count as supplies as well as fuel also.

20 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Module cost + launch vehicle retail price (listed in the OP) may grow faster than expected. I currently count ~201k for Johnster's 2 modules, transfer vehicle, and launch vehicles, out of a 600k budget

If necessary, I might get rid of either the cupola or eva module to save some money in the budget.

23 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Researchers require 2 seats of non-lab space and 1 seat of lab space,

that's what I was trying to say, sorry if it was a bit unclear.

So far this is the plan:

1) Control (Administrative) module [@VA7NFH]

2) Habitation Module 1 [@Rover 6428])

3) Power Array 1 [@MSA]

4) Laboratory Module [@Rover 6428]

5) Science Package [@Johnster_Space_Program]

6) Docking Pier [@Alienwall]

7) Communication Tower [@VA7NFH]

8) Escape pods [@Barzon Kerman]

(First Crew arrives [@Barzon Kerman])

9) Fuel Depot Module [@Johnster_Space_Program]

10) Laboratory Module 2 [@Rover 6428]

11) Habitation Module 2 [@Rover 6428]

12) Cupola & EVA Modules [@Johnster_Space_Program]

13) Power Array 2 [@MSA]

If you have issues or suggestions on other modules, dm me

Also, It would be nice if the crew members would be named after the participants (like in collaboration station)

19 hours ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

I agree, if anybody has an idea for a station name, comment it below! (My name suggestion for the station is the Kerbin Collaboration Station or The "Kerbin National Station"

Forum Frontier Outpost?

Edited by Rover 6428

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.