Kerbin Collaborative Space Station

3 hours ago, fulgur said:

OK then, supplies are 1.5t in ore, plus two Science boxes. Carrying six crew means they can stay for 0.25 of a year each. I've increased the cost so it can carry 2 more crew in the cargo bay. How much would we charge for tourists? And how often can I launch?

EDIT: Are the 'amount of time you spend between launches' in human or Kerbal time? And if they are in Kerbal time, how long is a month?

The actual time taken doesn't matter that much, it's just so that you can make a launch schedule with tourists/scientists that will recoup the initial investment cost within 5 years, although that would preferably be sooner. That 5 years is Earth time for simplicity. It doesn't matter for the initial construction launches, although you can keep track of that if you want.

And because your vehicle is the first SSTO in this fictional universe, and in order to not make it too overpowered, I'm going to say once every 2 months.

You all shouldn't need to worry about testing costs, except for the first actual test flight. I'm going to handwave it as "Simulations are free because the government is reimbursing you because they are interested in their capabilities."

58 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Also @Ultimate Steve, is it possible for a uprated Sky III, as my escape pod is just over 16tons, and it seems a bit wasteful to have to spend just under twice as much on a launch vehicle?

I think you have three options:

1. Lighten your escape pod a bit if possible.
  2. Use some of the escape pod's fuel as if it were a third stage. I haven't looked at it recently and I don't know if it has the fuel.
  3. Pay 15,000 for the development of a Sky III with 6 boosters instead of 4. The final version will also be slightly more expensive per flight than a standard Sky III.
16 minutes ago, fulgur said:

Which mod sets you to Earth time? I always thought it was RSS

You can set it to Earth time in the settings menu from the main menu. It doesn't affect planetary positions or speed, only the mission clock.

17 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

OK :) 

Also, you can probably test the launch yourself, on a Sky III, as a simulation. Payload to LKO definitely varies on piloting ability and LKO altitude, which was 120km for payload capacity. So, in reality, flown efficiently, the payload for Sky III might be a bit more.

a3xKeIm.png

Sky IIIA costs 38k, retail price 47k. Dev cost 15k if you use it. Fits into the schedule as a Sky III. Payload to 120x120 LKO is guaranteed 19 tons, 20 if you push it, maybe more if you lower the orbit or fly better, but for planning purposes 19-20.

If this isn't enough an 8 booster version can be developed similarly.

Thanks to @swjr-swis and @Johnster_Space_Program, we now have my habitation module!!!

this one is :funds:34k and weighs 16.5 tons. This version is a little overweight for Sky III, but too thin for Sky III A, so maybe we could launch multiple modules at once on Sky III A?

prpHSS2.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8v4n0fvlygy8imv/Rover6428-HabModule.craft?dl=0

Johnster's version is :funds:31k and weighs 14.2 tons.

gJa583Y.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa2o79434brtfih/Rover 6428 Hab Module.craft?dl=0

I think it would be best to go with this one.

Edited by Rover 6428

2 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

Johnster's version is almost done and then we will go with the cheapest/ the one that fits the best!

Well, mine is done and with the changes you asked me to make! (mine is 30.9k :funds: and weighs around 14 tons)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa2o79434brtfih/Rover 6428 Hab Module.craft?dl=0

9 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

this one is :funds:34k and weighs 16.5 tons. This version is a little overweight for Sky III

So, what you really need is something that can go up on a Sky III (payload limit 16t) and be as cheap as possible. Could've said that to begin with.

The starting budget is a rather heavy constraint. You folks need to design your modules much more with that in mind.

How about an alternative design for the hab module that weighs in at just over 15t and costs :funds:24.6k, and offers a 16 seat capacity (8 researchers or 4 tourists)?

With just a slight modification, this could be transformed into a fully ready tourism module to start getting extra funding for the remainder of the station. Just over :funds:18k and 11.5t for up to 4 tourists at a time:

And still just over 5t payload room left on a Sky III launch.

Place one of each of the above and you have enough habitation room for a steady stream of tourists (and funding), while still having plenty of room for researchers (who will require labs to be added).

Something to consider.

Edited by swjr-swis
craft file links

I like the idea of tourists coming and making us MONEY, so I added seats for to my Wisp 1 craft. It now seats 6. How much can we charge tourists? Minimum for my craft would be around 6k. To make a bit of profit it would be around 7-8k. The only thing is, we need to schedule cargo flights before crew flights, or they won't have any supplies. The Wisp carries enough supplies to feed the passengers for 1/4 of a year.

EDIT: Have just realised the rules say, "will be dropped TO 33%" not BY 33%. So my vehicle now costs 16.6k not 33.3k, so you can charge tourists a mere 3-4k funds! (Of course if you keep the old prices, you get 30k profit!)

