How to launch large asymmetric space ships

I built an NCC-1701. But I don't know how to launch it. It doesn't have enough thrust on its own engine and I've flattened its own engine. But its shape is not suitable for aerodynamics. How to leveling Thrust Centre and center of gravity and lift. 

Excuse that My English is not good.There may be grammatical errors.

Thanks!

Edited by ZZYZZY

You can use SetOrbit in the cheat menu -- and then you don't have to launch it? You can pretend you launched it, and just never admit that you cheated.

Or you can put wings and wheels on it, with decouplers. You might be able to fly it to orbit like a spaceplane?

Yes,  with lots of boosters and reaction wheels. and KER, it will help with balancing the thrusts much better than using the in game balls and arrows.

Your going to want to take the famed approach of "Launch Efficiency" and kick it to the curb. Your easiest launch path will probably be go straight up until 60km and turn right. Aerodynamic forces will eat you, your ship, and most of your patience if you venture outside of the yellow circle, or even close to the edge.

If you want to get aggressive with mods you can use hyperedit and either lower the gravity of kerbin or just plunk it in orbit.

Or... post a craft file and maybe one of us resident nutcases might build a working lifter for it. Some people here are pretty good at launching contraptions that have no physical business whatsoever trying to make it to orbit. :D

8 hours ago, bewing said:

You can use SetOrbit in the cheat menu -- and then you don't have to launch it? You can pretend you launched it, and just never admit that you cheated.

Or you can put wings and wheels on it, with decouplers. You might be able to fly it to orbit like a spaceplane?

Thank you.But I ask this question because I don't want to cheat.:D

Edited by ZZYZZY

13 hours ago, ZZYZZY said:

I built an NCC-1701. But I don't know how to launch it. It doesn't have enough thrust on its own engine and I've flattened its own engine. But its shape is not suitable for aerodynamics. How to leveling Thrust Centre and center of gravity and lift. 

Excuse that My English is not good.There may be grammatical errors.

Thanks!

Did this a year or so ago, will not be exact for your craft but should give you a general idea ............. cheers!

NCC 1701 Lift To Orbit

13 hours ago, ZZYZZY said:

I built an NCC-1701.

Okay, how big are we talking? Usually using some Fairings and counteracting the balance works for me, but it all depends on the size of your payload. You could alternatively try launching your Enterprise like a spaceplane. You could add de-attachable control surfaces and see how that goes. 

1 minute ago, adsii1970 said:

Wow... four shuttles at one time? How many Kermen did you kill trying to get that right?

IIRC it worked perfectly on the first launch with all 13 souls making it just fine.  As @The Aziz pointed out, you have symmetry, so it's not much different than launching a rocket.

I did have some Kraken-y issues once in orbit though.

screenshot517.png

And there were many failures of single-shuttle launches.  Such as boosters hitting wings.

screenshot98.png

And, of course...

10 hours ago, Kerbalwerks said:

Did this a year or so ago, will not be exact for your craft but should give you a general idea ............. cheers!

NCC 1701 Lift To Orbit

How can you play it so smooth?How many parts on it? How can RCS strong like this?My RCS is so week...

10 hours ago, Kerbalwerks said:

NCC 1701 Lift To Orbit

I think that use the Rectifier Cover to make the central area of the deck is better.I think it's a little messy to do it with a wings.

21 hours ago, The Aziz said:

That may not be the answer you want, but it's the only thing I can think of: send two. Put them on the both sides of your lifter, and you have the symmetry.

First rule of government contracting: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?

1 hour ago, ZZYZZY said:

How can you play it so smooth?How many parts on it? How can RCS strong like this?My RCS is so week...

I think that use the Rectifier Cover to make the central area of the deck is better.I think it's a little messy to do it with a wings.

It took a while to build NCC - 1701 and getting the lifter to haul the ship up took some time too, just over a thousand parts, I cannot remember if that includes the lifter parts or not and you are right the wings do look messy, I do not believe the fairings were out yet when this was built therefore had to use something else for the saucer. You can download the craft file over at KerbalX and dismantle to see whats what.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.