NESD's warehouse (9 oct 22 - New mod "SpikeX")

NESD

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2022 at 6:47 PM, NESD said:

it's really sad, I'm always enjoyed by your mods

@JadeOfMaar  it was just a small mod idea

I don't like use someone's property in my projects, especially if I can make my own.

Why don't you ask Beale about it? Tantares has Vostok parts and he's still into modding sort of.

Hello,

Just a short question: do the dockingports, that come with the SpikeX dock to the stock-dockingports?

Or are these dockingports on the rear end not included?

LuCrNWU.png

Edited by Rakete

@Rakete SpikeX don't have it's own docking ports, but it include shrouds (dark ring on rear side)

that give better view to stock docking ports and add upper attach node for shielded variant

SEuIFQS.png

unfortunately it not 100% compatible with Nertea's version

Pmnn927.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dock in picture possibly from Habtec pack, but if you want only ports

I have my own APAS - IDA - IDSS  style docking ports

FJAXmMt.png

Here, in first page, or search KDSS in CKAN

Habtech is by benjee10, right? Ah... Because I have Planetside (also made by him) i also have some of those ports, too. I also have the Nertea-Mods (except Restock). I think, it will work okay. In fact I am mostly interested in the SpikeX-vessel itself. Dockingports are available more than enough to me. I just wanted to know, if the mod would open up another dockingport, that exclusively docks to itself (like the planetside-mod-ports). I guess the shown SpikeX is more likely suited for an upper stage or to be combined with other parts to take it to a high altitude, as i guess those great looking engines don't bring enough power & isp for complete ssto-ing?

The small landing gear in the picture is included? Or is this from a different mod?

I like those adapter rings. Do they have an integrated decoupler?

Edited by Rakete

This ring IS a decoupler, that give you ability to use rear shielded dock on upper stage of rocket

Shroud have same feature but also give better streamlined view for simple stock docking port

Interstage tubes on first picture is a decoupler shroud with rear stage cap of both rings

------- update -------------

SpikeX is a cockpit, based on some designs of future supersonic aircrafts

and it created for SSTOs and high speed aircrafts but with other parts you can make

nice tiny space shuttle for 6 pilots/

Engines  40 kn for LFO  10kn for MP  ISP for mid to upper stages

Landing gear is from Kerbal foundries, big wheel pack

Edited by NESD

@NESD Tried out your SpikeX. I have done a lot of bug reporting in the past for many a mod here. But this one is the first in a long time, where everything simply works and I found no reportingworthy issues. The parts are so great! Thanks for letting us have these parts.

just three very minor things:

1. For me I wrote a small b9 partswitch patch to make the big wings not only able to carry LF. Carrying a LFO-Mix makes sense, since there are no LF-only-engines for the SpikeX. So if you want to use the whole space in the wings for your wyvern-engines a partswitch patch to make it interchangeable with LFO oder Monoprop might be nice.

2. A nice radial attachable tiny jet engine (just strong enough to make it better possible to land this SpikeX-Vessel) would be a perfect addendum. Maybe in the visual style of the Wyvern. The smallest jet engine in my portfolio (the stock juno) is way to big for the SpikeX. With such an engine it would even make more sense, that you can choose to fill e.g. the wings only with LF. Just a tiny proposal... You may ignore it.

3. The waterfall plumes of the LFO and the Monoprop do not 100,0000% perfectly fit in the enginebells in vacuum. A very very minor plume adjustment could make it even more perfect. But its very very minor

Special thanks for the decoupler for shielded dockingports. This was really a missing piece for me. Thank you so much!

On 10/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, Zarbon44 said:

The new mod is absolutely lovely. Your style is great, it fits restock-alike yet its very unique, keep up the great work!
LuCrNWU.png
eDeH45q.png

A short question. What is this triangular part, that is radial attached right above the rear docking port and slightly clipped into the back fin? Looks nice. (Not the tiny aerobrake. The other thing above the aerobrake)

Edited by Rakete

well . . .

