Crazy contracts

I remember getting the contract to eject a class E asteroid from the Kerbol system, but I skipped it since my science tree wasn't unlocked enough to complete such mission.

Now I just got a contract to mine 3000 ore on Eve and then make it to Gilly for 2m funds. I've build just a test craft (a capsule, ore containtrs, 4 jumbos and 4 twin boars) before taking the contract and it already weighs little over 300 tonnes with 4700 dV. Full of ore it has even less - 3800 dV. The TWR of empty ship at 0 alt. on Eve is 0.74 lol.

I wonder If anyone here has done that and how. The ejection contract at least seems doable because of mining, but Eve seem to require some mad engineering and multiple launches.

The only way to complete it is with a trick. There is no way in hell you can get more than a kilogram of ore off Eve's surface and into orbit.

The thing is, the game does not track the origin of ore. So you mine 3000 ore on Eve, and don't launch it. Then you land 3000 ore on Gilly and complete the contract. Or mine an additional 3000 ore on Gilly and complete the contract.

But that's cheating ... if you don't want to cheat, don't take the contract.

23 minutes ago, bewing said:

The only way to complete it is with a trick. There is no way in hell you can get more than a kilogram of ore off Eve's surface and into orbit.

The thing is, the game does not track the origin of ore. So you mine 3000 ore on Eve, and don't launch it. Then you land 3000 ore on Gilly and complete the contract. Or mine an additional 3000 ore on Gilly and complete the contract.

But that's cheating ... if you don't want to cheat, don't take the contract.

Huh, now I see that it's not the first impossible to complete contract. Thanks.

Any contract that wouldn't qualify as a challenge due to the poster not being able to complete it, should not be offered in the game.

So, Squad, show us how it's done. Deliver 3kT of Ore to Gilly from Eve for under $2M or we'll have to lock down your thread.

7 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Any contract that wouldn't qualify as a challenge due to the poster not being able to complete it, should not be offered in the game.

So, Squad, show us how it's done. Deliver 3kT of Ore to Gilly from Eve for under $2M or we'll have to lock down your thread.

Well you can always tweak the reward, Squad better be showing us how it is done at least with infinite money mod.

21 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

The contract system is about filling requirements creatively. Which is what I proveded. Players get punished for being too literal minded, and I have no problem with that.

23 minutes ago, bewing said:

The contract system is about filling requirements creatively. Which is what I proveded. Players get punished for being too literal minded, and I have no problem with that.

What do you mean by punished for being too literal minded? In career it's sometimes just boring contract i. e. dock in Mun's orbit or same for Minmus and you just complete it with a simplest craft you can build just for the money. But sometimes it's interesting to complete them as some of them are challenging if you're not very experienced player. I remember doing my first mining contract, I had to mine on the Mun 950 of ore pieces and make it to Kerbin orbit, wasn't that hard, but It was interesting as a first experience, I also liked the ship that I've built so I even left it in orbit docked with my station.

Ah, you probably meant that devs being too literal minded so the players struggle after.

Edited by Actually_New_KSP_Player

On 3/22/2019 at 8:45 PM, Actually_New_KSP_Player said:

I remember getting the contract to eject a class E asteroid from the Kerbol system, but I skipped it since my science tree wasn't unlocked enough to complete such mission.

Now I just got a contract to mine 3000 ore on Eve and then make it to Gilly for 2m funds. I've build just a test craft (a capsule, ore containtrs, 4 jumbos and 4 twin boars) before taking the contract and it already weighs little over 300 tonnes with 4700 dV. Full of ore it has even less - 3800 dV. The TWR of empty ship at 0 alt. on Eve is 0.74 lol.

I wonder If anyone here has done that and how. The ejection contract at least seems doable because of mining, but Eve seem to require some mad engineering and multiple launches.

You may want to read...

There are a lot of designs and contenders (including me) that have made several rockets to do this particular mission. The challenge in fact still seems to be active so you may just want to participate if your going to design a mission yourself anyway.

3 minutes ago, Aeroboi said:

You may want to read...

There are a lot of designs and contenders (including me) that have made several rockets to do this particular mission. The challenge in fact still seems to be active so you may just want to participate if your going to design a mission yourself anyway.

I may try to complete such mission at least for the sake of it once I'm done with my current heavily modded career playthrough, not sure about competing right now but we'll see.

Also just wanted to share the sentinel contracts that I got today, I already completed the other one simmilar to this, but it was like for 600k funds, now I don't even have to move my old satellite for a 7 million funds worth of contract.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.