using NUMPAD keys for translational RCS?

Dropbear67

I'm writing this at work so don't have kerbal in front of me right now, but I'm learning how to dock and am finding the translational RCS keys "hjklin" very unintuitive when it comes to steering using them. I would REALLY like to set up the RCS thrusters to use my numpad .. ie  4/6 left right  8/2 up down, +- forward backward etc.. 

Do I make these changes in the input section ONLY in the translation control section of the setup screen? Is this something anyone else does?

That's a good idea and I don't know why I never thought of it before. I guess the cluttered translation controls layout (which is done for the benefit of numpadless-keyboards) never really annoyed me enough to go looking for a solution. I haven't got KSP open either right now but I'm pretty sure you can remap every major and most minor controls.

That was the first thing I did as soon as I learned how to control the ship with rcs. Yeh, ijklwhatever is so unintuitive, hell, I don't even know where those buttons are, somewhere in the middle of a keyboard lol. Numpad 7/1 for forward/backward movement, 8/2 and 4/6 for sideways movement.

And yes, you change it only in one section.

Well i can happily say that it works really well, and I'm happy with the functionality.

Now to find a mod that will roll my ship to be dorsal side up with a click of the button as I can never seem to get that orientation right. It's always useful when left is left and right is right

I use these keys and they work great. Right Shift and Right Control are forward and backward. The Arrow keys are up, down, left and right.

jkCZDh4.jpg

I also use the same keys for Kerbal jetpacks so I only have one set of keys to remember for both.

With a little practice it's pretty easy to control translation with my right hand on those keys and rotation using my left hand on AWSD. It makes precision docking a lot easier

Edited by Tyko

On 3/21/2019 at 10:07 PM, Dropbear67 said:

Well i can happily say that it works really well, and I'm happy with the functionality.

Now to find a mod that will roll my ship to be dorsal side up with a click of the button as I can never seem to get that orientation right. It's always useful when left is left and right is right

Mechjeb's Smart A.S.S. module does numeric input for axial control, and all the relative controls have a "hold roll" option which is nice. I swear I install MJ just for that sometimes.

4 hours ago, Loskene said:
On 3/21/2019 at 3:07 PM, Dropbear67 said:

Mechjeb's Smart A.S.S. module does numeric input for axial control, and all the relative controls have a "hold roll" option which is nice. I swear I install MJ just for that sometimes.

Or you can just put an antenna or some other easily recognizable object on the "up" side so you can find quickly.

Docking Port Alignment Indicator also has an orientation readout - it doesn't do any of the work for you like MJ does, but it gives you the tools you need to dock precisely every time with a little practice.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.