1 - SpikeX is a mod that primary created for SSTOs and aircrafts, so it more focused on More-LF and All-LF fuel systems

Also its a bit of realism (in game about little green people :D) , usually oxidizer required pressurized or insulated tanks

monopropellant always stored in high pressure tanks, so wings not a good place for it.

2 - Original parts of this mod is only cockpit and nose, all other things is a parts from my other "time wasting" projects

that surprisingly perfectly fit here. Engines, antenna and solar panel from Streamline rework, wings also have their own history

so no new parts planned at this moment, maybe inline single pilot cabin, but now I'm waiting more info about new modelling rules for KSP2.

3 - waterfall patch used original waterfall effects, that created for engines with flat ends, wyverns have angular cut of nozzles (Streamline legacy),

so it's just impossible to make it 100% fit together without custom models and animation for effects.

--------------------------------------------------

Triangular thing is a parts of modular RCS nacelle from APUS (also my mod, unfortunately stuck in beta stage by some reasons),

now they under total rework and planned to release as standalone mod

------ upd ------------

Thx for idea about small jet engine for Modular RCS nacelle

Edited by NESD

11 hours ago, NESD said:

1 - SpikeX is a mod that primary created for SSTOs and aircrafts, so it more focused on More-LF and All-LF fuel systems

Also its a bit of realism (in game about little green people :D) , usually oxidizer required pressurized or insulated tanks

monopropellant always stored in high pressure tanks, so wings not a good place for it.

Understood, The reason for my thoughts on that came from the half empty fuelbar next to the staginglist with a spikeX-Upperstage. Yes, I can fill LF in it, but not use ist in the upper stage. I can't balance it valuewise with the rear- or nose tanks, so there is always "dead mass" due to too much Ox or too much LF for the wyverns. And since there is no tiny jetengine I can't use the wing-LF for powered landings in the terminal flight phase. Not a big bummer, but it made me wonder. That's why I thought about it. But it is not a complaint. I like the parts as they are. And... if it should annoy me too much, writing a B9PS-patch for the wing content ain't rocket science. Thanks for the great work.

11 hours ago, NESD said:

so it's just impossible to make it 100% fit together without custom models and animation for effects.

Understood, it was just a minor visual thing. I can perfectly live with this. :D

11 hours ago, NESD said:

Thx for idea about small jet engine for Modular RCS nacelle

Would be a great addition to enable powered landings for the SpikeX. I mean, i have the trajectories mod, so I made it home to the runway (SpikeX vessel was a winged upper stage) just gliding, but many users may not have the mod. Rocket-engines aren't the go-to-solution for powered landings.

Edited by Rakete

12 hours ago, Rakete said:

i have the trajectories mod, so I made it home to the runway

Without Trajectories and with Mandatory RCS   ( suitable for almost all shuttles and SSTOs except those who fly like stone or have too big wings )

1 - Always start reentry from 80 - 80 orbit ( yep, its fuel hungry method, because you cant dive from Mun, even return from station required full double descent )

2 - Start burn at middle of big crater and keep it until Periapsis touch groung, it take around 80 dV ( for equatorial orbit, for other angles just start at 1/4 of orbit before home )

3 - Keep SAS in prograde until touch atmosphere, then set it to Hold, at 50km you will get proper pitch angle for soaring

4 - Glide in atmosphere at 25 - 30 degrees ( properly made and balanced spaceplane can do it, just press [F] for respect  to temporary disable SAS and drop nose)

5 - Your first checkpoint is a beach line of KSC continent, you must pass it at 1900 - 1800 m/s and 30000 - 35000 m ( very roughly, depending on ship )

6 - Pitch up for more braking or down for longer flight, use airbrakes, they not overheat now

7 - If your ship fly MUCH faster or jumping in atmosphere to 45 km and back, roll your craft 90 degrees to side or even head down

8 - If you do everything right, after passing mountains your ship goes to normal flight and can glide to runway. Airbrakes and remaining fuel (if you have it) can help

But . . . SpikeX have very small air drag and definitely overshot KSC so you need start reentry a bit earlier ( or read number 7 )

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, NESD said:

Nice ship, but just curious, why you add docking port on ship that don't have RCS and how small intakes survive reentry, if I remember they easily overheating

Thanks a lot, NESD, it is a nice parts kit. Due to the low airdrag, it was possible to make a compact ssto even with a panther engine!

