Stock KSP 1.6. Transferring Kerbals from Command pod to station

I managed to assemble my brand new shiny space station. It has a Mk 1 lander can as the central hub, with docking ports (normal size, not junior or senior) on all sides and science modules hanging off the side of those.

After the station was built I launched a ferry craft to bring up the crew, docked, and then found that I could not transfer any of the crew out of my command pod into the lander can. Should the kerbals be able to transfer from the command pod to the lander can through the docking port? If so what actions do I need to take to "open" the docking port to allow transfer - does this need to be done before or after docking?

I did manage to EVA out all the crew and get them settled but that was kind of a let down to be honest.

Basically the setup was Lander Can:Docking Port  -><- Docking Port: Mk2 Command Pod.

What sort of science modules? was it a mobile processing lab or something else?

Someone I know has some issue with transferring crew between his station and his shuttle but

I couldn't replicate it for a bug report

Still cant replicate it. Can you give me your save and the craft files as well?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.