Welcome to the Kerbal Bracket Challenge! A New Challenge By Johnster Space Program!

In the kerbal bracket challenge, 8 users will be competing to be the champion in a series of challenges for each round! In a bracket style chart.

But first, the rules!

Rules:

1. No cheating (No SFS Editing, No Mod Menu, Etc.)

2. Time Must Be Set To Kerbin Time!

3. No Mods (Except KER)

4. You MUST show Video (YT) or Photographic Evidence

5. Weight In Tons of Craft For Rounds 1 and 2 Must Be 150t or Under

6. Command Seats ARE Allowed

Point Scoring (For Round 3)

- Best Design: +10 points

- Fastest Time From Launch To Docking: +40 points

- Every Crew Member Onboard After 1: +25 points

- Every 1000 Funds Less Than 150000 in cost (including launcher): + 20 points

Timeline:

Time To Complete Round 1 - 1 week

Time To Complete Round 2 - 6 days

Time To Complete Round 3 - 5 days

Ok Now That We Got That Out of the way, lets move on to the challenge!

So, Before The Competition Can Begin, I Need 8 Users To Participate (Once I Have 8, anyone else wanting to join will have to wait until the first competition ends)

Also, the challenge is to see who can complete each challenge in the fastest time possible (in kerbin time like rescuing a kerbal) or in some cases, the most impressive!

Competition 1 (Users Participating): @Johnster_Space_Program, @Mythical Donuts, @bayesian_acolyte, @Aeroboi, @GRS

Here is what the bracket currently looks like (3 spots for R1 left):

FAvDkX6.png

And these are the badges you can get depending on how far you get:

2muaCo9.png P2llkzt.png ylVWUxc.pngAnd last of all, the winner badge: JiUe1Hl.png

To everyone that participates, good luck! :)

Here is each round and what you will have to do, specified (some will require using a .sfs file that I have created):

Round 1 - Jeb's Munar Rescue

Oh no, looks like jeb got himself stuck on the mun! You need to rescue him, but in the quickest time possible! Rescue him and bring him back to kerbin in 5 days or less... 

Objectives:

1. Get to the mun.

2. Land and rescue jeb.

3. Bring jeb back to kerbin safetly as fast as possible.

pK59yVn.png

Round 2 - Minmus Express

Johnster, Max, and Jim Kerman want you to bring them to minmus and back, but in the quickest possible time. Make their trip an express to minmus and back.

Objectives:

1. Have Johnster, Max and Jim Kerman Onboard.

2. Bring Them To Minmus, Into Low Minmus Orbit.

3. After bringing them to Minmus orbit, bring them back to kerbin as fast as possible!

pjiEo9U.png

Round 3 - A Module For A Station

Kerbals have recently put a station in kerbin orbit and need one more piece docked. You will launch and dock your custom built piece to the station, make it as impressive as you can!

Objectives:

1. Must Have A Clamp-O-Tron Docking Port

2. Must Dock With Kerbin Station

3. Must have RCS and SAS Control, And Liquid Fuel

Winner - TBA

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

Umm, perhaps I'm missing something here in my old age..... but what exactly is the competition?   You never seem to specify what it is you'll be doing.    If you ask a bunch of baseball players if they want to play a game, and then toss them a cricket bat and a hockey puck, some of them might change their answer....

1 minute ago, Gargamel said:

Umm, perhaps I'm missing something here in my old age..... but what exactly is the competition?   You never seem to specify what it is you'll be doing.    If you ask a bunch of baseball players if they want to play a game, and then toss them a cricket bat and a hockey puck, some of them might change their answer....

oh, the competition is to see who can complete the challenges that will be in the competition in the fastest time. (Like rescuing a kerbal)

1 minute ago, Johnster_Space_Program said:

oh, the competition is to see who can complete the challenges that will be in the competition in the fastest time. (Like rescuing a kerbal)

You probably want to specify what exactly each round will be, before having people sign up. 

Establishing some type of time table would also be useful. People need to have an idea of how quickly they are expected to make a submission in order to know if they have time to participate. And some amount of flaking is usually inevitable, so it is good to have a set amount of time to wait before moving on in that scenario.

Also I'm personally not a fan of subjective criteria in a head to head competition. If you are going to have a "most impressive" competition, I hope there is a set points system before hand so it isn't just up to someone's whims.

Lastly if Kerbol-time speed is the main goal, I hope there is some type of weight limit. Otherwise there is a big incentive to build into the tens of kilotons which is time consuming and punishes competitors with weaker computers.

All that being said this sounds like a cool idea, and I'll probably join if it's fleshed out a bit more.

36 minutes ago, bayesian_acolyte said:

Establishing some type of time table would also be useful. People need to have an idea of how quickly they are expected to make a submission in order to know if they have time to participate. And some amount of flaking is usually inevitable, so it is good to have a set amount of time to wait before moving on in that scenario.

Also I'm personally not a fan of subjective criteria in a head to head competition. If you are going to have a "most impressive" competition, I hope there is a set points system before hand so it isn't just up to someone's whims.

Lastly if Kerbol-time speed is the main goal, I hope there is some type of weight limit. Otherwise there is a big incentive to build into the tens of kilotons which is time consuming and punishes competitors with weaker computers.

All that being said this sounds like a cool idea, and I'll probably join if it's fleshed out a bit more.

ok, I have added a point system for round 3 (which is the most impressive one) and I have added a rule that for craft built in rounds 1 and 2 must 150t or under. I have also added what you have to do in each round for objectives.

14 minutes ago, Mythical Donuts said:

I wanna do it!

ok, I will add you to bracket now! (only need 6 more people)

5 minutes ago, bayesian_acolyte said:

Thanks for clarifying the rules, I'm in.

only 5 now

looks good so far! @Mythical Donuts @bayesian_acolyte

gpsSTKB.png

Edited by Johnster_Space_Program

10 hours ago, Kergarin said:

You should think about specifying if command seats are allowed. That's always a game changer.

Also a timeline would be helpful, like one week per round for example.

ok, I will add that.

There is now a timeline, and a command seat rule

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.