History and Parts Pack and Free Update Delayed

UomoCapra

11 hours ago, pooplol629 said:

except they can test things before hand instead of assuming it'll be ok this is a case of they were not ready from the get go and are showing that they are being incompetent 

The fact that they delayed it is proof that they test beforehand.

[snip]

11 hours ago, pooplol629 said:

at this point console should be free to play

HAHAHAHAHA... No.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted By Moderator.

18 hours ago, UomoCapra said:

Dear KSP community,

We have experienced some technical issues with the release of the History and Parts Pack DLC for Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition and the free content update for both PS4 and Xbox One. These issues would have hindered our players’ experience, so we have decided to hold back this release until they can be addressed. We realize that many of you were truly excited about tomorrow’s release, but we believe that making this decision was the right thing to do in order to launch with the best experience. As soon as we have confirmed the new release date we will share it with all of you.

Thank you,

-The KSP Development Team

can we get frequent updates on the matter maybe some context on what happened in more detail as you guys try to figure it out? maybe see if the community can help

On one hand, I appreciate the honesty letting us know that the update was delayed. On the other, this update is long overdue. The last console update was July 19th 2018, only a bug fix, and squad failed to communicate fot the next several months, even when directly asked. In my opinion, anyone who bought the flying tiger port should receive the DLC for free for being crapped on for the past 2 years.

At the very least, squad needs to commit to a console update schedule, and make an attempt to bring features from pc to consoles in a timely manner.

So after 8 months of development since last update, the current version is in unplayable state (at least so bad, it can not be released to the public). Well, lets hope that some quick patch will fix all of that :-(

Well, I really hoped that this next pathc will just polish the game. Not break it even more :-/

19 hours ago, Frank_G said:

Developers who care about delivering a solid product are good developers. Take your time :) - your effort is really appreciated.

[snip]   They put a date out and they did not accomplish. This people have a habit of underperformimg you can't say to them "take your time" 

Edited by Gargamel

4 hours ago, T1mo98 said:

If you had any idea how development works you'd know that these things happen and cannot always be accounted for beforehand. 

This can happen. But honestly - three times is not normal, do you agree? The KSP was released in such state, that it got pulled of from the store (at least you could not buy it in some regions). It was so broken, they decided to do new port from scratch so fixing took 1,5 year. (this is not normal - when did this happen before?). Then then one version was also full of gamebreaking bugs so we waited months for two updates (normal studios supprot their games much faster). And now we have another upate, that is so broken, they had to cancel the release.

If this happens during development, how many games are released like this?

9 minutes ago, Leopard said:

someone decided to actually try playing it and no depending on automated testing?

You should try being a software tester once, it isn't as easy as just playing the game or using the software.

3 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

They put a date out and they did not accomplish.

You're right.  Absolutely right.

So, what's the solution?

A. Time machine

B. Release crap now

C. Release working version later

Pick the one answer that's not going to anger a significant section of the community.

1 minute ago, Agarwel said:

This can happen. But honestly - three times is not normal, do you agree? The KSP was released in such state, that it got pulled of from the store (at least you could not buy it in some regions). It was so broken, they decided to do new port from scratch so fixing took 1,5 year. (this is not normal - when did this happen before?). Then then one version was also full of gamebreaking bugs so we waited months for two updates (normal studios supprot their games much faster). And now we have another upate, that is so broken, they had to cancel the release.

If this happens during development, how many games are released like this?

Studio support depends heavily on what studio it is and how many resources they have.

Squad is not a big studio and I don't think they really have the resources to fix every bug they find within a month a two. Keep in mind that KSP is an insanely complicated game that has much more mechanics than your usual Triple-AAA release.

Also, this update is most likely not 'so broken they had to cancel a release', it is most likely 1 or 2 bugs that impair functionality on such a level that fixing them would be prudent instead of releasing it and hoping for the best. Bugs are not always apparent and can very easily not be discovered until quite late. Considering I have a job in software testing I can testify that this stuff isn't a straightforward as you might think.

2 minutes ago, T1mo98 said:

You should try being a software tester once, it isn't as easy as just playing the game or using the software.

have worked as a software tester on a software project that makes this look like a masterpiece, I took great pleasure in making it as "failed" due to basic interface issues, which prevented going far enough to discover the fundamental problems below them that became obvious later - again apparently basic testing of the thing as a whole hadn't been attempted

my comment related to the first revision of the "enhanced edition" where basic functions like on screen buttons didn't work - likely automated testing of the function behind them was fine but it was painfully obvious no one had actually tried interacting with the interface or they would have spotted it.

On 3/21/2019 at 3:16 PM, razark said:

D: Get their [snip] togheter, don't put ETA for something that is already delayed. Test it before the last minute of release. 

Edited by Gargamel

On 3/21/2019 at 3:20 PM, Lein Armweek said:

D: Get their [snip] togheter, don't put ETA for something that is already delayed. Test it before the last minute of release. 

Too late.  We're already here.  Not getting here is NOT an option without the time machine.

Edited by Gargamel
Edited the Quote

8 minutes ago, razark said:

So, what's the solution?

A. Time machine

B. Release crap now

Pick the one answer that's not going to anger a significant section of the community.

Are this really the options you think are valid? You serious? None of them have any consequences for the developer. Frankly they seem a little Biased. In none of them the option of  improving their current standard is present. Lol you live like this? 

3 minutes ago, razark said:

Too late.  We're already here.  Not getting here is NOT an option without the time machine.

How many times must it happen before you give us an option D? 

6 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

Are this really the options you think are valid? You serious?

Yes.

7 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

Frankly they seem a little Biased.

I'm sorry that these options are all biased on the side of reality.

7 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

In none of them the option of  improving their current standard is present.

That's a completely different question.  I'm talking about the situation that currently exists.  Squad missed a deadline.  This is the reality.  Their options are either to release what they have now, or to fix it and release it later.  All the complaining in this thread is not going to make another option possible.

9 minutes ago, Lein Armweek said:

How many times must it happen before you give us an option D? 

Potato soup.

Damn, this is incredibly disappointing. I understand that development issues sometimes arrive, and of course I'd rather play a less-buggy version, but when I purchased KSP on a console, I wasn't told how neglected it was. Stealing something someone else on the forums said: "they essentially paid twice the price for half the game."

I just realized what an understatement this is. We watch as the PC players are consistently showered with new content, bug fixes, and QoL improvements, while we wallow on Squad's back burner. I had just gotten excited for the console update when I read this thread. Please, Squad, make us more of a priority in your development. We deserve updates too.

In the future, I will not get my hopes up. I'm not angry, Developers, I'm just incredibly disappointed.

:(

1 hour ago, razark said:

So, what's the solution?

A. Time machine

B. Release crap now

B. Release it now

I mean come on we haven’t gotten an update for so long why can’t we at least try to play the new version and give feedback on what you need to fix

6 hours ago, razark said:

Yes.

That's a completely different question.  I'm talking about the situation that currently exists.  Squad missed a deadline.  This is the reality.  Their options are either to release what they have now, or to fix it and release it later.  All the complaining in this thread is not going to make another option possible.

Potato soup.

Well it's established that the economic insentive is not enough for the developers so to prevent a delay to happen again I believe complaining could be my only non passiv option. Why do you think I don't understand the reality of the situation? [snip]

Edited by Gargamel

On 3/21/2019 at 5:14 PM, Lein Armweek said:

Don't be sorry, them needing to get their [snip] togheter is also a reality. 

Edited by Gargamel