For docking, I no longer use the RCS (if craft have enouch gyro torque), it is more complicated, but with sufficient skill it is quite possible. If anybody haven't such skill, the dockport can be used for refueling (when the fuel tanker is the active ship). Btw, now small intakes can survive reentry from low orbit, if descent was perform less hard (now even non-retractable gear can survive reentry onto ssto, but it is a bit harder).

Edited by Aerospacer

I made a small modulemanager patch to, if CryoTanks is installed, add the option to switch the bipropellant internal RCS to hydrolox or methalox. This patch does not change the plumes, only changes the stats, by the same ratio as the switch from LFO to methalox/hydrolox for Near Future Launch Vehicles' heavy bipropellant RCS. I thought some other people might find it useful as well.

Spoiler

// Adds LCH4/OX and LH2/OX options for bipropellant internal RCS, based on Starship Hot Gas RCS and the NFLV bipropellant RCS patch

@PART[nesdIRlf*rcs]:NEEDS[CryoTanks]:AFTER[CryoTanks]
{
  %IspVacLF = #$MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]/atmosphereCurve/key,0[1, ]$
  %IspASLLF = #$MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]/atmosphereCurve/key,1[1, ]$
  %ThrustLF = #$/MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]/thrusterPower$

%IspVacH2 = 288
  %IspASLH2 = 241
  %ThrustH2 = #$/MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]/thrusterPower$
  @ThrustH2 *= 0.5

%IspVacCH4 = 264
  %IspASLCH4 = 206
  %ThrustCH4 = #$/MODULE[ModuleRCSFX]/thrusterPower$
  @ThrustCH4 *= 0.8

MODULE
  {
    name = ModuleB9PartSwitch
    moduleID = RCS
    switcherDescription = RCS Propellant
    switcherDescriptionPlural = RCS Propellant Options
    switchInFlight = False
    SUBTYPE
    {
      name = LFO
      title = #LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_lfox 
      primaryColor = ResourceColorLiquidFuel
      secondaryColor = ResourceColorOxidizer
      descriptionDetail = #Uses LiquidFuel and Oxidizer.<br><b>Thruster Power:</b> $/ThrustLF$<br><b>Isp:</b> $/IspASLLF$s (ASL) / $/IspVacLF$s (Vac).

