Kerbin Collaborative Space Station

5 hours ago, fulgur said:

I have begun R&D for the reusable Wisp 1 SSTO. Here's the Launch Escape System (LES) tests.

Reveal hidden contents

bLstsG5.png

The Wisp 1 is probe-controlled, has a cargo bay full of supplies and solar. It has one retractable antenna and two 1x6 solar panels. There are 2 backup fuel cells and a tank of monoprop. The twin side pods are the Launch Escape System.

Reveal hidden contents

PfSBQEg.png

Liftoff with the emergency [7] Procedure (Abort is parachutes).

2trJCTF.png

And we begin to flip over backwards. Ah well...

JY1ebU2.png

Detaching LES.

gJxbh7f.png

Parachutes out...

c2miQVa.png

And safely down.

Next, we attach it to a solid rocket missile, for more LES testing.

Reveal hidden contents

I4r5UIA.png

We attach it to a Vector missile.

TVu5KGK.png

SPEEED IS KEEEY! (Voyager, the Final Warning by Ultimate Steve)

JG5HTPU.png

And we escape the launch! (I turned the Vector off and the decoupler on with [7]) and escaped. It's behind the KER readout.

MlzfXJ6.png

Parachutes out...

IpnQqhq.png

And deployed!

MN5sSAS.png

Home safe.Well, apart from an explosive fuel tank. Nobody cares about those though right?

Next, we attach it to a bigger suborbital missile to test heating.

Reveal hidden contents

6XL5smK.png

But it doesnt go very fast and I'm bored of testing this now so the mighty power of [F12] is invoked to send it into orbit so I can test heating.

0oUTj2C.png

Deorbiting over KSC

8G8m39q.png

It doesn't want to point retrograde! AAAAAAAAAAA

4T1K8jM.png

Nevertheless, the Mk2 parts are very heat resistant and nothing explodes!

ouzzLTP.png

'Chutes out...

85tO13t.png

And deployed! We're safe!

Now we have to build a cheap Mk2 SSTO. And add docking capability.

Question: do I have to add a command pod or can it be probe controlled?

@Johnster_Space_Program: The Wisp 1 preliminary test vehicle is estimated to cost 46.6k funds. 33% off due to re-usability.

Ok. So should I put the full cost for it or the cost of it with 33% off?

Put the full cost. We need to have an error margin if it breaks on landing or something; we don't get a refund if it's not fully re-usable. Anyway, I haven't actually finished R&D: it's slightly too heavy and either doesn't accelerate supersonic or runs out of fuel.

Current design:

7zaApod.png

Whiplash / Dart combo, 45.1k funds. Needs a lot of fine tuning. If it proves too hard, I might make it a cargo carrier for supplies. (Also are you allowed to take supplies with you? I have currently got 2x small ore tanks (1.5t) on this, as well as science return. But I can remove them if you want.)

EDIT: 42.9k funds now!

Edited by fulgur

23 minutes ago, fulgur said:

Put the full cost. We need to have an error margin if it breaks on landing or something; we don't get a refund if it's not fully re-usable. Anyway, I haven't actually finished R&D: it's slightly too heavy and either doesn't accelerate supersonic or runs out of fuel.

Current design:

7zaApod.png

Whiplash / Dart combo, 45.1k funds. Needs a lot of fine tuning. If it proves too hard, I might make it a cargo carrier for supplies. (Also are you allowed to take supplies with you? I have currently got 2x small ore tanks (1.5t) on this, as well as science return. But I can remove them if you want.)

Ok. I think the full cost is already on the spreadsheet in the crew/cargo vehicle specs. Im Also gonna do some science package testing with a LES and suborbital flight. Im hoping to recover the whole thing so we dont lose any funds.

Edit: Also, what is the total weight of the SSTO in tons so I can add it to the spreadsheet for cost of modules and rockets?

