Kerbin Collaborative Space Station

Do y'all have a second crew vehicle yet (escape pod doesn't count as it can't launch crew)? Or any cargo vehicles?

I will catch up on updating the OP and answering recent questions in a little bit. I've been rather busy today. I slept in, had a friend over, and saw Apollo 11. I'll be back in a bit!

25 minutes ago, Alienwall said:

Can I make one of the cargo vehicles or does the docking pier + tug hit the design proposal limit?

The acceptance limit is 2 permanent modules and one crew or cargo vehicle, so I think you should be fine. There is no proposal limit, only an acceptance limit.

Dedicated escape vehicles count as a permanent module BTW.

6 hours ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Looks like we made some profit from @fulgur's wisp ssto! We will need to make some more though, we only have around 150k funds left according to the spreadhsheet:

I hate to be a party pooper but let's not be launching tourists until we have a station. Then you could just fly into orbit endlessly and generate unlimited revenue. The point of the budget was a constraint on the cost of the station, and the tourism was to make a profit after the station was up there.

I admire your cleverness and I should have seen that coming, but the 600k will remain a limit unless I decide to extend it. There are so many participants (way more than expected!) that I may have to, but if I increase the budget there may be additional constraints.

9 hours ago, fulgur said:

So will I 'build' 2 Wisp SSTOs? Or will I return the crew SSTO unmanned and re-launch? I wonder if the rules say anything @Ultimate Steve as I know the Soyuz etc don't return until the mission ends...

To keep things simple, I'm negating construction costs, every launch of the SSTO costs 33% of its total cost for simplicity's sake. Not realistic, but that's a lot to keep track of so I'm simplifying it.

NEW RULE! The amount of return craft seats on the space station must always be equal to or greater than the current station occupancy.

So, if there are enough return seats on the station, then you may return to Kerbin, but if not then you should stay up there.

5 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

The escape pods won't need an escape system as they will go up initially unmanned, meaning there would not be anyone to save during the launch!

Hehe. It's a bit funny that the escape vehicle is the one that doesn't need an escape system!

OP is now updated! Let me know if I got anything wrong!

4 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

I admire your cleverness and I should have seen that coming, but the 600k will remain a limit unless I decide to extend it. There are so many participants (way more than expected!) that I may have to, but if I increase the budget there may be additional constraints.

To keep things simple, I'm negating construction costs, every launch of the SSTO costs 33% of its total cost for simplicity's sake. Not realistic, but that's a lot to keep track of so I'm simplifying it.

NEW RULE! The amount of return craft seats on the space station must always be equal to or greater than the current station occupancy.

OK then, so I will not launch tourists until all the seats are complete. Can we add more modules using the revenue generated by tourism or not?

29 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

If I am able to, I can make a crew vehicle inspired by the SNC Dream Chaser?

I don't see why not, as long as it launches vertically on an existing rocket and adheres to the crew guidelines.

So, if the fuel tanker thing that someone made a while back counts as a resupply ship and not a module (please clarify, I forgot who made that one) then there's one cargo and 1 crew ship left up for grabs.

55 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Done!

https://kerbalx.com/BarzonKerman/Dream-Chaser

Mass

19.96t

Cost

for the first crew arrives in the launch schedule should I replace it with this? also, is it an ssto?

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

2 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

for the first crew arrives in the launch schedule should I replace it with this? also, is it an ssto?

I should hope not, only 1 SSTO is allowed.

Also, 73k? Is that with or without the launch vehicle? With reusability it's less, but wow, I feel like that could use some optimization if that's without.

I'm guessing Sky IIIA would be the launch vehicle at that mass, but Sky IIIA is not man rated and there is a fee for man rating the Sky family, I forget what exactly it is but it's like 30k I think? Don't quote me on that.

Here's what I have for a cargo vehicle so far:

rwt60uJ.jpg

It can be carried on a Muon 6, but that only leaves ~1.2 tons for actual cargo. The cargo fits in the fairing. It probably needs some optimization atm..

I'm guessing that it counts as reusable since it can land using the parachutes.

The reason  it is 73k, is because it is a spaceplane, so it should have a discount due to partial reusablility. It has a expendable tank with solar panels, and the LES, which are the only expendable parts. It has a crew capacity of 7.

3 minutes ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

Also, when is the first part being launched?

That depends. Here is a list of things that need to be done before then:

• All module designs must be finished
  • All cargo and crew designs must be finished (we have Wisp, Dreamchaser, the fuel tug, and Alienwall's thing, which is under construction, so I think we're close)
  • Make sure everything comes in under budget
  • Launch order (this is mostly finished)
  • Station layout, as in what will be docked to what, which ports will be used for visiting vehicles, etc.
  • Plan for recouping initial costs in a short time (tourism and researcher schedule) and resupplying the station.

The designs are definitely more than halfway done, and the vehicle designs are getting close to complete as well. Optimization to get under budget is the next step. This will probably be the thing that takes the longest, as it involves redesigning stuff.

The launch order won't take long once we know the full list of modules.

The layout of the station will be pretty easy once we know the full list of modules.

The tourist/resupply plan will be a bit lengthier than the previous two, but doable once we know how many tourists/researchers the station can support.

If everyone could share their craft files, someone might be able to "build" the station in the VAB to check for fit and also determine layout.

But that's not completely necessary.

All in all, I'd say you're over halfway to the first launch. How far over halfway you are depends on how long the redesigning takes. If everything goes well, the first launch could be really soon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.