How can I build a ramp?

There are a few options:

• Build a ramp that is attached and include a method for detaching it
  • Build a separate mobile ramp craft and place it where you want before launching the other craft (probably has to be off the runway)

However, note that what you're proposing is essentially a collision between two vessels, which carries the risk of explosions. It'll probably be better long term to learn how to make a plane take off normally (wheels near center of mass, pitch control far from center of mass).

If I had to attempt this idea, I'd probably build the ramp behind my plane in the spaceplane hangar, then detach, taxi the plane some distance down the runway, turn around, and take off towards the west. That way there'd be no need to move the ramp.

Edited by HebaruSan

Delta wee, as HebaruSan wrote, build the ramp as part of the plane. For Example connect a decoupler to the plane, right click the decoupler and set ejection force to zero. Then press 2 (Offset tool) click the decoupler, hold shift key and move the decoupler where you want to build the ramp. It might be difficult to get enough distance between the plane and the ramp in the SPH, but I think there are mods to allow you to build outside (EDIT: such a mod is mentioned here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/182945-vab-size/). Using a ramp to launch a plane has never occured to me, but it sounds exquisitly kerbal. Thank you for the idea.

Edited by Jan Kerjann

I’d like to see what this plane is that’s giving you trouble. I can think of no planes in real life that use a ramp.

…other than being another word for the apron, which is the paved area immediately in front of the hangar. But that’s not what you’re asking about!

2 hours ago, pincushionman said:

I’d like to see what this plane is that’s giving you trouble. I can think of no planes in real life that use a ramp.

…other than being another word for the apron, which is the paved area immediately in front of the hangar. But that’s not what you’re asking about!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ski-jump_(aviation)

Take a look at that.

14 hours ago, pincushionman said:

The plane is small and has no wheels to reduce weight and air friction. I can't use the runway to takeoff because the plane crashes when it hits the first bump in the runway, but it slides on the ground well so I figured I could put a ramp in front of it to launch it in the air.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.