MODULE
      {
        IDENTIFIER
        {
          name = ModuleRCSFX
        }
        DATA
        {
          thrusterPower = #$/ThrustLF$
          PROPELLANT
          {
            name = LiquidFuel
            ratio = 0.45
            resourceFlowMode = STAGE_PRIORITY_FLOW
          }
          PROPELLANT
          {
            name = Oxidizer
            ratio = 0.55
          }
          atmosphereCurve
          {
            key = #0 $/IspVacLF$
            key = #1 $/IspASLLF$
            key = 4 0.001
          }
        }
      }
    }
    SUBTYPE
    {
      name = Hydrolox
      title = #LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_lh2ox 
      primaryColor = ResourceColorLqdHydrogen
      descriptionDetail = #Uses LqdHydrogen and Oxidizer.<br><b>Thruster Power:</b> $/ThrustH2$<br><b>Isp:</b> $/IspASLH2$s (ASL) / $/IspVacH2$s (Vac).
      MODULE
      {
        IDENTIFIER
        {
          name = ModuleRCSFX
        }
        DATA
        {
          thrusterPower = #$/ThrustH2$ 
          PROPELLANT
          {
            name = LqdHydrogen
            ratio = 1.5
          }
          PROPELLANT
          {
            name = Oxidizer
            ratio = 0.1
          }
          atmosphereCurve
          {
            key = #0 $/IspVacH2$
            key = #1 $/IspASLH2$
            key = 4 0.001
          }
        }
      }
    }
    SUBTYPE
    {
      name = Methalox
      title = #LOC_CryoTanks_switcher_fuel_methalox 
      primaryColor = ResourceColorLqdMethane
      descriptionDetail = #Uses LqdMethane and Oxidizer.<br><b>Thruster Power:</b> $/ThrustCH4$<br><b>Isp:</b> $/IspASLCH4$s (ASL) / $/IspVacCH4$s (Vac).
      MODULE
      {
        IDENTIFIER
        {
          name = ModuleRCSFX
        }
        DATA
        {
          thrusterPower = #$/ThrustCH4$ 
          PROPELLANT
          {
            name = LqdMethane
            ratio = 3
          }
          PROPELLANT
          {
            name = Oxidizer
            ratio = 1
          }
          atmosphereCurve
          {
            key = #0 $/IspVacCH4$
            key = #1 $/IspASLCH4$
            key = 4 0.001
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2022 at 4:15 AM, Zarbon44 said:

The new mod is absolutely lovely. Your style is great, it fits restock-alike yet its very unique, keep up the great work!
LuCrNWU.png
eDeH45q.png

This looks sick! I'm doing something similar as a vertical rocket stack. I'm curious about that RCS block on the tail fin. Where's that from?

Also I have a question for you guys. I have SpikeX and KeR-7, both awesome mods. I have trouble finding the parts for the KeR-7 in the VAB (I can find them, but it takes a hot minute), no key word I use seems to pull them up. Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

I've been looking into a Gemini proposal called "Winged Gemini" and I find that it's a very interesting concept. Is it possible that you may do something similar like what you did with the ASSET Mk I, like let's say a ASSET Mk II? Here's a link btw. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Flostgeminimissions.wordpress.com%2Ffeatured-two%2F&psig=AOvVaw1F4c4lj8Wi0fZn_3ZrlvRj&ust=1684715336749000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAQQjB1qFwoTCLCqp-uThf8CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAa

• 5 weeks later...

I'm experiencing an issue with the Internal RCS SRB. As you can see in the screenshot the plume is only visible over the sky despite the actual part itself being in front of the parts and the terrain. The attached photo has no atmospheric or terrain mods, except for KSRSS, installed and is a fresh download of the mod from SpaceDock.

https://imgur.com/a/8nkBzQf

The image below is my GameData. If for some reason you need my log file just let me know

https://imgur.com/a/r7s3t7N

@cameronisher3  This is a known issue, Restock's Depth Mask conflict with SRB plumes in SE-PR part,

My parts don't have any custom modules, and use only stock FX system, so I don't know a way how to fix it on my side

Spoiler
On 8/3/2022 at 11:17 AM, NESD said:

@1FingerSalute  Looks like it caused by Restock`s Depth mask module, that supported in my mod

Zo1cDW0.png

Upper left SE-PR engine patched for restock support, right one not.

This bud found only in Solid fuel booster, all other engines and RCS have same patch

and work fine (with their own bugs :D )

---------------------------------------------

if you wish, you can go to KSP folder -> GameData -> InternalRCS -> Patches

find IntRCS_DepthMaskRestock.cfg or IntRCS_DepthMask.cfg depending on mod that you use

open it in simple notepad (with backup first)

find string  @PART[nesdIntRcsSep]:NEEDS[ReStock]

and change it to something like @PART[nesdIntRcsSeppppppp]:NEEDS[ReStock]

this will remove Restock support and glitch on this part

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.