Low cost Laythe Science Mission - with a twist

27 minutes ago, dnbattley said:

These look great! Thanks @jinnantonix for suggesting and @vyznev for putting them together! I'll proudly add this to my profile page :) Do you object to my putting the words "¢ertified ¢heapskate" on/around/near it :)

I have no objections whatsoever. :D 

(I thought about including the "low budget" part of the challenge in the badge itself somehow, but couldn't figure out a good way to fit it in. But feel free to make your own versions!)

3 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

@dnbattley

Well for one, I don't object, because you have truly earned that honour.  :)

Why thank you sir.

On a related note, I only just yesterday realised why, when I ran the mission, it seemed slightly harder to leave Laythe than I had designed for during my testing, as I only just noticed the slight nerfing (particularly in atmosphere) of the Spark in 1.7!

@farmerben I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but this is what I did.  

1. Use snipping tool to capture a .png image, and save to png file.
  2. Upload to Imgur
  3. Click on Imgur image, and CTRL-C to copy URL
  4. Edit signature, click Insert media, CTRL-V the URL. 

With some tweaking, I have an entry for Leaderboard 1 at <$33k.

The key was optimising the craft for the passage from Pol to Laythe to Pol.  More fuel for the Laythe lander jet, and dropping from Laythe high orbit, meant a smaller interplanetary craft could be used, saving funds.  The passage from Minmus to Pol was very tight, my craft landed at 10m/s with nothing in the tank.

YhdVFRR.png

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, jinnantonix said:

Wow @Kergarin.  Not exactly low cost.  But very cool.

The plan was to do the anti mission: an unnecessary complicated trip featuring satellites, deepsea probes dropped by planes, a fleet of boats, a base, a mining rig and tankers, an orbiting station and much more.

Sadly didn't find the time and wanted to release before this dlc makes my mechanics obsolete

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.