Geography of KSP

RocketSimplicity

KSP has some great geography made by Squad, and before that the original makers of the reversed map. For a while there was a moderately sized thread about the geography of KSP:

Unfortunately, this thread is long dead as stated by the final two posts. I hadn't really thought about making this thread until I saw over the past couple of months, more and more small threads were made about the geography of Kerbin i.e. the land bridge that used to connect the peninsula east of the KSC to the large companies. Why did it go naturally? (Why would Squad care about one tiny land ridge and have to remove it??)

Basically, this thread is a place to discuss the geography of the planets, moons and beyond.

Firstly as a starting point, I have heard references to meteor craters scattered around Kerbin. Can we locate them (aparts from the already obvious one)

Edited by RocketSimplicity

I'm currently in the middle of (well I wish... I'm about 25% through) a boat drive around the coastline of Kerbin. I've been really impressed by how some it looks.

One feature I noticed, not too far from the location of the KSC, was what looked like a meteor crater.

vLXlNMf.jpg

I don't have an exact location, but it was somewhere in the middle of this leg of the trip. There's a map at the top of the post and it should be somewhere near the middle of the leg of the journey marked on it.

Most likely though it's the one at 24.9, -98.2 (based on Temporary Kerbal Maps)

I'm currently passing through the big crater bay near the equator, and to me that has by far the best terrain I've seen in the game.

1 hour ago, RocketSimplicity said:

Might do a aircraft and space survey of that site. May be able to find a little more information about it based on it's surroundings and Kerbnet. Also, good luck on that steep terrain!

That's nothing, this is where that rover's been playing recently (rim of the big crater bay).

ER3ChJZ.jpg

Plus climbing up this a few days ago.

I wonder why Barbeque Bay's crater rims are so high. Unless it is a non atmospheric/weather  place such as the mun, erosion should have destroyed the large walls of the crater... Unless it is a rather new crater.

Edited by RocketSimplicity

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.