P.S.A. "Cannot Deploy While Stowed"

Ratwerke_Actual

The Making History Service Module has cabinets for you to put goodies in while launching.

I decided to put this to use and store an antenna and solar panels in said cabinet.

However; when the cabinet doors where jettisoned using an action group, all said equipment gave the message "Cannot Deploy While Stowed".

The workaround was to stage-jettison the doors instead of using an action group.

This seemed to solve the problem, but it's very disappointing to learn this is still an issue.

7 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

You should create a bug report.  I'll up vote it.  It might even get fixed one day.

Good for a morning chuckle, Thanks!

From what I've web searched, its a long known issue.

Wouldn't want it to get in front of gear, legs and wheels, though. 

4 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I think there’s an option somewhere on the antenna PAW that lets you force it to deploy even if it’s stowed. Something like ‘Deploy Stowed’.

I saw nothing like that in flight, if memory serves. If in VAB, that's useless in a game sense, as it requires superhuman foresight.

The issue I have is that if I deploy the doors, I can no longer click anything inside the service module unless I zoom in super close so that the camera clips through the door. The only solution is to hide the doors (so they are see through) and then I can click on everything just fine. 

Essentially you never want to decouple the doors. 

1 minute ago, MechBFP said:

The issue I have is that if I deploy the doors, I can no longer click anything inside the service module unless I zoom in super close so that the camera clips through the door. The only solution is to hide the doors (so they are see through) and then I can click on everything just fine. 

So don't use the service bay?

I just typed that out to see if it looked as ridiculous IRL.

10 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I think there’s an option somewhere on the antenna PAW that lets you force it to deploy even if it’s stowed. Something like ‘Deploy Stowed’.

I think it's "Deploy Shielded". In a quick check just now, I only saw this option appear on landing gear.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

I think it's "Deploy Shielded". In a quick check just now, I only saw this option appear on landing gear.

I really think that's poor wording, as I've always seen that option and have often wondered "wth does that even do and mean?", Deploy When Stowed, even if longer would be better. Just something better than shielded as (at least for me), when I think of shielded, especially in an aerospace setting, I think of heatshielding and the like; point being, shielded being read as protective, rather than obstructed.

I read language different though (shamelessly looking to my Autism), so maybe I'm just the exception.

4 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I really think that's poor wording, as I've always seen that option and have often wondered "wth does that even do and mean?", Deploy When Stowed, even if longer would be better. Just something better than shielded as (at least for me), when I think of shielded, especially in an aerospace setting, I think of heatshielding and the like; point being, shielded being read as protective, rather than obstructed.

I read language different though (shamelessly looking to my Autism), so maybe I'm just the exception.

Agreed that it ought to match the error message to which it relates.

On 3/18/2019 at 7:08 AM, klgraham1013 said:

You should create a bug report.  I'll up vote it.  It might even get fixed one day.

There has been one up for this since April 8th of last year, currently sitting at a whopping 5 upvotes.  

https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18459

On 3/18/2019 at 10:55 AM, MechBFP said:

Which is a real drag when you realize none of the 3 service modules from Making History have the ability to disable staging of the doors in the VAB.  Stage lock is your only option.   Super disappointing.

I've had mediocre succes in trying to mod "disable staging" buttons onto the 3 SM's.  Unfortunately even though there is only one stage icon in the staging menu, the game considers each panel to be its own stageable item, leading to something like this:

IikbDCf.jpg

You can disable each panel's staging, but the fairing icon never leaves the staging stack.

Edited by klesh

54 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

Upvoted on the bugtracker. Thanks man.

I'll bet they repaint it before a fix exist.

On another note the SM25 can't handle fuel either. Many issues with flow handling, including random replumbing in flight.

Edited by Ratwerke_Actual
spelling

On Thursday, March 21, 2019 at 12:40 AM, klesh said:

snip> I've had mediocre succes in trying to mod "disable staging" buttons onto the 3 SM's.  Unfortunately even though there is only one stage icon in the staging menu, the game considers each panel to be its own stageable item, leading to something like this: <snip

I have been chasing a different approach.

I have found that staging the doors is the only way to ensure that equipment inside still functions. After six evenings of testing.

I also think I have the fuel problem solved without resorting to fuel lines, which get randomly replumbed during a save anyway.

Still more testing to do, but fingers crossed.

The way the doors eject is still one of the most immersion-breaking things to witness.

Edited by Ratwerke_Actual
And another thing....

• 9 months later...

I was having this issue and was searching the net.  Everyone is having the same problem.  

It is not a bug , and I FIGURED IT OUT :)  so when you use a storage container it is then put in the staging of your build.  So the same as building a fairing.   You need to tigger the stage of the storage container and the parts that are suppose to be exposed will then animate.   You then can deploy comms, heat sheilds, or solar arrays.  

Cheers!!

I'm glad this has re-surfaced... It's infuriating that these service bays don't have a "disable staging" option lol. That said. I'd give every part that can be staged the option to be removed from staging if I was a dev :)

Don't get me wrong ofc, I truly appreciate Squad's work :) 

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.