Build-a-Moonmoon

iapetus_and_saturn.jpg

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2182158-moons-can-have-moons-and-they-are-called-moonmoons/

We all know about moonmoons. I think the article puts it best: "moons can have moons, and they're called moonmoons."

This challenge is simple. Capture an asteroid, and give a moon a moon. It doesn't matter which moon in KSP is moon'd. Entrants will be sorted by mass of the completed moon. You're welcome to stitch asteroids together, too. Bonus points for far away moons.

Winners get the badge below! If you want to make a better one, please do; I'm not very good at GIMP.

IA5B6TO.png

ENTRANTS:

KingDominoIII - 884 tonnes

Sky Vagrant - 415 tonnes

Johnster_Space_Program - 143 tonnes

SecondChance - 114 tonnes

Edited by KingDominoIII

• 2 weeks later...

Was just looking for the Jool 5 thread (searchbar is probably easier lol), and stumbled across this.

A couple of things. Doesn't Lathye make this quite easy, due to aerocapture? And how big is Gilly? Becuase is it really a moonmoon if the object you put in orbit is bigger than the original moon? In fact it likely shows a fatal flaw in the physics engine.

1 hour ago, M_Rat13 said:

Was just looking for the Jool 5 thread (searchbar is probably easier lol), and stumbled across this.

A couple of things. Doesn't Lathye make this quite easy, due to aerocapture? And how big is Gilly? Becuase is it really a moonmoon if the object you put in orbit is bigger than the original moon? In fact it likely shows a fatal flaw in the physics engine.

Actually you may find making something bigger than Gilly to be a bigger challenge than you'd think.

19 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Actually you may find making something bigger than Gilly to be a bigger challenge than you'd think.

Well I'm more looking at it as a joke, becuase then the orbits should be reversed, but they won't be. Don't know if someone will go to the effort for such a small payoff, but we shall see.

3 hours ago, M_Rat13 said:

Well yes, but no.

Laythe is really freakin' far from asteroids. You can't really capture a Dresteroid without canceling out the Oberth effect, and getting a kilotonne payload craft or so to Jool is pretty much impossible. Also, asteroids have incredibly low heat tolerance for an object you can't spin around to dissipate heat.

I know you're joking, but I did the math (really research) anyway.

Gilly weighs 1.2E14 tonnes. The biggest asteroid I've seen is one kilotonne. Gilly is .12 petatonnes. That's a difference in magnitude of 14. That's huge! The Earth weighs only about 81 times more than the moon. Gilly is huge, it's just that gravity is an extraordinarily weak force.

40 minutes ago, KingDominoIII said:

Well yes, but no.

Laythe is really freakin' far from asteroids. You can't really capture a Dresteroid without canceling out the Oberth effect, and getting a kilotonne payload craft or so to Jool is pretty much impossible. Also, asteroids have incredibly low heat tolerance for an object you can't spin around to dissipate heat.

I know you're joking, but I did the math (really research) anyway.

Gilly weighs 1.2E14 tonnes. The biggest asteroid I've seen is one kilotonne. Gilly is .12 petatonnes. That's a difference in magnitude of 14. That's huge! The Earth weighs only about 81 times more than the moon. Gilly is huge, it's just that gravity is an extraordinarily weak force.

So using Duna to aerocapture then putting the asteroid next to Ike is better?

Also why am I not surprised  KSP players works out the maths on EVERYTHING. Do you not have days off?

But anyway, yikes. That's 12 with 14 zeroes if I'm not mistaken (1,200,000,000,000,000 for those that want to see the actual number). By the time you finished, Squad would have released more planets to explore ;)

Edited by M_Rat13

3 minutes ago, M_Rat13 said:

So using Duna to aerocapture then putting the asteroid next to Ike is better?

Also why am I not surprised  KSP players works out the maths on EVERYTHING. Do you not have days off?

But anyway, yikes. That's 12 with 14 zeroes if I'm not mistaken (1,200,000,000,000,000 for those that want to see the actual number). By the time you finished, Squad would have released more planets to explore ;)

Probably easier, although it's easiest to just go to the Mun. Duna aerocapture is most likely the best option, yeah, considering the size of Ike and how likely you are to get an encounter with an elliptical orbit. Of course, if you find a highly eccentric asteroid you could always work around that.

1.2E14 is 12 with 13 zeroes, 120,000,000,000,000.

Edited by KingDominoIII

• 2 weeks later...

I actually did this not long ago! I have a pic but will have to check my save later for mass and orbit specifics its class C though (I'll update this post once I'm home), met it out in solar orbit which was very fun! I reckon I have enough fuel left over to hop it back over to Minmus too! Yes the craft is overbuilt but I had contract to put it in orbit of kerbin, Mun and Minmus so that's why :wink:

Also someone with the required artistic talent should make a badge for this!

xwGK0Kk.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.