Edited by fulgur
money money money

The Plan:

1) Control (Administrative) module [@VA7NFH]

2) Habitation Module 1 [@Rover 6428]

3) Power Array 1 [@MSA]

4) Laboratory Module [@Rover 6428]

5) Science Package [@Johnster_Space_Program]

6) Docking Pier [@Alienwall]

7) Communication Tower [@VA7NFH]

8) Escape pods [@Barzon Kerman]

(First Crew arrives [@Barzon Kerman])

9) Fuel Depot Module [@Johnster_Space_Program]

10) Laboratory Module 2 [@Rover 6428] (Piloted by @Alienwall)

11) Habitation Module 2 [@swjr-swis]

12) Cupola & EVA Modules [@GRS] (Piloted by @Barzon Kerman)

13) Power Array 2 [@MSA]

(Second Crew arrives [@fulgur])

(Tourists arrive [[@fulgur])

14) Science Package [@Johnster_Space_Program] (Piloted by @VA7NFH)

If you have issues or suggestions on other modules, dm me.

This also applies to the order of launches.

Also, It would be nice if the crew members would be named after the participants (like in collaboration station)

14 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Well then if its OK with @Johnster_Space_Program , can we pay dev costs for the Sky IIIA?

yes, its okay

I also added Sky III A to the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-bhkzUqAgszINbBj0dLyvn2UGxF_EBI-Y3NJv5S9K8/edit?usp=sharing

Begun R&D for the spinning ring Hab:
V1:

4quIelY.jpg

As you can see it is to heavy and costly, so back to the drawing board:

V2:

PYGDEko.jpg

Complete with transfer/rendezvous stage and RCS for docking it will fit on the Kerbal XM with a custom fairing

Edited by MiscelanousItem

10 hours ago, Rover 6428 said:

(Second Crew arrives [@fulgur])

(Tourists arrive [@fulgur])

So will I 'build' 2 Wisp SSTOs? Or will I return the crew SSTO unmanned and re-launch? I wonder if the rules say anything @Ultimate Steve as I know the Soyuz etc don't return until the mission ends...

Also how much are we charging them? And how long will they stay for? My vehicle brings enough supplies to stay for ~ 100 days (1/4 of a year), that is 1.5t shared between 6 tourists. So unless they eat into station supplies that would be the maximum possible stay.

EDIT: 10 mins later...

I got the Wisp to orbit with the 2 extra seats! All it needed was some extra :funds: in the form of another Dart engine!

Spoiler

oY4hFIQ.png

Takeoff from the KSC...

YOVIzf0.png

Beginning to get flames...

jSzApXF.png

Switching to Dart mode...

HezQoK1.png

Gliding to apoapsis...

vVQV1ur.png

ORBIT!

cjQXd2M.png?1 Um... optimisation needed? Nope, I'll just add some extra fuel. :D

Edited by fulgur

Looks like we made some profit from @fulgur's wisp ssto! We will need to make some more though, we only have around 150k funds left according to the spreadhsheet:

ioAzJ4c.png

Also, if @Ultimate Steve could put the spreadsheet link on the OP that would be helpful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1a-bhkzUqAgszINbBj0dLyvn2UGxF_EBI-Y3NJv5S9K8/edit?usp=sharing

So will I 'build' 2 Wisp SSTOs? Or will I return the crew SSTO unmanned and re-launch? I wonder if the rules say anything @Ultimate Steve as I know the Soyuz etc don't return until the mission ends...

Also how much are we charging them? And how long will they stay for? My vehicle brings enough supplies to stay for ~ 100 days (1/4 of a year), that is 1.5t shared between 6 tourists. So unless they eat into station supplies that would be the maximum possible stay.

EDIT: 10 mins later...

I got the Wisp to orbit with the 2 extra seats! All it needed was some extra :funds: in the form of another Dart engine!

Reveal hidden contents

oY4hFIQ.png

Takeoff from the KSC...

YOVIzf0.png

Beginning to get flames...

jSzApXF.png

Switching to Dart mode...

HezQoK1.png

Gliding to apoapsis...

vVQV1ur.png

ORBIT!

cjQXd2M.png?1 Um... optimisation needed? Nope, I'll just add some extra fuel. :D

The ship comes back

2 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

@Rover 6428, my escape pods aren't suitable to crew launch due to the lack of an escape system, because the twitch OMS engines are too weak to lift it on the pad, let alone from a moving rocket :)

The escape pods won't need an escape system as they will go up initially unmanned, meaning there would not be anyone to save during the launch!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.