[1.12.x] Engine Lighting Relit

linuxgurugamer

On 3/10/2020 at 9:45 PM, nepphhh said:

How do I suppress this log spam? (RO, 1.8 but it's persisted for several versions.)

zr33i9k.png

You start by proving a full log file and pinging me

15 hours ago, pingopete said:

Using this in KSP 1.9.1, and RSS with the component space shuttle I got HUGE performance drop, from standard 60 average down to 7.5fps during launch, weirdly no impact while on the ground or low down but as soon as I began gaining height more rapidly it tanked, I've removed mods one by one and found it to be this, the logs were spammed with errors, sorry I don't have any I can link here

I don't use RSS, and without a log file, nothing I can do.

1 hour ago, linuxgurugamer said:

You start by proving a full log file and pinging me

I don't use RSS, and without a log file, nothing I can do.

I totally understand, and sorry I don't have the time to reinstall and test, just thought it worth mentioning

• 1 month later...

https://ibb.co/MZtNYvS

(sorry the "Insert image from URL" don't work)

Is this what supposed to happen? the light effect did not fade away with distance, and only shows up when viewed downwards towards the surface. Additionally, as I look down from orbit, the entire screen turns white with the exception of the craft and UI, and the frame rate reduces significantly, even with crafts of 1 or 2 parts

Edited by SynX

1 hour ago, syngen said:

Im not sure if this has been asked yet but, is there a way to turn down the engine lighting globally?  Its just a little too bright, I can barely see my plumes on some engines.

Untested MM patch, but give it a shot:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[EngineLightEffect]]:FINAL
{
  @lightPower *= 0.5
  @lightRange *= 0.5
}

This should reduce the effects of all engines by half. Adjust as needed

18 hours ago, syngen said:

Thankyou.  Which folder do I shove it in?  Or do I add this to the existing engines config file within the mod?

doesn't matter. Could be in its own file with a .cfg extension if you want. Has to be anywhere within /GameData (except a /PluginData folder) so MM can find it

• 4 weeks later...

I'm trying to increase lightining range, but changing lightRange like this

{
    @MODULE[EngineLightEffect]
    {
        @lightPower *= 1500000.0
        @lightRange *= 1500000.0
    }
}

doesn't seem to have any effect...

56 minutes ago, Tonas1997 said:

I'm trying to increase lightining range, but changing lightRange like this

{
    @MODULE[EngineLightEffect]
    {
        @lightPower *= 1500000.0
        @lightRange *= 1500000.0
    }
}

doesn't seem to have any effect...

Have you checked the MM cache to see if the changes are being applied to the config?

• 1 month later...

Okay, so useless user report style: but in a recent game session I noticed that during a night liftoff, when angling the camera/rocket around a bit, it looked like the plume was illuminating planet terrain like a spotlight. I was well off the ground, but not anywhere near orbit yet. Would that possibly come from Engine Lighting? I obviously need to revisit whichever install/version/etc. that was, but it was totally curious, and reminded me of when craft lights would illuminate the orbited body as if it were just a big ball strung up next to the craft in the scene (which it is, in game-engine-reality).

Edited by Beetlecat

9 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Okay, so useless user report style: but in a recent game session I noticed that during a night liftoff, when angling the camera/rocket around a bit, it looked like the plume was illuminating planet terrain like a spotlight. I was well off the ground, but not anywhere near orbit yet. Would that possibly come from Engine Lighting? I obviously need to revisit whichever install/version/etc. that was, but it was totally curious, and reminded me of when craft lights would illuminate the orbited body as if it were just a big ball strung up next to the craft in the scene (which it is, in game-engine-reality).

It's a known bug that appears sometimes, possibly due to version incompatibility. Same happens when you're in orbit, below the height where terrain stops being 3D rendered (160 km for Kerbin).

12 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

It's a known bug that appears sometimes, possibly due to version incompatibility. Same happens when you're in orbit, below the height where terrain stops being 3D rendered (160 km for Kerbin).

Okay -- so it is that same thing. I kinda figured. I'm messing around with a career game in 1.10.1 using all sorts of not-yet-there mods, so experiencing bees is coming with the territory. :D

I just wanted to say, thank you for adding the in-game GUI. I've been using MM to adjust the lighting, but the in-game option is so much better. I use a lot of your mods, so also wanted to say thanks for everything you do for the KSP community. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, Ive recently been implementing mods, so I came across this one. I put the folder into GameData just like any other time, then KSP wouldn't get to the start screen. I saw that it had "Dependencies", so I put those mods in. However, I saw the other mods but I didn't see any evidence that this mod was working. How should I combat this? What could I be doing wrong?

1 hour ago, kerbalXploder said:

Hello, Ive recently been implementing mods, so I came across this one. I put the folder into GameData just like any other time, then KSP wouldn't get to the start screen. I saw that it had "Dependencies", so I put those mods in. However, I saw the other mods but I didn't see any evidence that this mod was working. How should I combat this? What could I be doing wrong?

@kerbalXploder, there could be a few issues.  To help diagnose the issue, we will need to see a copy of your log file, which you can link in Dropbox.  It also often helps if you can provide a screenshot of the GameData folder.

4 hours ago, hemeac said:

@kerbalXploder, there could be a few issues.  To help diagnose the issue, we will need to see a copy of your log file, which you can link in Dropbox.  It also often helps if you can provide a screenshot of the GameData folder.

Hello, and thank you. Here is the Dropbox link for my Unity log and a snippet of the GameData folder :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h163ykk89ktyw1o/AAC2Bjm_aiBzE187IgmUi6V9a?dl=0

That link should also contain an image of what gameplay looks like just in case it could help.

59 minutes ago, kerbalXploder said:

Hello, and thank you. Here is the Dropbox link for my Unity log and a snippet of the GameData folder :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/h163ykk89ktyw1o/AAC2Bjm_aiBzE187IgmUi6V9a?dl=0

That link should also contain an image of what gameplay looks like just in case it could help.

I think you are missing Module Manager.  This is a core mod that is usually not explicitly written as a dependency, just generally assumed that you know about it as a lot of mods have it bundled.  You should have a file ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll in the GameData folder, but I didn't see evidence of it from the log file.  EngineLight and the dependencies appear to be installed correctly otherwise.  In addition, I noticed that one of the mods came bundled with MiniAVC (this was a mod that "version checked your installed mods").  That mod is no longer supported with later versions of KSP and can cause issues with the game.  I would also recommend you install ZeroMiniAVC.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1614/ZeroMiniAVC

Edited by hemeac

38 minutes ago, hemeac said:

I think you are missing Module Manager.  This is a core mod that is usually not explicitly written as a dependency, just generally assumed that you know about it as a lot of mods have it bundled.  You should have a file ModuleManager.4.1.4.dll in the GameData folder, but I didn't see evidence of it from the log file.  EngineLight and the dependencies appear to be installed correctly otherwise.  In addition, I noticed that one of the mods came bundled with MiniAVC (this was a mod that "version checked your installed mods").  That mod is no longer supported with later versions of KSP and can cause issues with the game.  I would also recommend you install ZeroMiniAVC.

https://spacedock.info/mod/1614/ZeroMiniAVC

Oh wow! Will do! Thanks so much for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, I'm having an issue where on loading I get the error, EngineLightRelit 1.6.3.0 GameDate/EngineLightRelit/Plugins/EnglinglightRelit.dll is not compatible with the current version of KSP. I'm Running 1.10, and the mod link says that the current version of the mod. Am I doing something wrong here?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.