Build-a-Moonmoon

On 3/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, KingDominoIII said:

Laythe is really freakin' far from asteroids. You can't really capture a Dresteroid without canceling out the Oberth effect, and getting a kilotonne payload craft or so to Jool is pretty much impossible. Also, asteroids have incredibly low heat tolerance for an object you can't spin around to dissipate heat.

If you use the SENTINEL IR telescope on a craft orbiting the sun between Dres and Jool, I think you should be able to detect asteroids that intersect Jool’s orbit.

I used aerobraking on an asteroid at Kerbin and timewarped it through about 30 orbits before it got low and hot enough to explode (I was just messing around, but it was cool). So it can work if you don’t put it too low in the atmosphere.

Edited by Sky Vagrant

16 minutes ago, Sky Vagrant said:

If you use the SENTINEL IR telescope on a craft orbiting the sun between Dres and Jool, I think you should be able to detect asteroids that intersect Jool’s orbit.

I used aerobraking on an asteroid at Kerbin and timewarped it through about 30 orbits before it got low and hot enough to explode (I was just messing around, but it was cool). So it can work if you don’t put it too low in the atmosphere.

Yeah, it's more a matter of getting it on the first try to capture without burning up.

Mind if I do this in ksp 1.3.1

Cause in my 1.3.1 save i have a sattelite with the Sentinel that is in between Jool and Dres (due to a failed mission to jool).

2 hours ago, KingDominoIII said:

Yeah, it's more a matter of getting it on the first try to capture without burning up.

Also you could go in with the rocket engines taking the heat of the atmo

Or build a giant block around the asteroid covered with heat shields

56 minutes ago, TheRandomGuy1029 said:

Mind if I do this in ksp 1.3.1

Cause in my 1.3.1 save i have a sattelite with the Sentinel that is in between Jool and Dres (due to a failed mission to jool).

Also you could go in with the rocket engines taking the heat of the atmo

Or build a giant block around the asteroid covered with heat shields

Version doesn't matter, go ahead.

I play in Career mode and this was actually one of my contracts about a month ago (real time); put a Class D asteroid in orbit of Minmus. It's currently 415t (mined it a bit):

C3jn2Mi.jpg

That's a lander at the bottom that brought along a claw to attach and refuel. The miner is on the right side of the asteroid. On the left is an alternate dock with solar panels and RCS and currently attached to that is a refueling vessel that is basically an orange tank with two Nerv engines.

3 minutes ago, TheRandomGuy1029 said:

The asteroid has a mass of 2328 t

Class E gets pretty explody for me. I have no problem wrangling Class Ds, but the same craft tends to rip itself apart when coming out of time acceleration or switching between craft when attached to a Class E.

14 hours ago, Sky Vagrant said:

I play in Career mode and this was actually one of my contracts about a month ago (real time); put a Class D asteroid in orbit of Minmus. It's currently 415t (mined it a bit):

C3jn2Mi.jpg

That's a lander at the bottom that brought along a claw to attach and refuel. The miner is on the right side of the asteroid. On the left is an alternate dock with solar panels and RCS and currently attached to that is a refueling vessel that is basically an orange tank with two Nerv engines.

Grab your badge, congrats!

10 hours ago, TheRandomGuy1029 said:

Put it around Pol at around 30000km

Cool! Submit a pic of the asteroid to get on the leaderboard.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.