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

Currently the weight is 21.9 tonnes. Also, has anyone got a plan for tourists and prices? If they are to travel on the Wisp the minimum they would pay would be about 8k funds.

h3ljbexpueumwcm2ltjj.jpg

Edited by fulgur

15 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

I have replaced the DLC engines with thw twitch, I think. I will update the craft file soon, and could someone fly it for me?

Also can I make an airlock module?

I could fly it for you. Also I think you should make an airlock module also.

30 minutes ago, fulgur said:

Currently the weight is 21.225 tonnes. Also, has anyone got a plan for tourists and prices? If they are to travel on the Wisp the minimum they would pay would be about 8k funds.

h3ljbexpueumwcm2ltjj.jpg

ok, I can add that to the spreadsheet for tons now.

Hmm, test vehicles... I'm going to be nice and say that any ground/atmo test hardware is free, but don't abuse it. It's only the actual orbital test flights and operational missions that cost something.

1 hour ago, fulgur said:

EDIT: 42.9k funds now!

Nice job on getting the cost down! I don't see any problems with also taking supplies on the crew vehicle, but be advised that it still counts as just a crew vehicle and not a cargo vehicle, in total the program will still need 2 of each.

14 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Nice job on getting the cost down! I don't see any problems with also taking supplies on the crew vehicle, but be advised that it still counts as just a crew vehicle and not a cargo vehicle, in total the program will still need 2 of each.

OK then, supplies are 1.5t in ore, plus two Science boxes. Carrying six crew means they can stay for 0.25 of a year each. I've increased the cost so it can carry 2 more crew in the cargo bay. How much would we charge for tourists? And how often can I launch?

pjbbKch.png
EDIT: Are the 'amount of time you spend between launches' in human or Kerbal time? And if they are in Kerbal time, how long is a month?

Edited by fulgur

44 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

My airlock module cost 15,456 :funds:, weighs 0.990 tons, and has 7 parts.

My Emergency Crew Return Vehicle costs 33,907 :funds: , weighs 15.939 tons, and has 70 parts.

looks good! I added a new section for emergency vehicles on the spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-bhkzUqAgszINbBj0dLyvn2UGxF_EBI-Y3NJv5S9K8/edit?usp=sharing

Just now, Barzon Kerman said:

After multiple simulations, costing 5,000 :funds: @Johnster_Space_Program, a fatal design mistake was discovered, resulting in an upgrade to the KDS system.

Just doing another to see if the changes work. Is 5,000 :funds: a reasonable price for 'simulations'?

yes, as long as it doesn't take too much from the budget

Indeed, but they were of previous versions, and some were LES tests, and some were fuel cell/solar tests, et cetera.

I've added a Tourism section to the spreadsheet. Tourist flights could pay for more modules. I've also set up everything so it calculates costs automatically. Which is what the weird =sum(C44:C56) things are, so don;t delete them.

Edited by fulgur

3 minutes ago, fulgur said:

Indeed, but they were of previous versions, and some were LES tests, and some were fuel cell/solar tests, et cetera.

I've added a Tourism section to the spreadsheet. Tourist flights could pay for more modules.

thanks! that should make managing things a little easier.

1 hour ago, fulgur said:

OK then, supplies are 1.5t in ore, plus two Science boxes. Carrying six crew means they can stay for 0.25 of a year each. I've increased the cost so it can carry 2 more crew in the cargo bay. How much would we charge for tourists? And how often can I launch?

pjbbKch.png
EDIT: Are the 'amount of time you spend between launches' in human or Kerbal time? And if they are in Kerbal time, how long is a month?

good you asked, they are in earth time. so everyone should have their game settings set to earth time, not kerbin time. its also earth time in months on the spreadsheet as well.

5 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Final version: https://kerbalx.com/BarzonKerman/CRV 

16.23 tons

33,550 :funds:

Ok will add those changes to spreadsheet now!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-bhkzUqAgszINbBj0dLyvn2UGxF_EBI-Y3NJv5S9K8/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.