[Tutorial] How to install mods (manually & CKAN)

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

I dont quite understand the first part of your question, but most mods include multiple files/folders, so to make it easy to install/remove, they generally come with one, parent folder that contains everything. And generally, you only have to "put" that one folder in your /GameData/ folder.
ModuleManager is just *one* file, so no need to have it in its own folder. So to make it easier, you just have to "put" that one file in your /GameData/ folder.
Plus, when troubleshooting or asking for help with broken mods, using a screenshot of the list of folders (mods) in your /GameData/ folder, its easier for anyone trying to help, to actually *see* the ModuleManager file, and to know *exactly* what version it is, and that its the correct one or not, because the version number is in the file name. vOv

Thanks again for your assistance. What you say makes a lot of sense. My some but little knowledge is my enemy in this regard. Yes generally I think I understand and the mm .dll ,being an exception confused me. Matching versions I am also aware of thanks. I was confused when on Sabian s gitHub page and the only one I could find named ModuslManager was in the master one. In hindsight 4x4cheesecake’s direct link to download the .dll and his forum page on modular manager would have help me. I have no complaints at all just trying the help my self and convey my miss understandings clearly as I can. And of course help help others that may be struggling like I was.  Thanks again so much. Amazing mod. Lots of fun. 

screen shots yes I agree. I need to find a non log in image hosting site. I’m getting close to my total time in front of log in screens as the sum of my lifetime on the can. 

Edited by bonyetty

8 hours ago, bonyetty said:

I was confused when on Sabian s gitHub page and the only one I could find named ModuslManager was in the master one.

Yes... you have to be careful downloading any mods directly from Github.
Dont *ever* install a mod from a .zip by clicking the green button on top right of the main Github repo page. ALWAYS, click the "Releases" tab, and be careful downloading/installing from the "Source.zip" links... those are usually not the correct .zips to installing a mod with, either.

Some mod devs host actual release packages (the .zips to use to actually *install* a mod), on *other* websites/hosts, even tho they host the files to *build* the mod on Github.
Sarbian is one of those. IIRC, all of Sarbian's mods should be downloaded from Jenkins website and links, NOT Github.

8 hours ago, bonyetty said:

screen shots yes I agree. I need to find a non log in image hosting site.

Imgur.com is a good site for free hosting, with NO account/sign-up required. Just go there, click the "New Post" button at the top, and drag/drop your image in the box...
then after its uploaded, for single images, you right-click, an select "Copy Link Location", and paste it in your forum post, and you are done.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Lewie said:

How do you change the game directory from steam to the other thing?

What other thing?  Do you mean how do you move KSP out from under Steam's purview?    Drag and drop it to a new location. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Goaty1208 said:

I haven't understood a thing: can ckan update mods from, I don't know, 1.7 to 1.10.1 also if the creator hasn't done any 1.10.1 version?

Well, yes and no. CKAN doesn't update mods to another game version, this need to be done by a mod creator/maintainer. It is just a tool which simplifies the installation of mods to the game and it will always try to keep everything compatible to each other.

But: You can always force CKAN to install every mod version to every game version you want. If you do this, you're always in the risk to break the game or at least the (probably incompatible) mod. I've described the process to do this in the "Advanced Stuff" section of the CKAN tutorial.

Applied to the example in your question: You have to launch CKAN, pick your 1.10.1 install from the list of managed KSP instances (if you have more then one KSP instance installed and managed by CKAN). Then go to "settings" -> "compatible KSP versions" and select "1.7". This will allow CKAN to install mods which are not officially supported in 1.10.1 but 1.7.x. You can also select every other game version from 1.7 up to 1.10 to be sure, you'll always get the latest version of the mod.

Alternative, if you don't want to allow EVERY 1.7.x mod to be available for your 1.10.1 game: In the CKAN main window, switch the filter from "compatible" to "all", search for the mod you want to install and select it.  Then, switch to the "version" tab on the right side of the window to see a list of all available mod versions. Select the mod version you want to install... CKAN will warn you about the incompatibility but also asks you, if you really want to install the mod. Select "install" and CKAN will install the mod for you, despite any incompatibilities.

For example:

QUOFuWB.png

• 3 years later...